The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The 2nd Fantasy Scenario Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 01-01-12 17:38 EST (US)   
Lords and Ladies, this year brings contests! On behalf of the Stronghold Heaven Staff I would like to invite everyone to compete in

The 2nd Fantasy Scenario Competition - For all games

The competition has closed

We are looking for fantasy/ficticious scenarios that can be set in any of the 6 games: Stronghold 1, Stronghold Crusader, Stronghold 2, Stronghold Legends, Stronghold Crusader Extreme or Stronghold 3. The scenario content is entirely up to you. The competition is designed to allow you all to let your imaginations run riot! The rules and mechanics of the competition are listed below:

- An user can join the competition with one or two scenarios: One for Stronghold 1, Stronghold Crusader or Stronghold Crusader: Extreme (Games Group I) and one for Stronghold 2, Stronghold Legends or Stronghold 3 (Games Group II)

- You must complete a new scenario, not a map already public on the downloads section of SHH or any other website (although you may use a semi-completed scenario from your hard drive)

- Only maps with scripting and preset gameplay. No skirmish, freebuild, castle builder, multiplayer maps are allowed.

- To join the contest, users will have to send their entries to Lord_of_Hell@heavengames.com along with any additional files (e.g. story/instructions).

- The entries are closing on 1st April 2012 Hopefully that will give enough time to everybody to show their best.

- There will be two winners, one for Games Group I and one for Games Group II (see the meanings upper)

- Entries will be judged by members of Stronghold Heaven Staff on unique scenario design, a strong story and/or instructions, excellent use of the editor and a genuine 'feel' of fantasy or fiction throughout your scenario.

- Eye candy is up to the designer. Lack of them will not affect the score.

Additional Notes & Updates

- In case you send your entry earlier then update your scenario, you can always re-send your entry and the last one will count. However, do not spam with entries.
In addition, the entries you send will have to be complete. Do not send files with the purpose to complete an earlier entry. If you forget something, re-send everything again.

- The Story counts equally as any other category (design, balance etc). Since it's a fantasy scenario, the story is a must. To keep it easy for everyone we will follow the review guidelines:
> No text -1.
> A couple of lines that don’t really explain the map or objectives - 2.
> A basic story that explains what the map is about- 3.
> Good, compressive and detailed story - 4
> Exceptional story - 5.
Rating goes down if there are grammar/spelling mistakes. No, you don't have to write a novel. If you found your map idea, words should come by themselves.

- Who are the exact judges?
Games Group I (SH1; SHC; SHC:E): Lord_of_Hell & Peter2008 & DeSteff2222
Games Group II (SH2; SHL; SH3): Doomsword & Stratego
Judges will evaluate each map in particular then compare them and decide together which is the best. Their decision is final.

- After the judges will have decided the best map for each Games Group, participants will be invited to submit their scenarios to the Stronghold Heaven Downloads section. [Edit 2nd April: No reason to further delay the maps publication. They are free to be released]
Soon after they are approved, each of them will receive at least one review from the judges.

The closing date for entries is 1st April 2012. The judging time will depend on the number of entries. Afterwards, the winners and their maps will be spotlighted in a news post.
Prize: The winners will get a Custom Title in the forums.

In this thread you can: ask questions, announce your participation, post pictures and updates from your contest map or suggest additions. Updates of the post will be noted in a post if required.

You may not submit your contest map to the download section until 1st April 2012 when the entries are closed.
In addition, Staff members that are judges must not playtest maps that are going to join the competition. This has to be in the users' attention as well. You can eventually request playtesting from another user but maps that have been tested by a judge and Staff member will not join the competition.

Who has announced his participation? (Click on a nickname to view his map updates!)
PerfectImperfect, Aleks S I (SH-K), Fayez2010, SkullHeroLord, WL_D Arthus, Charles of Tours (SH-K), wolfman4god, Duc Volpe (SH-K), PaultheDubious (SH-K), Adam the First, GiGaBaNE, AZ ViTrAzhAs, La LUmiere (Lord Falkord from SFH), Gryfon (SFH), The Dragonheart, Sir Killer CDL (SFH), Korsfarer Mogens, LordBlackadder.
Who has sent his entry ?
PaultheDubious (SH-K), Korsfarer Mogens, LordBlackadder
, Duc Volpe (SH-K), Fayez2010, Sir_Vet, Charles of Tours, WL_D Arthus, La LUmiere, Heroesflorian.

With that said, let us see as much competitors and competitive spirit as possible!

Good luck competing and have fun designing,
The Stronghold Heaven Staff

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//

[This message has been edited by Lord_of_Hell (edited 04-03-2012 @ 05:48 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-01-12 18:39 EST (US)     1 / 162  
Yes I am joining Sounds like fun
posted 01-01-12 23:56 EST (US)     2 / 162  
Well, I definatley intend to have a go at this, and I am eager to see what others will come up with.

"Judge not,
Lest ye be Judged"
-Jesus, Matthew 7:1, Luke 6:37
posted 01-02-12 04:04 EST (US)     3 / 162  
I'll definitely join. For SHC.

Titanic is as strong, even God can't sink it.
posted 01-02-12 06:21 EST (US)     4 / 162  
OK.I think I will join....
posted 01-02-12 06:41 EST (US)     5 / 162  
Sounds good already
Welcome to SHH Aleks SI.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
posted 01-02-12 14:28 EST (US)     6 / 162  
Not sure if i'll take part unless i'm allowed to have two titles if I win, oh and i'd also like to know which staff members will be judging if that's possible.

yeah, I need insentive to open up SH these days...

[This message has been edited by WL_D Arthus (edited 01-02-2012 @ 05:41 PM).]

posted 01-02-12 15:09 EST (US)     7 / 162  
I believe two titles are possible only if they will be something like "Master Illuminator & Contest Winner" (longer title, not one beneath the other if you know what I mean).

Currently, the judges are:
Peter2008 and I for Games Group I
Doomsword and Stratego for Games Group II

Entries only have to be sent to me though.

Any changes will be noted.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//

[This message has been edited by Lord_of_Hell (edited 01-02-2012 @ 09:02 PM).]

posted 01-02-12 17:42 EST (US)     8 / 162  
OK great, I like the sound of that. I don't want to come accross as insulting but I haven't been impressed with the judging in the past, that's why I asked.

I remember a comp we had a few years back where the winning map didn't even have a working victory condition, so I just needed to make sure the judges were going to be people that actually play the maps
I'm going to try my hardest to get a SH1 map done, youv'e given us a good amount of time which is nice. I hope some of the old timers come back and join in the fun
posted 01-02-12 17:55 EST (US)     9 / 162  
Your participation is good.

Don't worry about judging, every map will be evaluated exemplary.
And as a matter of fact I have also emailed some of the designers who are not that active anymore. If they check their mail and have the time, they'll get here.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//

[This message has been edited by Lord_of_Hell (edited 01-02-2012 @ 05:56 PM).]

posted 01-02-12 19:22 EST (US)     10 / 162  
Hello folks. My first post here at SHH. Noticing this scenario creation competition had my attention, as I am a Stronghold 1 map-maker by trade! Thanks to Lord_of_Hell for posting the information regarding this on our (I should include Aleks who on this page, above posted) humble site of SHK (stronghold-knights.com).

I had made several maps and uploaded them there, and also hinted towards what I may or may not currently be working on for a map

I suppose you should include me in group one, as I am less skilled with the editors of Stronghold 2 and Legends. My lower level of a graphics card also prohibits me from creating a map for Stronghold 3. Thus, the map will most likely be for "ye olde" Stronghold 1.

Regards: Charles of Tours

"Right action is better than knowledge. But in order to do what is right, we must know what is right." - Charlemagne

[This message has been edited by Charles of Tours (edited 01-07-2012 @ 10:48 AM).]

posted 01-02-12 19:34 EST (US)     11 / 162  
Greetings Charles of Tours and welcome to SHH

It's nice to see people are still interested in competitions and this one looks like it is going to be an interesting one.

Feel free to take the required time to make your map and send me your entry by 1st April 2012. In the meantime you can give us pictures and updates or talk about the map

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
posted 01-02-12 19:43 EST (US)     12 / 162  
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I will most surely (no, I'm not calling anyone Shirley) try to keep updated the progress of my maps. Perhaps my maps' fame could be spread by bringing them to this somewhat larger community.

I will most likely start up SH1's map editor shortly after making a topic of my maps, moderators not minding.

"Right action is better than knowledge. But in order to do what is right, we must know what is right." - Charlemagne
posted 01-02-12 19:48 EST (US)     13 / 162  
Don't worry, you can make a thread(s) for your upcoming projects in the Map Room section
http://stronghold.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forum/display.cgi?action=t&fn=17

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//

[This message has been edited by Lord_of_Hell (edited 01-02-2012 @ 07:49 PM).]

posted 01-02-12 20:13 EST (US)     14 / 162  
Thank you, but I already did. XD

[This message has been edited by Charles of Tours (edited 01-07-2012 @ 10:47 AM).]

posted 01-02-12 21:00 EST (US)     15 / 162  
Good news, Stratego will be a judge for Games Group II (SH2, SHL and SH3 maps) together with Doomsword.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
posted 01-02-12 21:54 EST (US)     16 / 162  
I have a question - will each map also be given a review? So the authors can see what was good and what went wrong?
posted 01-02-12 22:37 EST (US)     17 / 162  
You will surely see an entry from me! It sounds like a good challenge.

Run like heck, and earn your puke!
Wolfman
posted 01-03-12 07:09 EST (US)     18 / 162  
All maps' scores will be justified. Along with that, traditional reviews will come as well but I can guarantee reviews only for Games Group I (by myself).
After judging has ended I'm thinking to do a Top 3 or Top 5 maps to point the differences and what did the other maps miss to be the winning entry.

Glad you like it wolfman4god.
Adam the First also announced his participation but he didn't have the time to post.

Edit: Guidelines updated. Two more notes and an addition in the last rule.
Edit2: Firefly Studios posted about the Stronghold Heaven Competition in their Twitter and Facebook pages. Thanks!

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//

[This message has been edited by Lord_of_Hell (edited 01-03-2012 @ 02:28 PM).]

posted 01-03-12 18:13 EST (US)     19 / 162  
I am most certainly stepping aboard of this!
posted 01-04-12 08:41 EST (US)     20 / 162  
Hmmm...Can we still post requests for playtesting our maps before sending them?

PS.-I have something quite creative in works...
(Hint:It has got vampires in it.And traps.And it's a defending invasion.)
posted 01-04-12 09:02 EST (US)     21 / 162  
Yes you may request playtesting. (In other words, It's OK if another user volunteers to help you win the competition )

The only limitation is that the playtester must not be one of the judges.

The vampire idea sounds good
And welcome aboard Duc Volpe

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
posted 01-05-12 03:31 EST (US)     22 / 162  
Aha...OK.

Probably the best part of my map is gonna be the story.
posted 01-05-12 11:48 EST (US)     23 / 162  
Thank you Lord_of_Hell, this looks like fun, I appreciate you extending the invite 'beyond the borders' , look forward to it - I'm most likely going to make my map in SH1

Paul (LPtD)

His Dubiosity knows no bounds...
posted 01-05-12 12:54 EST (US)     24 / 162  
Hmm... This contest sounds very interesting. I think I will send in an entry too, I have a concept in my head.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." ~ Albert Einstein
posted 01-05-12 17:17 EST (US)     25 / 162  
Hey Paul, no problem. Have a nice stay at SHH and have fun competing
Hmm Adam, fantasy concepts are no problem for you, good luck with it.

Updates:
- As I get questions about the story, its necessity and length, I have mentioned its importance in the guidelines. A fantasy map requires a story because it won't have any meaning beyond the usual tasks without one.

- DeSteff2222 joined the Games Group I judges.

Note: No one said he is going to submit an entry for Games Group II (SH2, SHL, SH3) yet. Just saying - if there will be only one entry to that category, it will win.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//

[This message has been edited by Lord_of_Hell (edited 01-05-2012 @ 05:18 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » The 2nd Fantasy Scenario Competition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames