posted 06-03-02 00:07 EST (US)   
1) Place the number of keeps appropriate to the number of players that you want in your map.
2) Divide the map evenly and give each player equal building room, resources and high ground. High ground is important, as it gives ranged units extra distance, and slows the movement of uphill attacking units.
3)DO NOT MOVE the stockpiles stockpiles and DO NOT have ANY peasants on the map. Either may
4)Get creative with the "free zones" as I call it. You cant have the entire map gorged with beautiful terrain, but that doesnt mean you can't do some. On the example map that I've presented, You can switch and move the areas around, just make sure that the keeps are positioned correctly and that if your making the "battle zone" thinner, your more likely to choke.

All this depends on the amount of resources that you want to include in your map. This example is set for a high resource map, capable of holding 200-300 peasants each side, which does choke down the army size. *sprite limit*

Remember, its ok to fiddle around with this, but try to have each "zone" for each player.

The only zone that NEEDS to be placed on a certain hight is the food zone. If you put it any higher, all you can produce is cattle. Apples and bread are the mainstay of the MP gaming world, and you could be stepping on potential players toes if you plan to raise that zone. By all means, low resource games have them higher, but remember, it might not go over with all players.

Things to avoid:

• Bridges as the only way across. Knights cant pass, and they can get destroyed
  • Choke points. They cause stalemate games.
  • Food zones on high high ground. I really cant emphisize that enough.
  • Entire maps at Max hight. The players wont be able to produce food.
  • Animals. You cant have them on MP maps. They die instantly and may defeat the effect that you want. *ie, your map goes from "island of wolves" to "island of wolf carcass'"*

I hope that helps. I'll try to make regular passes to field any questions about this topic.

Guard your walls, I am coming.
My Recommendations

[This message has been edited by Wraith (edited 12-20-2005 @ 02:21 PM).]