Download File Post Review Post Comment

Star and Crescent

Author File Description
brave sir robyn
File Details
Map Size: 300x300 (Medium)
Difficulty: Normal
Minimap:
Hi, thanks for checking out my scenario.

You are the great Lord Dreadknapp and have led your tribe to glorious victories in the previous campaign. At the request of King M'landric you are once again to lead your tribe into battle. You must return to the lands of the Elite tribes and defend your rightful place amongst them.
Be careful though, for apart from a scouting party some fifteen years ago that sunk without trace, your kind has not been welcome here for many generations. Many years ago you once ruled the Elite tribes and your ancestors carved their mark into the landscape for all time. You must defeat all aggressors, including the vile and loathsome Scuhm tribe, and prove your status as an Elite tribe with honour, if you fail you may never get another chance ...

This a straightforward invasion map designed at normal level, although I hope it could be played at easy or hard as well to suit different player ablities. Some of the UK players may twig what this is about, but everyone please enjoy the scenario and have fun!

Many thanks to Jalis for advice and playtesting part of this map.

Happy Gaming ... bsr
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
NAT
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Lord Dreadknapp...... - I could barely bring myself to play this map, especially as a Southampton fan. Anyway on with the actual map - very nice, the main map formed in the Portsmouth emblem shown up by hills, so fairly creative but so hard - give me a break. Is this what trying to survive in the Premiership is like! Playable, well designed and very creative. It was so hard to defend and with so few men - too hard as I could not get my economy going due to the consatnt attacks. Have played on easy and got further but have yet to complete the map. This was a fun idea and well executed by Brave Sir Robyn. A good storyline but as I said above names like Lord Dreadknapp did horrify me. Good enough for a 4. Overall a fun little map but difficult. Defiantly a map if you are looking for something a little different. Anyway an interesting map - strong map design and a fun lttle idea. Hope to see you on the 21st for another beating!
Andy Baz
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
This map was played from my involvement in Sparrow's Extream Challenges.

This is a real beauty of a map from Brave Sir Robin, and yes I can look at the X with pride! :D It was a pleasure to finally complete it on ‘very hard’ after sooo many goes, and more strategies that you can throw a stick at – simply excellent fun . So where do I begin?
Well after reading Sparrows last post on his method I can safely say the early Xbow manufacturing was the way forward for me too. The early ‘regular’ invasions were a complete nightmare to handle but I was tactical with pitch and it seemed to pay off. I decided to move the stock pile again, positioning it close by to the iron ore. Xbow production was also started close by to the stock pile. From the start the granary was placed by the apples this was my main source of food until I moved everything into the star.
As the invasions perfectly grew I was always feeling under pressure and wondering how I’m gonna get through the next ones. I loved the sense of expectation I got from playing this map and found it was perfectly in balance even on Very Hard. Although It was a bleedin tough one! :)
So the enemies grew large and I was scared, I was weary my new found tactics weren’t gonna work, but with plenty of stone being produced I knew I could design some protection….So I was around 2 thirds of the game and I was in great shape…Most of the points of the star was protected and I was loving this challenge, could anything stop me from romping to victory?
Slap me hard in the face! The final invasions were awesome! I lost about 7 times before I knew I had to redesign things….I went back to the save – the time of piece before the BIG invasions and created a compact ( 5 wall thick), 2 big tower fortification that housed just a granary, fletchers building, armory, an inn and a stock pile. The two big towers had mangonels resting on top - it must be known by this time I had around 13 boiling pots too.
So bring it on…it was a rush to finish the compact castle, but my God did it work – with the much needed reinforcements I cruised to victory. The castle proving just too much for the happy go lucky enemy…..So was this map great or what? Brave Sir Robin has crafted such a playable map here, unadulterated fun that asks plenty of questions, indeed Star and Crescent is the thinking man’s invasion map. Ok I played it on VH and it nearly sent me crazy, but what a game….so what’s the final word. Play this on normal and you’ll probably find yourself plunged once again into the beautiful world of Stronghold, play it on very hard and win then expect your head to be hurting and your name in lights.

Happy gaming. Andy

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.5