You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Issues
Moderated by Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Disc can't be authenticated? wtf!?
posted 11-25-05 18:22 EST (US)   
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted here in a while. Now that the 1.3 patch came out the game was running much better, but now it isn't running at all. Instead, I now get this error message in the picture below.

Original disc could not be found or authenticated?

This shouldn't be happening, the disc is in my CD drive, so wtf?

Please help me : (

Replies:
posted 11-25-05 18:37 EST (US)     1 / 11  
Did you install the correct 1.3.1 patch? There's both one for US and Europe plus the one for Stronghold 2 Gold.

If you have the originally released Stronghold 2, remember you need to use the second CD marked 'Play' for starting the game.

Also make sure to check the CD for scratches and fingerprints. Scratches can be removed by gentle and patiently polishing the scratch with toothpaste, rinse with clear water and dry with a lintfree cloth. Try if it works, if not try polish a little again.

Fingerprints can be removed with clean water and drying with a lintfree cloth.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
posted 11-25-05 18:54 EST (US)     2 / 11  
You know how when you start the game, it has that "auto updater", that's what I used to update the game, so I should I have the correct update, I hope...

I should try cleaning the disc, thanks for the advice!

UPDATE: After I cleaned it, I still have the same problem.

UPDATE: I tried cleaning the disc (even though it's perfectly clean), then I reinstalling the game and used the auto updater to update my copy to the latest patch, and I still have the same problem.

This sucks : (

[This message has been edited by NunRyder (edited 11-25-2005 @ 08:55 PM).]

posted 11-26-05 02:45 EST (US)     3 / 11  
Sounds like there might have been a slight change to the secu-rom files resulting in your drive not being able to handle it. Possible solution might be to update the firmware for you cd-/dvd-rom drive.

"I have met the enemy, he is us". Pogo
posted 11-26-05 10:39 EST (US)     4 / 11  
I found a way around this problem now. It doesn't give me that error message when I open and then reclose the CD drive (as if I am putting the cd back in.)

Strange....

posted 11-26-05 15:10 EST (US)     5 / 11  
Yes, this happened to me. Suffice to say get a new cd-rom drive is your only option, other than just not playing like me. For me, I don't have much option, so the only way I get to play is using one of my alternate computers, which are normally in use by family members.

Something about securerom makes it so that you have to certain requirements outside of just the standard system requirements. A sad biproduct of too much piracy/threat of piracy and unfortunately... its affected a number of users who, by all rights aren't doing anything wrong.

A few general requirements seem to be...
1. A solid cd-rom drive, newer and more common, as the ones that are not.. are not supported. For instance my philips CDRW400 series drive doesn't work at all, so I am forced to wait till I can afford to buy another cd-rom drive... so I'll probably be playing SH2 after christmas, if I'm lucky.

2. No "emulation" devices present, Darren has named off quite a few. Demon Tools, Virtual Drives, Alochol 120%, Blindwrite,
Get Right, Speaking Clock are the ones I've read from him.

3. There is no way for the makers of Securerom to test every single drive on the market, so your options are now down to picking only what they decide to test and make sure it works on. I would however, like it if FF/Darren/2K can find out which drives it DOES support, so when I find I have the money I could actually get one thats a promised working one. To go as far as putting it on the system requirements would be even better.. something along the lines of "You must have a cd-drive that supports feature X"

In closing, I think its rather silly to buy a new drive for a single game, but.. this isn't just a single game for a single play either, I still play SH1 and Crusader, so makes sense that its worth it.

[This message has been edited by Makkenhoff (edited 11-26-2005 @ 03:45 PM).]

posted 11-26-05 16:29 EST (US)     6 / 11  
A thought to keep in mind Sony drives have problems with secu-rom which Sony is well aware of and chooses not to do anything about it. My Samsung drive on the other hand is more than happy with secu-rom and plays nicely with it. There are other drives that have no problem with secu-rom.

"I have met the enemy, he is us". Pogo
posted 11-26-05 17:05 EST (US)     7 / 11  
If your drive caused no errors before patching and now does try changing the drive speed. This especially applies to newer high spin (>48x). This is a working fix reported for other games with similar protection.

I know of two methods to accomplish this but I'm sure there are more.

Tweak-XP Pro v4
Nero DriveSpeed

posted 11-28-05 13:58 EST (US)     8 / 11  

Quote:

Scratches can be removed by gentle and patiently polishing the scratch with toothpaste

Toothpaste? Sorry, it just seems a little strange... It actually works?

Join the Citadel: Total War mod. A modification for Rome: Total War.
Citadel: Total War
Saranalos and Custer's game
I love my bowler hat!
posted 11-29-05 00:54 EST (US)     9 / 11  
Yeah... you can do it with water and a 100% cotton cloth... just don't use polyester... unless you want to ruin your CD.
posted 11-29-05 09:21 EST (US)     10 / 11  
You can use a pouch of cotton, or a cloth, but really works! I've fixed my Counter-Strike Condition Zero nearby ruined cd with toothpaste!

If i'm posting something about bugs, lag or errors, this is my system:

Athlon XP (not Sempron) 2400+, Windows XP SP2, GeForce FX 5200 123MB Ram from Inno3D, 16x DVD-ROM, 52x CD-ROM (2), 512 MB RAM DDR,
DirectX 9.0c, Onboard Audio (Via), Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus (Via chipset).

posted 12-02-05 09:22 EST (US)     11 / 11  
The error is normall due to securom.

Bugman

Stronghold 2 » Forums » Technical Issues » Disc can't be authenticated? wtf!?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames