Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Using several signposts
posted 03-15-02 05:21 EST (US)   
Hi,
Iīm a new member since about a week
Must say that the site is great - Without a doubt the best place to learn about mapdesign and more
I have posted a invasion map called Homealone2, would be greate to get some feedback/comments on it.

Now, the question...
If one wants to use several signposts on the map, so that the player cant be sure from which way the next attack will come. Is there any way to "force" an invasion to a certain signpost ???? Has anyone noticed any logic - maybe if you have three different opponents attacking will they take one signpost each ... ??

//Regards //StenSture

Replies:
posted 03-15-02 08:39 EST (US)     1 / 11  
There have been several posts asking this lately, but no one seems to know. We're still hoping someone official will stop by and clue us in
posted 03-15-02 14:02 EST (US)     2 / 11  
I asked this way back when I joined and have done alot of tests,

there is a little logic

if a sign post does not have easy access to the keep IE you dug a moat around it and there is another signpost availibe that isn't blocked, they will go to that.

the closest one to your keep will be the most used unless blocked off as mentioned

there is no way of picking what signposts you want to attack from, so there is no attacking from 2 sides.

the only way to make it truely random is to have all sign posts equal distance away from the keep

Sorry for the bad news

"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite. "
"Strength lies not in defense but in attack."
" you were born to be a chalk outline"

posted 03-15-02 21:41 EST (US)     3 / 11  
This was one of first questions to myself when I started designing scenarios. I too wanted to have the AI take random entry points so I would have to respond to the invasion instead of "knowing" where they would come in time after time.

The equi-distant rule really applies. So does the barrier rule. After a week's worth of trial and error I have found that if sign posts are placed center of each side of the map, OR into the center of each corner, then the AI will "rotate" the entry points. But it is very important that you find the correct "point of center" for the corner or side.

Also, there is a catch. I'll explain like this. IE, if one side of your map has a seaside to it, then naturally it would need to be further in towards to center of the map proper, yet if there is no access to "off map-screen" to that side of the game map, then no troops will appear. The sign post has to have access to areas off screen for the enemy troops to enter. So, then, if the entire one side of the game map is ocean, then that respective side will not allow troops to enter, regardless. Some aspect of the map has to have an unobstructed link to off map to allow the sign post to operate.

posted 03-18-02 14:48 EST (US)     4 / 11  
I have found you can have 2 attacking armies, it is as follows:
place one signpost on one side of the map,in a corner or such.Then place one directly
across from it on the side or corner.
Have say,the Rat and the Snake attack @ the same time, they both may come in on the same post,
but one will travel accross the map to the other post. They will then attack at or near
the same time.
I have found that they rarely fight each other, and, if the Stronghold is set up where they can attack from two sides, they will.
Hope this helps, Rockpile.
P.S. Don't use bandits in this, as they will be slain by the character troops!
posted 03-19-02 03:26 EST (US)     5 / 11  
The problem with them walking across the map, Rockpile, is that this may lead to them being slaughtered well before they actually attack.

Angel Jayhawk
Eyrie • Caesar 4 Heaven • Children of the Nile Heaven • Stronghold Heaven • Caesar 3 Heaven • Emperor Heaven • Pharaoh Heaven • Zeus Heaven • My Deviations
Support your local Heaven • My Recommendations • EXCO • HALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
posted 03-19-02 14:16 EST (US)     6 / 11  
As i said in my post Jayhawk, "they rarely fight". It seems that the Rat & Snake are more like allies.
And, it should be a large map, with plenty of room for them to bypass your keep. If your Keep is to
close when they enter the map, 40% of the time they will fight. Also, the closer the post is to the map edge,
the less likely they are to fight, i.e. they come in "as" one large force.
posted 03-19-02 15:58 EST (US)     7 / 11  
I think what AJ meant about "is that this may lead to them being slaughtered well before they actually attack. " was not them fighting each other but rather that by crossing the map they will often leave themselves open to being picked off by crossbowmen/archers.

In testing one of his missions I did exactly this, managing to kill off a large attacking force of swordmen/pikemen while they marched up to the far end of the map. They just keep marching and don't even attempt to fight back!

posted 03-19-02 17:11 EST (US)     8 / 11  
Just want to enlighten you all, enemy troops NEVER attack each other, only each others castles/walls sometimes with siege equipment, but never in combat
posted 03-22-02 10:01 EST (US)     9 / 11  
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies. Will try to make use of them in future maps.

Regards//StenSture

posted 03-22-02 15:52 EST (US)     10 / 11  
Glad that's cleared up, Ako.

Brave Sir Robin
Expert combiner of official Stronghold art.
Knavish Knave of Knavery, The Tragedie of BSR.
Scenario Designer and Member of Tsunami Studios.
Head of The Tsuniversity

posted 03-23-02 10:52 EST (US)     11 / 11  
Here's an idea--Place tons of signposts all around the perimeter of the map, and schedule invasions every month. Then play the map and see which signposts actually "work", go back to the editor, and delete all the other ones.
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » Using several signposts
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames