Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to build a Cow Farm, step-by-step instructions
posted 02-12-02 08:26 EST (US)   
How to build a Cow Farm, an article by Aoshi , the article writer personality of Yoshi aka lord_yoshi

Ever wanted to make your own cow farm? Well, in Stronghold, there is actually already a building for a cow farm, the dairy farm, but by following these step-by-step instructions you will be able to make your own cow farm with as many cows as you can imagine (within the sprite limits of course!).

1. Planning the Cow Farm

First you must plan where you want to have your cow farm. Remember, that it can take a lot of space, so at least have full screen of space (if you're playing in 800X600 mode, don't know about the other resolutions, but this is not the point of the thing!)

2. Building the Corral

Surround the area you want to have as your cow farm with wooden walls and lower the walls once. To lower a wall, just place a rock from the features on top of the wall, then remove the rock and lower the height back to min height. Put some shrubs and rocks, too as they make the corral look prettier.

To create the a gate for the corral, either use a gatehouse or The Magic Box.

3. Placing the essential buildings and filling your Granary with food

Of course, you have to place a keep to get your peasants to work. Then place one or two (one preferably as it makes it easier) dairy farms to get your cows breeding. A granary is recommended (fill it with food), then place a few tanner's workshops within the enclosure. You can build them more later so don't worry. Next, leave the map editor and from the starting goods panel set enough food, wood and gold as you will need them. Then leave the whole editor! (of course, you have to save the scenario first!)

4. Working in the game

Open the scenario and repeat the following as many times as you want:

Placing a cow on the map

1. Place a tanner's workshop.
2. Wait until the tanner gets a cow.
3. When she gets the cow and starts bringing it back to her workshop, delete the workshop.
4. The tanner will become a peasant, but the cow will stay on the map and move to the place where the workshop was and will stay there!

In other words, when you place a tanner's workshop, you're placing a zone for a cow.

When you have enough cows on the corral, save the scenario. Then change the .sav extension to .map and place it to your /Maps folder.

5. Return to the editor

Open the saved .map file in the editor and then do the fine adjustment: you probably want to replace the dirt terrain of the corral with grass, as it would be so wrong if the cows had to eat dirt instead of grass!

Your cow farm is now ready! Be sure to use it as eye-candy in your scenarios even though it doesn't work for food production purposes (at least my cow farm didn't produce cheese) but it is still nice eye-candy.

Here's the finished cow farm:

Small image:

[This message has been edited by lord_yoshi (edited 02-12-2002 @ 08:27 AM).]

Replies:
posted 02-12-02 08:32 EST (US)     1 / 27  
Will later tanners built go after these cows?
posted 02-12-02 08:46 EST (US)     2 / 27  
He he he, it seams like running of the the editor and increasing productiviy by 400% payed off Lord Yoshi!
This is EXTREMELY cool and so much more beatifull and realistic then those small square farms!
Here is something funny, I was just talking about cow farms with a friend of mine, we said that when you place cow farms next to one another the inner fences should dissapear, next thing I did was visit the site and I saw this! Almost scary. :-)
I will post one of my farmsteads with this design implemented, so keep an eye out for that.
posted 02-12-02 08:47 EST (US)     3 / 27  
Teehee
You'd best use another colour's granary then?

Angel Jayhawk
EyrieCaesar 4 HeavenChildren of the Nile HeavenStronghold HeavenCaesar 3 HeavenEmperor HeavenPharaoh HeavenZeus HeavenMy Deviations
Support your local HeavenMy RecommendationsEXCOHALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
posted 02-12-02 08:52 EST (US)     4 / 27  
Another novel idea I'm impressed
posted 02-12-02 13:13 EST (US)     5 / 27  
Coolio

Brave Sir Robin
Expert combiner of official Stronghold art.
Knavish Knave of Knavery, The Tragedie of BSR.
Scenario Designer and Member of Tsunami Studios.
Head of The Tsuniversity

posted 02-12-02 14:36 EST (US)     6 / 27  
Ako, the fences don't disappear on cow farms, methinks. At least not on my version.
posted 02-12-02 15:32 EST (US)     7 / 27  
I said SHOULD dissapear, we were talking about game improvements
posted 02-12-02 21:10 EST (US)     8 / 27  
Nice stuff! Well done, yoshi!
posted 02-13-02 06:46 EST (US)     9 / 27  

This is quite annoying!

Tanners placed after making the farm don't go after these cows, but you should note that if you delete the dairy farm all the cows most likely disappear.

[This message has been edited by lord_yoshi (edited 02-13-2002 @ 06:48 AM).]

posted 02-13-02 21:43 EST (US)     10 / 27  
LOL, I've got a little variation on this ;
a chicken farm!

It made almost entirely using tricks.
The gate is a magic box, the wall is lowered with big rock, the farmer's hut is that of an apple farm with the trees deleted, the grain is a stockpile with the center cross shot out and loaded with wheat, and the chickens belonged with a deleted granary, :-)
We're quite the Houdinis here, heh :-)

posted 02-13-02 22:06 EST (US)     11 / 27  
Well, here is my farmstead with the cows.

Lord Yoshi, I think the heap of cows is formed when something goes wrong at the pick up of a cow by the tanner, I had it too, but only once. When this happens one of the three cows does not respawn in place, but on top of another, as you can see I have 1 seperate cow left and two on top of each other, if the second cow is also respawning on top of the other two, a heap is formed.
So load if the pick up goes wrong.
I think the bug happens when multiple tanners go for the same cow, not sure on that though.
Hope this helps

posted 02-13-02 22:18 EST (US)     12 / 27  
Cool chicken farm, Ako.

Just a couple of questions-

Could you put more chickens by building and destroying more granaries?

How did you delete the apple farm trees? With the mace?

Could you explain the stockpile again?

Sorry

Brave Sir Robin
Head of The Tsuniversity

posted 02-13-02 22:59 EST (US)     13 / 27  
Don't worry Sir Robin, I'm not easily annoyed. :-)

In a test for the chicken farms I had four full granaries and a lot of chickens, so yes I think you can have more.
I think you get a max of 6/7 chickens per granary, depending on how full it is.
Maybe you can even use the enemys chickens.
When you delete the granary during play the chickens dissapear, not so in the editor.

The apple trees are deleted with the eraser tool, not the mace, if you try that the entire farm is destroyed.

The stockpile trick : In the editor place stockpiles, then let enemy trebs/cats shout at it, you can target them at the corners. This will destroy and permanetely remove their cement centercross, leaving the four indestructible squares at the corners.
This stockpile is still working.
I will post an how to make on haystacks soon.

The trick of having the lone workers hut of an apple farm
opens up the possibility of chicken farms, farms that have a fake acre that can be as large as you like, constructed of rows of the smallest shrub, rabbit farms, orchards that are build up of trees that have grown out of an original orchard, thus looking far more realistic and still functioning.
And it would look nice inside the cow farm too.
Note that you can raise an apple tree to any desired height, so you can put them on top of small hills in the "trick orchard".
I will also post a screen of such an orchard and a fake acre farm on this thread soon.

posted 02-13-02 23:48 EST (US)     14 / 27  
Nice, Ako

I just don't have your patience sometimes

Brave Sir Robin
Head of The Tsuniversity

posted 02-14-02 00:49 EST (US)     15 / 27  
Here is an orchard I designed, nothing special:

Brave Sir Robin
Head of The Tsuniversity

posted 02-14-02 04:25 EST (US)     16 / 27  
Looks good, Sir Robin.

Ako, that's some most intriguing playing around.

Angel Jayhawk
EyrieCaesar 4 HeavenChildren of the Nile HeavenStronghold HeavenCaesar 3 HeavenEmperor HeavenPharaoh HeavenZeus HeavenMy Deviations
Support your local HeavenMy RecommendationsEXCOHALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
posted 02-14-02 05:47 EST (US)     17 / 27  
Nice, Lord_ako!
posted 04-26-02 10:00 EST (US)     18 / 27  
The Cow Farm doesn't seem to work anymore. Does anyone know how to make this work with the V.1.2 patch?

The link to the Cow Farms thread in the Compendium should probably include the text "Does not work with the V.1.2 patch!"

Well, at least the Chicken Farm should work

[This message has been edited by lord_yoshi (edited 04-26-2002 @ 10:02 AM).]

posted 04-26-02 10:08 EST (US)     19 / 27  
Aha, that was probably "corrected" either at the same time of, or because of the correction to, the tanner refusing to be consumed by flames.

I've taken to keeping a "local" copy of the compendium code on my computer at home, which is why I'm not correcting this right now. There are a few more minor changes that need be made, though, and I was planning to just do a quick fix this weekend (this includes the fact that the last time I made changes, I didn't use my local copy, so BB broke all of the bookmark links, a problem which initially caused me to go to the local copy method).

[This message has been edited by thurdl01 (edited 04-26-2002 @ 10:12 AM).]

posted 04-26-02 14:26 EST (US)     20 / 27  
So can you still have a cow farm in 1.2 even if you can't build them? (i.e. can you build the farm in 1.0 or 1.1, then load and play the map in 1.2)
posted 04-26-02 14:34 EST (US)     21 / 27  
This is a guess, but most of the other fixes aren't retrospective to older maps, so I'd guess that yeah, already may cattle ranches should still be around.
posted 04-27-02 04:53 EST (US)     22 / 27  
Cool Cow Farm

Toet
posted 01-08-03 22:19 EST (US)     23 / 27  
Some of the pics on my com puter are not showing up why is this?

<><><><>Knight of the Old Code<><><><>
Winner of:The Kindest Forumer At AoMH.Thanks Lost_1n_Space!
Also I have been bestowed with the honor of:
The Kindest Crusader Award
Thank you Lady Arcola!

Stronghold Knights
posted 01-09-03 15:46 EST (US)     24 / 27  
This is a very pld thread. The pictures to which thee links once lead most likely no longer exist online. You will find this same problem with most of the older threads.

Conor_the_Great
"Only two things are truly infinite- the Universe, and Human Stupidty, and I'm not so sure about the former" (albert Einstein).
posted 01-10-03 10:34 EST (US)     25 / 27  
Well, this trick doesn't even work anymore, because the v.1.2 SH patch fixed the bug that enabled this trick, so it doesn't really matter if the pics don't show up anymore.

I can, however, post the picture of the cow farm on my SD site in the eye-candy gallery. I'll tell you when I've done that (tomorrow, probably). I've been needing to update my site anyway, so I just might as well post the cow farm pic, too.

"That buzzing-noise means something. You don't get a buzzing-noise like that, just buzzing and buzzing, without its meaning something. If there's a buzzing-noise, somebody's making a buzzing-noise, and the only reason for making a buzzing-noise that I know of is because you're a bee." Winnie-the-Pooh, the World's greatest philosopher

Tower of Stronghold & Crusader Scenario Design

posted 01-11-03 11:30 EST (US)     26 / 27  
Visit the GalleryII if you want to see the picture of the cow farm.

"That buzzing-noise means something. You don't get a buzzing-noise like that, just buzzing and buzzing, without its meaning something. If there's a buzzing-noise, somebody's making a buzzing-noise, and the only reason for making a buzzing-noise that I know of is because you're a bee." Winnie-the-Pooh, the World's greatest philosopher

Tower of Stronghold & Crusader Scenario Design

posted 01-11-03 12:03 EST (US)     27 / 27  
Yoshi and all, hi!
I think
you should
post these results of
your efforts in the
eye-candy section,
so people who
do not check the
forums will get
an idea of how
nicely one can
play around.
Just a thought
cu
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » How to build a Cow Farm, step-by-step instructions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames