Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: NOTE: Author's Description
posted 02-08-04 14:23 EST (US)   
I've been seeing a trend here that's getting worse, and frankly...I don't like it.

More and more maps are getting uploaded with no text at all (or a mere: (Please) download this map), whereas the Author's Description is there for a description of the map.

Putting in no information that's actually related to the map is probably lazy and possibly unfair to the people looking for a map to play. At worse for you, people will ignore the map because there's nothing in the description to lure them into downloading it. On the other hand, people will have to download it to see what it's all about, which is unfair to them as it may be a map they're not even remotely interested in.

Please note that for a map to be approved after today, you will need to put in at least a brief description of what your map is actually about.

A few lines can suffice, for example: In this map you have a castle on a hill and will be attacked by bandits and the Wolf. You will need to grow apples.

Of course, we're not going to complain if you write more.

Remember, the Author's Description is your business card, it's what's supposed to make people want to downlaod and play your map.
So why not make use of it?

Angel Jayhawk
EyrieCaesar 4 HeavenChildren of the Nile HeavenStronghold HeavenCaesar 3 HeavenEmperor HeavenPharaoh HeavenZeus HeavenMy Deviations
Support your local HeavenMy RecommendationsEXCOHALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
Replies:
posted 02-08-04 16:01 EST (US)     1 / 5  
I couldn't agree more! I dont even bother to download maps without a proper description. A proper and good description page will entice me to take a look at the map.

DoY

posted 02-08-04 16:04 EST (US)     2 / 5  
I agree - we always try to do a short but detailed description with mini map and maybe a few pictures.

This is fault of beginner map makers rather than the experienced.

However, I do feel that the description should only really be limited to some quick info on the map. Some mad designers write out the whole storyline and I think this may be showing off more than anything else. Talos, Sulis and Yoshi have the right idea I think.

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 02-09-2004 @ 03:29 AM).]

posted 02-09-04 10:22 EST (US)     3 / 5  
I couldn't agree more! I believe that if i didn't write on my map "I like to build small castles, and this is one of mine" not many people would download my map, and would probably think "This must be one of those ordinary maps with medium sized castles and no real eye candy".

Well, there isn't eye candy, but this small castle beat up some bigger ones! If you're still interested on it, it's the castle #315 on the siege downloads. Here's the link to it.

http://stronghold.heavengames.com/downloads/php/descpage.php?type=Siege&id=315

I'm still waiting for rating, and the map was updated, for those that have already downloaded it. If you NAT or Sulis rated my map i'd be very happy, becouse I want to know my potential, and I want to know if you like it, becouse most of my maps have similar terrain shape.

Sorry if I shouldn't refer to my map and post a link to it. No need to tell me "That's all right" if i'm wrong...

[This message has been edited by NeKoeNMa (edited 02-09-2004 @ 10:24 AM).]

posted 02-09-04 13:29 EST (US)     4 / 5  
I also agree with Jayhawk. In real estate (when you are trying to sell a house) it's called "curb appeal." This means the house has to look attractive from the street - so people will want to stop and come inside to have a look.

There is another thread on the forums about why download numbers seem to be dropping. Part of it might be that the SHH site needs to be promoted but also EACH MAP needs to promote itself.

Ideally each map description page would have maybe a minimap, at least one screen shot and a decent description including a bit of the plot, why the author enjoyed making it (!) and perhaps an estimate of how long it should typically take to play through.

No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his great strength.
A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save.
But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love.
++33rd Psalm, Verses 16-18++
posted 02-10-04 04:50 EST (US)     5 / 5  
Couldn't agree more, I make it a formal policy not to download maps without at least a basic description of it's properties. Mine have been sparece I must admit, but I think a lot of people could spiff up their attempts at selling their maps a lot more.

Just have a shot at my maps, and a comment wouldn't hurt either:
McLugor Tale, Caerphilly Castle, Corfe Caste
Currently working on: Dheruses Klipper
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » NOTE: Author's Description
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames