Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: FATE'S PORTAL - Reader's Comment Thread
posted 05-03-04 21:56 EST (US)   
FATE'S PORTAL

READER'S COMMENT THREAD

Please post your comments about FATE'S PORTAL in this thread and not in the Story Thread. All comments welcome. Thanks for posting.

Link to FATE'S PORTAL - A Story.

Edit: Story is now in archive and is properly linked.

[This message has been edited by Lady Arcola (edited 06-24-2004 @ 03:20 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-03-04 22:09 EST (US)     1 / 21  
Nice to see you back Civis
Will be waiting to for your first post.

«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»
Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

~ BFME2 Heaven | Stronghold Heaven | Stronghold 2 Heaven~
posted 05-04-04 15:00 EST (US)     2 / 21  
Weeeee, another story by Civis.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
posted 05-11-04 15:21 EST (US)     3 / 21  
I suppose you might be wondering what purpose the photo of a braced up tree might be serving.

Good.

posted 05-12-04 17:34 EST (US)     4 / 21  
Intruiging...... story........
posted 05-13-04 05:58 EST (US)     5 / 21  
...a real thriller..!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw.
posted 05-20-04 16:26 EST (US)     6 / 21  
Writing stories in this form is hard because you need to get into character, its alot like acting, and its difficult for writers whove never tried it before. For example, one of my favourite authors, Micheal Crichton is a great author, but his newest book, Prey, Is written in first person, and at times it seems as though Crchtons writing becomes lacking and bland. Civus i dont know if youve ever wrote in first person before, but so far youve been doing a great job!

Why I could say that there are two men who's combined knowledge covered all. Rudyard Kipling is one, and i am the Other. He knows all that can be known and i know the rest- Mark Twian
posted 05-20-04 18:33 EST (US)     7 / 21  
ICTOAGSN: This is my second story written in first person. My first (arguably) is in Stronghold Heaven's Story Archives and is titled MASQUERADE BALL. Not to give away the plot of the first story but it is actually written in pseudo first person, thus making it more akin to third person narrative than first person.

You are correct about the difficulty. I have had to get into the character of Robert Lackland and 1) expose his imagined personality making it seem real, 2) put words into his mouth suitable to his personality and the situations he finds himself in, and 3) construct a mystery plot and have him travel down its path just as if he (and the reader through him) were experiencing it for real. Several rewrites later I post it in the story thread and hope for the best.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll try not to disappoint anyone as the story goes through its paces and the surprises begin to unfold.

posted 06-03-04 23:52 EST (US)     8 / 21  
Nice Civis, you have my intrest.

Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

posted 06-15-04 16:15 EST (US)     9 / 21  
The story is now concluded. All comments and criticisms welcomed. Feel free to tell me what you think of this story. And thanks for reading it.
posted 06-16-04 01:28 EST (US)     10 / 21  
Great story but there is one mayor problem with it... it is way too short.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
posted 06-16-04 02:01 EST (US)     11 / 21  
Oh My! I agree with Dania. What an unexpected ending! Brought a big smile to my face, Thank You Civis! Well done.

Edit: I closed the story Civis, and will place it in the archive after it stays here a little while.

Seraph Lady Arcola

[This message has been edited by Lady Arcola (edited 06-16-2004 @ 11:20 PM).]

posted 06-18-04 07:21 EST (US)     12 / 21  
Well I confess that, until today, I've been too busy lately to keep up.

Today I had the time to spare and finished reading the story, absolutely wonderful, and a nice surprise ending The clues were there of course and, being English history, I had an inkling of what was to come.

Great story, well written and a pleasure to read.

You really should contact a short story publisher, Civis

posted 06-18-04 12:49 EST (US)     13 / 21  
Thank you, Lady A, PCD and GQ. I appreciate the feedback. I don't know how these stories will be received when I launch into them. I write them hoping I won't be making a fool of myself.

I am inching ever closer to full fledged e-publishing but haven't quite pulled the trigger. I need to find some advice and links. The advice would be on how to fully prepare the work for e-publication and the links would be to proper, honest sites willing to host the work. They need not be free, just reasonable, and do not demand full rights to the work when published. I think another trip through Google might be in order, as well as an Amazon.com excursion and a visit to BarnesNoble or Borders Bookstore.

posted 06-18-04 13:28 EST (US)     14 / 21  
Rest assured Civis, you are very bad at making a fool of yourself.

Personally I'm hoping for you starting to write 4-500 page novels to be printed on paper

posted 06-22-04 15:20 EST (US)     15 / 21  
I am considering the following storywriting options once I complete my ongoing UK travelogue thread:

1) Completing A MATTER OF CONSEQUENCE, a group story started earlier this year.

2) Writing a new solo story about Vikings in SH.

3) Writing a new solo story about Romans in CBH.

4) Conducting a "writing challenge" in which forumers in SH can give me a very abbreviated story idea and challenge me to turn it into a full-fledged story.

Tell me what you think, please.

posted 06-22-04 15:37 EST (US)     16 / 21  
2 - Viking story!

.-°-.- Kester -.-°-.
-.-°-.- deviations .-°-. flickr .-°-. gamertag -.-°-.-
.-°-.- if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } -.-°-.
posted 06-23-04 01:31 EST (US)     17 / 21  

Quote:

2 - Viking story!

posted 06-23-04 02:21 EST (US)     18 / 21  
4- that sounds fun

Civis I archived the story and changed the link so it works.

Seraph Lady Arcola

[This message has been edited by Lady Arcola (edited 06-24-2004 @ 03:21 AM).]

posted 06-25-04 03:39 EST (US)     19 / 21  
I hate to see things left undone and would have you resurrect 'A Matter of Consequence' once again. The story had just moved into the adventure portion of it.

But I also wouldn't mind reading a story about Vikings

[This message has been edited by Micah Aragorn (edited 06-25-2004 @ 03:40 AM).]

posted 06-25-04 11:19 EST (US)     20 / 21  
Nice to see you Micah .
'A Matter of Consequence' Seems to lack co writer commitment.
We would need some dedication to get that rolling again.

Seraph Lady Arcola

[This message has been edited by Lady Arcola (edited 06-25-2004 @ 11:20 AM).]

posted 06-25-04 15:46 EST (US)     21 / 21  
Well, I guess I'm a little undecided, as well as in need of a recharge. I'm going to continue to do the UK travel thread until it is completed and then consider something to do for fun.

Anyone who wants to try a No. 4 "Challenge" on me is welcome to proceed. The only criteria is that it has to be consistent with the theme in Stronghold and Stronghold: Crusader, or consistent with the theme of Pharaoh, Zeus or CaesarIII. In these arenas, I'm fair game. Outside of those arenas I'll cry foul and void your challenge.

Only one challenge can be accepted as the winner. Which one will it be?

Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Sword and Buckler Inn » FATE'S PORTAL - Reader's Comment Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames