Website Announcements and Updates
Moderated by Lady Arcola, Doomsword

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Castles of Wood, Men of Leather
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 07-02-04 09:06 EST (US)   
When we think of castles we think of massive stone constructions like the Crac des Chevaliers, Chateau Haut-Königsburg or Caernarfon, but before there were stone castles there were wooden ones. Before there were armoured knights, there were the lowly spearmen and archers.

Stronghold Heaven is presenting another mini-competition scheduled for the summer holidays: Castles of Wood, Men of Leather.

What we'd like you to do is build us a scenario, of any type, featuring a wooden castle or fortress, in a setting of your choice. The stronghold should be one of the two wooden ones and no stone may be used in it's construction. Troop types should be limited to archers, crossbowmen, spearmen and macemen.

We are expecting a fully fledged scenario, as it will be judged on the castle, its setting and associated story.

The contest will run from July 2nd to August 31st.

Angel Jayhawk
EyrieCaesar 4 HeavenChildren of the Nile HeavenStronghold HeavenCaesar 3 HeavenEmperor HeavenPharaoh HeavenZeus HeavenMy Deviations
Support your local HeavenMy RecommendationsEXCOHALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 07-07-2004 @ 02:38 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-02-04 09:41 EST (US)     1 / 34  
Cool! It doesn't have to be an invasion, does it?

.-°-.- Kester -.-°-.
-.-°-.- deviations .-°-. flickr .-°-. gamertag -.-°-.-
.-°-.- if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } -.-°-.
posted 07-02-04 11:49 EST (US)     2 / 34  
Nope, Kester, it can be a siege, or even a freebuild, any type.
Although I thikn we'll pass on multiplayer ones

Angel Jayhawk
EyrieCaesar 4 HeavenChildren of the Nile HeavenStronghold HeavenCaesar 3 HeavenEmperor HeavenPharaoh HeavenZeus HeavenMy Deviations
posted 07-02-04 13:04 EST (US)     3 / 34  
Who will we send it to, Jay, you? And what's the deadline for submissions?

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
"It isn't bad for you if you won't live long enough for it to have any effect." - Brad4321
"But it would be hell of a lot harder to do a drive by shooting with a steak knife, don't you think?" - Messiah
"I always shoot my sense of humor before coming here." - Von
"And what's wrong with sucking? At least someone gets pleasure from it!" - ArcticWind7
posted 07-02-04 14:25 EST (US)     4 / 34  
Deadline is 31st August.

I'll have to check about sending in entries - whether we'll get an upload system organised or just use email.

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures
posted 07-03-04 03:04 EST (US)     5 / 34  
Question: Will we be able to use these scenarios as uploads after the competition?

Stupid question, I'm sure, but you never know til you ask!

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
"It isn't bad for you if you won't live long enough for it to have any effect." - Brad4321
"But it would be hell of a lot harder to do a drive by shooting with a steak knife, don't you think?" - Messiah
"And what's wrong with sucking? At least someone gets pleasure from it!" - ArcticWind7
posted 07-03-04 03:56 EST (US)     6 / 34  
Do you mean will you be able to upload them like you would any other scenario you make? If so, yes.

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures
posted 07-03-04 22:16 EST (US)     7 / 34  
One more thing: Are seige engines (catapults) allowed?

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
posted 07-05-04 02:03 EST (US)     8 / 34  
I definitely want the entries to be part of the DL section eventually. One of the things I was thinking is if people were to upload their entries and prefix the title with Castles of Wood:, I can hold off approving them until the contest is finished, then approve the lot of them.

As for siege engines, as we're looking early medieval, I'd say only the light weight stuff, no siege towers or trebuchets. I'm unsure about rams...

Angel Jayhawk
posted 07-05-04 12:32 EST (US)     9 / 34  

Hmmmm, this sounds interesting, I may ask my soothsayer if I shall indulge. one fine point my Lord Jayhawk, this obviously rules out the stone armoury?

Quote:

If you pay not a servant his wages then he will pay himself.

posted 07-05-04 13:48 EST (US)     10 / 34  
I'm not answering for you here, Jay, but I would assume the stone armoury would have to be allowed, like the church would be, as there is no alternative (made of wood) allowed by the game.

Is that fair to say?

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
posted 07-05-04 14:06 EST (US)     11 / 34  
If there's no alternative (as in the chapel & armoury) then the stone one will have to be used.

posted 07-05-04 14:14 EST (US)     12 / 34  
Why no crossbow men? The crossbow is used in Europe since the 10th or 11th century. (And I like crossbow men).

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw.
posted 07-05-04 15:01 EST (US)     13 / 34  
The allowed units are archers, spearmen, crossbowmen and macemen. Thy are allowed ladyjane.
posted 07-05-04 16:02 EST (US)     14 / 34  

Quoted from Jayhawk:

Troop types should be limited to archers, spearmen and macemen.

Not in Jayhawks message, Neko. Well, a crossbowman is a kind of archer, perhaps.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw.
posted 07-05-04 16:15 EST (US)     15 / 34  
Crossbowmen are allowed - I think Jayhawk included them as archers.

posted 07-05-04 17:36 EST (US)     16 / 34  
I saw the answerr accepting crossbowmen on another of theese topics (scen. design or map room).
posted 07-07-04 02:52 EST (US)     17 / 34  
Crossbowmen are Men of Leather (although the ones used in the game are a bit too modern). I do hope we will not get too many crossbowmen only scenarios, though.

As for the armoury, I guess that will have to be made of stone then.

Angel Jayhawk

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 07-07-2004 @ 02:59 AM).]

posted 07-07-04 03:27 EST (US)     18 / 34  
Don't have to worry about my submission containing crossbowmen, Jay, as it doesn't have nary a one!

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
posted 07-14-04 07:15 EST (US)     19 / 34  
sorry I have already asked this but I wasn't sure if Jayhawk understtod what I mean by wooden platform walls, or perhaps he did and I missunderstood his reply.

Can we use the walls which have flattened tops( created by placing stairs and then destroying them and placing wooden walls over them)?

I think it would be a good idea as we wont have to use to many wooden platform towers and we can then create our own custome towers aswell.afterall it isn't made of stone.

What do you think Jayhawk,can we or would you like us to use the original wooden walls?

WarLord_Designs.

posted 07-14-04 07:49 EST (US)     20 / 34  
As long as wood is the only thing you use for them, I'm fine with that.

Angel Jayhawk
posted 07-31-04 09:48 EST (US)     21 / 34  
Hi,
we are coming to the final stages of our map design and it is almost time to start placing troops, invasions etc.

I was wondering what siege weapons are able to be used?
Thanks.

posted 07-31-04 12:47 EST (US)     22 / 34  

Quoted from Jayhawk:

As for siege engines, as we're looking early medieval, I'd say only the light weight stuff, no siege towers or trebuchets. I'm unsure about rams...

I think rams would be ok (you wouldn't be marked down)

posted 08-02-04 02:11 EST (US)     23 / 34  
I think we can live with a ram (or two )

Angel Jayhawk
posted 08-25-04 05:36 EST (US)     24 / 34  
Just a reminder that the competition ends in 6 days' time. We've had a few entries, but more would be welcome

posted 08-26-04 05:26 EST (US)     25 / 34  
Since I don't see an update on how to submit entries, I uploaded mine in the normal way, with the title prefix "Castles of Stone".

edit: whoops, should have been "Castles of Wood" in the prefix. I did of course make everything (possible) out of wood as per the contest directions I just misnamed my entry . I can send it again if need be.

[This message has been edited by docweasel (edited 08-26-2004 @ 05:33 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Website Announcements and Updates » Castles of Wood, Men of Leather
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames