Stronghold and Crusader: The Map Room
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Seven Saints
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-20-06 16:39 EST (US)   
Whilst waiting for my playtesters and for inspiration to write the story for Ancient Oak 2, I have started a new map.

You wish to know how our abbey came to be? Very well, I will tell you. A devout woman, pure of heart, one day gave birth to a septuple. Usually in such cases one or more of the babies is stillborn but this was not so, all seven boys were healthy. They grew up following the example their mother set them, and all were known for their kindness and generosity. When they came of age, they told their mother God had called out to them, and asked of them to travel southward. Their father was a blacksmith and he made each of them a strong armor and a sharp sword. They would not take them at first, but the father persuaded his sons, saying they needed these to defend themselves from wild animals.

Some time after they had set out, they came upon a mountain pass so high that it might be considered a mountain itself. These mountains completely cut off the people living at either side. At the bottom of the pass they erected a stable and left three of their horses and the packmule behind. On the way up they build two lodges, so that wary travelers might rest and find shelter. At the top they constructed a small chapel. Then, descending, they build two more shelters and finally another stable where they left the rest of their horses.
In the fertile valley they founded our abbey; a house of God, a place of learning, a garden of healing and a field of nurture. The septuple were sainted by the pope during their lives, and as they sensed their coming death, they recorded the tenents of faith, the abbey rules we live by to this very day. Learn them well:
All should be able to travel.
The stables always hold fresh horses for those who cannot travel the pass on their own.
No traveler should ever be without food, drink or shelter.
Four inns are situated along the pass to provide for whoever needs rest or refreshments.
Every man or woman shall hear the word of God.
We are striving for a 100% blessed rate.
No house of God shall ever be demolished.
We protect the abbey with our lives and looters or thieves are exiled, God will pass judgment upon them when doomsday cometh.
Nobody shall have to work harder then they are able, and all shall have enough time to learn, pray and be with their family.
The abbey is richly decorated with many (herbal) gardens for relaxation.

And so ends our lesson for today, if you feel the need to pay tribute to the saints, perhaps you have a favourite, take a moment to reflect at their tombs.

As is often the case with my maps, this one features an abbey, although not a ruined one like Glendalough, but an abbey at its prime years. More innovative is the mountain pass at the center of this map. It is the only way to cross the map from north to south and peasants will continuously snake their way up and down the pass. (I used invisible rocks to get this to work.)
At the edge of the plateau where the enemy comes from is a ruined castle which will be your first line of defence. Once destroyed it can't be rebuild. At the north side of the pass lies a small town around its church. The people living there are starving because they lack sufficient farmland. This is why you have taken it upon yourself to provide them with food.
In addition to your own commitment, the Pope has requested you supply him with no less than 25.000 gold coins to restock his coffers!

I will gladly answer any questions and I'll probably upload some more pictures at a later time.

[This message has been edited by Lord Ako (edited 11-20-2006 @ 07:56 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-17-07 06:09 EST (US)     26 / 33  
Hi mate

this might sound a little odd but do you have a saved version of the mounains before you started to create the max height? i'd just like to see how you designed the mountains before all the hard work as i'm trying to emulate a similar feel for a freebuild im working on

Is there any chance i could have a look at this map in its current state if you dont have an earlier version?

thanks,
Arthus

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
posted 05-17-07 09:10 EST (US)     27 / 33  
Sadly I don't think Lord Ako's around these days, maybe he'll make an entrance again. If he doesn't reply here, I have his email address and could send a request for you or may be you already have tried this.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
posted 05-17-07 10:30 EST (US)     28 / 33  
I was going to let Arthus know about emailing, its probably the best way ato get a response.

I emailed him a couple weeks ago.
Hes just enjoying a holiday becasue of the good weather, so i'm sure he'll show up sooner or later.

Alexus.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
posted 05-17-07 10:40 EST (US)     29 / 33  
That's good to hear, it would be a loss to the community if he stopped making his great unique maps.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
posted 05-17-07 12:03 EST (US)     30 / 33  
we're still in contact, i know he visits this place more than you think hopefully seeing one of his threads lit up will get him to talk lol

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

posted 05-19-07 15:14 EST (US)     31 / 33  
Your plan worked! hehe.. I'll check at home to see if I still have old versions lying around, if I do I'll send one to you. Otherwise, I'll send the latest one. Haven't been designing as of late, due to nice weather as Alexus said and also because I'm into roleplaying currently. But I saw the latest competition and am seriously considering entering something, especially since I have a map halfway done that fits the criteria.
posted 05-19-07 20:37 EST (US)     32 / 33  
Thanks mate

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

posted 05-21-07 13:11 EST (US)     33 / 33  
This may probably be the map to end all maps. Lol, looks fantastic Ako! This looks like the map I need to get back in the swing of things, if you ever need a playtester, send it over!

bostonceltics92@yahoo.com

"It was a fine cry, but it had no bottom and it had no top, just circles and circles of sorrow."
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: The Map Room » Seven Saints
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames