Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Community map - Rome!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 01-10-06 07:36 EST (US)   
This is officially not a community map anymore.

-Houses - North
-Houses - North East - Stretch 23
-Houses - North West
-Houses - East
-Houses - West
-Houses - South
-Houses - South East
-Houses - South West - Jasper Tudor

Optional:
-Final touches on Dougleass' work (the forum, Colosseum and Circus Maximus)
-Finnishing the Circus Maximus - Lord Ako
-Designing the outside of the wall* - Jasper Tudor
-Final touches on the map - SimRPGplayer
-Balancer*
-An aquaduct which should lead to the bath
-Story/instruction writer (Alot of Roman history) - Darkslave Master

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 04-12-2006 @ 09:24 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-10-06 15:55 EST (US)     1 / 115  
I would like to join the community map if it is ok send it here Sportsking29@yahoo.com
posted 01-10-06 16:22 EST (US)     2 / 115  
What would you like to work on, picking from one of the positions stated on the first post?

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 01-11-2006 @ 10:17 AM).]

posted 01-10-06 17:58 EST (US)     3 / 115  
Tip: Send the map to participants by email. Read the first few pages of my Community Map to find out why.....

"If your rich uncle bought a new house and you had to help take the wheels off, you might be a redneck." -Jeff Foxworthy
"There was this one girl I was seein' for a few weeks, 'till someone took the binoculars outta my truck." -Larry the Cable Guy
posted 01-10-06 18:04 EST (US)     4 / 115  
Heh, this doesn't surprise me, I also tried to make a Rome map a few years ago but it was just too much to work on for so long. Nice idea to make it into a community map.

I would like to do the Circus Maximus very much! However, I can't do it immediately but a few weeks should be enough time to get it done. I would also suggest maybe starting it over and in the south east corner so it can be bigger. I would off the top of my head like to make it of stone, palistone and crenulated wood.

Perhaps I can do even more(I remember a nice temple from my old map etc.) but that will depend on how my other projects and school activities work out.

I suggest moving the wall to the edge of the map and adding custom towers and such. Leaves more space for the city, all you need is a signpost with some space around it, could even be inside a park..

Ok, let me know, Lord Ako. (Email: aron_ako@hotmail.com)

[This message has been edited by Lord Ako (edited 01-10-2006 @ 06:06 PM).]

posted 01-10-06 18:29 EST (US)     5 / 115  
I can do houses north east.
posted 01-10-06 21:32 EST (US)     6 / 115  
Hello, I don't have much of a reputation here, but I might be able to lend a hand with some custom buildings (though I would need a large expanse to work in). Also, I could make some "urban warfare" feasible (perfect if the player is attacking the city). I could place invisible archers inside a building and it would appear that units are shooting out of said building. Again, this would require some space, so if your map is getting crowded, there isn't much I can do for you.

Some examples of my work can be found in the "Most Inventive Eyecandy" thread in the Stronghold: Scenario Design Forum. Please note that these are by no means the limits of my technique.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
posted 01-10-06 22:10 EST (US)     7 / 115  
I will do a part.

Lords: Conquest - Medieval MMOG
"Come to think of it, how many people CAN fit on a pike?" -artofmath
"How to kill the Rat: Build 20 Horse archers and 10 swords men. Laugh at him." -Lord Michael I

[This message has been edited by MNICY (edited 01-10-2006 @ 10:10 PM).]

posted 01-11-06 10:23 EST (US)     8 / 115  
ok MNICY, what would you want to do?

And remember, that you have to have the same style as the houses I've made (east of the forum), and have stone roads pretty much everywhere, except for the gardens(which I would want to see). But I wouldn't nothing but enjoy, to see some creative house designs you made yourself.

ok, I think I will send it to Stretch23. You will do houses north east as you said you could. And Ako, since you will get "final touches on Dougleass' work", is that ok? If so, Stretch will send it to you after it's done.
And yeah, I know it should be bigger. Since only the north east corner will have stuff on it, you will have space to expand the arena. I wouldn't mind.
I would move the wall, but I don't want it to be too near the corner because I thought the enemies would come from there.

quotes:
"Send a minimap to me everytime you have worked with it."
And I hope you've read the first post Stretch. I'll send it to you right away!

And SimRPGplayer, you could maybe add some eyecandy to the city. You seem very skilled, was it you who found that magical eraser trick?

Note that I added this picture. This shows where North, south etc. are.

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 01-11-2006 @ 11:11 AM).]

posted 01-11-06 11:22 EST (US)     9 / 115  
I'm not famous here so something about my stronghold experience: Ok I'm a little new here (2 months or so, see koen's quest 1 and then 1 week earlier was my joining date) but i have been designing maps longer and like writing storylines.
Maybe I can write up a story leading to this point (although i'll need some more information on the map, will there be invasions?, of what character, how many, what's the starting date, should I include several important roman people and so on...) and of course: how long will it need to be minimally?

Dougleass just let me know what you think.

DS_M

[This message has been edited by Darkslave Master (edited 01-11-2006 @ 11:25 AM).]

posted 01-11-06 11:33 EST (US)     10 / 115  
I was thinking alot about Roman history. No people really, just generally. If no one else signed up, I would do it, and I would make like chapters "Roman economy" "The Colosseum" "How did Rome fall?" and so on. That means you would have to make alot of research. I have done some, and can send it over to you, if you're up for it. I'd add you to the list.
posted 01-11-06 11:40 EST (US)     11 / 115  
yea I think I can do that, does it has to be something like the complete roman history and not more or that and a partly fictional history? However, just sign me up and send your research results and more relating it to kever_koen@hotmail.com

Note: Ill b online here mostly from 10-11.30 server time displayed above
DS_M

[This message has been edited by Darkslave Master (edited 01-12-2006 @ 10:35 AM).]

posted 01-11-06 12:48 EST (US)     12 / 115  
I've sent you an email.

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 01-11-2006 @ 12:48 PM).]

posted 01-11-06 13:56 EST (US)     13 / 115  

Quoted from Dougleass:

And Ako, since you will get "final touches on Dougleass' work", is that ok? If so, Stretch will send it to you after it's done.
And yeah, I know it should be bigger. Since only the north east corner will have stuff on it, you will have space to expand the arena. I wouldn't mind.

That sounds good to me. But do you mean I can move the Circus or expand it at it's current location? My preference would be to move it so that it will take up most of the S, SE and SW sections of the city.

Are the structures owned by an enemy or by the player? That could also help decide on a story and name for it.

posted 01-11-06 14:44 EST (US)     14 / 115  
Yes I do, but I don't want it to be too big.
The buildings belongs to the player. I first thought it could be an economic map, since the economic state was kinda interesting, but I dunno...

I'll add u to the list!

btw, i've added you to "finnish Circus Maximus" since it's the only thing you want to work with.

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 01-11-2006 @ 02:46 PM).]

posted 01-11-06 15:48 EST (US)     15 / 115  
I can also add some custom towers to the wall
posted 01-11-06 18:21 EST (US)     16 / 115  
Yes, it was I who discovered the magic eraser (and most of its uses); though others noticed the same phenomena when working with wood. I just thought to use the effect.

I was thinking of adding things such as these:

...and this, sans stairs and door, as a structure in the aqueduct, perhaps feeding the baths, or just as part of a fountain. The water will appear to go through pipes or underground.

Also, would you have need of a giant tower?

I could do the same with a square tower if you wish for an even larger one.

Edit: Added the picture I originally meant to put in.

[This message has been edited by SimRPGplayer (edited 01-19-2006 @ 01:14 AM).]

posted 01-12-06 09:36 EST (US)     17 / 115  
Ok stretch I give you permission to do what you want with the wall.

And SimRPG, could you show me what you mean with the aquaduct? Would you like to get the "final touches on the map" position? You know, when the map is finnished, you could add alot of nice eyecandy things wherever you seem fit. Of course you would have to delete buildings standing in the way but that's no problem.
You could work on the wall and adding some stuff on it.

I need someone to fill these positions! After stretch has finnished his part, I will not allow anyone to work with it, until the bath and the theatre has been built.
-(between the road to the forum, and Circus Maximus)
A bathing house. Water should be oil I think, and there should be an aquaduct giving it water.
-A theatre. (I was thinking North)

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 01-12-2006 @ 11:28 AM).]

posted 01-12-06 10:18 EST (US)     18 / 115  
hey one cool thing to do with a bathing house is make people bathe, just put some "moat diggers" aka guys that can dig moat somewhere and put moat over it, they will sink in it halfly and still be of use, for the aquaduct, i saw simrpg doing something with a keep build in a mountain only showing its entry in the thread most inventive eye candy, maybe he can do that with gatehouses and raise the land in the middle to a level equal to the gates and put river or moat on it so you get sord of gates seeming to lead through an aquaduct (not really couse the higher land),
just some ideas.

DS_M

[This message has been edited by Darkslave Master (edited 01-12-2006 @ 10:33 AM).]

posted 01-12-06 19:09 EST (US)     19 / 115  
This is something I whipped up to show what I meant with the aqueduct.

About the Final Touches:

Hmm... I feel I would take too long on this. I would rather just add some eyecandy earlier on so I wouldn't have to delete as many things (and then end up rebuilding them). I guess I'll add some eyecandy towards the end of the map, but I doubt I'll be able to do many of the advanced tricks. If you can't tell, I'm kinda thinking this out right now myself...

Sure, I guess I'll take the posistion.

posted 01-12-06 19:45 EST (US)     20 / 115  
almost done then I send it to Lord Ako right?
posted 01-13-06 03:02 EST (US)     21 / 115  
yeah that looks nice SimRPG. So if there were staircases on the aquaduct, could the player walk to the other side through the tower?
I'll add you on the list and I hope you can do as much as possible on the map.
Is it possible to do this
Without that platform where the peasents gather? And will that castle that once stood there, take the place as the only castle, so it will be impossible to place another one?
And also, i've made an aquaduct placement, would you like to take it?

Yepp stretch, send it to Ako. But after you're done Ako, don't send it to anyone, if no one has taken the placement to build the bath or the theatre, if someone has, send it to him.

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 01-13-2006 @ 03:20 AM).]

posted 01-13-06 07:30 EST (US)     22 / 115  

Quoted from Dougleass:

Yepp stretch, send it to Ako. But after you're done Ako, don't send it to anyone, if no one has taken the placement to build the bath or the theatre, if someone has, send it to him.

Okidoki I can also finish the coloseum and forum romanum if you'd like. I was thinking of perhaps having a naval battle inside the coloseum(they did that sometimes) or showing how the central floor was made. They had dungeons with a wooden floor over them and sand on top of it. Are you sure the central part of the coloseum isn't round by the way?

I can also add a nice greek/roman styled temple if you want, just tell me where.

posted 01-13-06 10:33 EST (US)     23 / 115  
I was also thinking about naval battles, but it isn't as fun as it is now, because you can't really doa anything in game, can you?
I know the central part isn't round. Should it be?

And I would want you do delete the temple I made on the forum, and build your own one, because it's probably better.

btw, I want you to pay attention to this picture, that shows how the roman city should look like, atlest near the centre:

And stretch, if you're going to change your part, wait until Ako is finnished. I think you should atleast change the part near the forum.

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 01-13-2006 @ 10:36 AM).]

posted 01-13-06 11:27 EST (US)     24 / 115  
Erh...I'm not really good or into eye-candy and such, but I could help with some dirty work, like making stone roads or something. Anyway, if you need help with something boring that no one else wants to do, I'll help.
Edit: The inner part of Colloseum was round as well, but that would make the whole place look weird (as long as stairs are used as seats at least).

Sand is overrated. It's just tiny little rocks.

Check out my latest map, Dear Brother

[This message has been edited by Jasper Tudor (edited 01-13-2006 @ 11:29 AM).]

posted 01-13-06 17:23 EST (US)     25 / 115  

Quoted from Dougleass:

I was also thinking about naval battles, but it isn't as fun as it is now, because you can't really do anything in game, can you?
I know the central part isn't round. Should it be?

And I would want you do delete the temple I made on the forum, and build your own one, because it's probably better.

Allright, I'll redo the temple. As for the coleseum: I think it would be better to make it round, that way you can claim historical accuracy. What are you planning to do inside the colleseum gameplay wise currently?
Because a naval battle can involve catapults, shields and arrows to name a few. You could place a unique opponent faction in the colleseum and tie an event to their demise. (You'd have to win the naval battle.)

About the Circus Maximus: It is still unclear to me if I am allowed to move it, and if so, where. As I said before, my preference goes to the SW,S,SE part of the map.

I have also looked at all the pictures you have posted here and in the other thread so far and plan to do tons of historical research before I place as much as even a single tile of wall, hehe.

Finally, I suggest adding some elevation to the map, wasn't Rome build on a hill? And it seems important to me to quickly come up with at least a vague idea of what the gameplay will be like. And what kind of story we're going to use. The scenario will probably be long I guess? It might make things more interesting in that case if we throw in some economic goals as well.
And I like how the roads with houses and workshops look but we have to make sure there are still things for the player to do and that there is space to build stuff.

[This message has been edited by Lord Ako (edited 01-13-2006 @ 05:33 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » Community map - Rome!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames