Sulis
File Details
Map Size: 300x300 (Medium)
Difficulty: Normal
Made with version: 1.1
Minimap:
The Secrets of Sylvandell Ch 2

Marrimor

This is the second chapter in the sylvandell series. Please read the story instalment in the Community Forum (The Inn) for a background to the map, or alternatively please browse the story from within the zip file.

The map takes on a familiar shape as a basic ecovasion. It should not be too difficult to beat, and hasn't been designed to be overly taxing in terms of gameplay... the goals should be achieved without too many problems.

Evril has regained his health for now, and may be required early in the map whilst you establish the outpost.

This map has some invasions, though not huge. Again, this map has been designed to fit in with the unfolding story, and leads on from Chapter 1.

Have fun, and constructive reviews are always welcome :)

Edit: adjusted difficulty slightly, due to problems with gameplay 17/06/03

------------
[Here is the current URL to the story that Sulis refers to above:
http://stronghold.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forum/display.cgi?action=ct&f=16,803,,all
that is in the Story archive forum - Edited by ericgolf 23rd Dec 2008]
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
talos_911
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability : 4
Sulis' next instalment in the Secret of Sylvandell series is as good as the first. It has tons of scripted events to keep you on your toes at all times...right from the begining when bandits and wolves besiege you lord, you have to work fast and erect buildings in order of priority. The only thing I found lacking here was the map allowed me too much time to fortify my castle and develop a strong economy which allowed me to easily repel invaders. But still a very fun map.

Balance : 5
The balance here is spot on. The early attacks on your lord leave you with a feeling of injustice. But when the bandits arrive to aid you cause, you literally jump with joy...from then on its an even battle. Great work here.

Creativity : 5
anyone who has read the first map's story and background would say that Sulis has created a most compelling and vivid world which brings to life the maps of the series. The readme within the zip file has an elaborate story which allows you to completly immerse yourself in the fictional world and consequently the map.

Map design : 4
The map is terrain only where you must place your keep and start from scratch. The terrain is ver y well done as is true with all of Sulis' maps. the bridge and the little dock for (presumalby) a rowing boat is very well created...the meandering river looks very natural and it is a great lesson in terrain design.
I just felt that maybe, if the map had an alternative place for keep placement, it would have increased replay value...aside form this minor gripe it is a very carefully and well crafted map.

Story/Instructions : 5
As I said before the story allows you to immerse yourself into the world and is quite long and detailed. A lot of work and effort has obviously gone into this and I don't think even a 5 will do the effort justice. Amazing work.

Overall : A classic invasion map with fast gameplay which will never allow you to watch trees grow. with a detailed story it seems a worthy successor to Chapter one of this series and I will be eagerly looking forward to the next installment.
I would recommend this map to everyone, just to learn how to make classic maps if nothing else.

Great Work Sulis. Keep it up !

-Talos_911
gilbertgea Hello Sulis,

Beautiful map & scenario you designed. Unfortunately, the story file for Ch. 2 wasnt included in the download and I cant find it in the forum. Can you re-post it or post a link to it?

Regards,

G
ericgolf
Staff
I had a hunt round for the story that Sulis referred to above but did not find it yet. I have posted in the Inn to see if anyone else knows where to find it.

Edit:
I found it in: the Forums » Story Archive (Read Only) » The Secrets of Sylvandell - a story
http://stronghold.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forum/display.cgi?action=ct&f=16,803,,all

And I took the libery of adding the minimap. (In the process I had to take a guess that v1.1 was used)

[Edited on 12/23/08 @ 07:19 AM]

ajko Hey its me, it says you made this with vrs 1.1, can I still play it with vrs 1.2?
Sulis
File Author
Yes, you can play this with version 1.2 patch installed.
Timballisto
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance5.0
Creativity3.5
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4.5
This map demanded my attention and always had me trying to keep ahead of the obstacles I faced until the final attack. Bandits will give you problems, and the attacks become fairly steep at the end. The fires add to the annoyance. Because there is no impetus to complete your economic goals before a certain time though, the end portion of the game is rather slow, as you wait for the needed iron and stone to accumulate in your stock pile. Defensive options have to be carefully thought through owing to the lack of archers trainable by the player. I enjoyed the set up I came up with by the end. Unfortunately the drawbridges you can build are useless, as you can't attach them to wooden gates.

Balance: 5
I beat this on very hard after three or four attempts. The first time through I was still watching a movie and was not taking it very seriously, and tried to simply wall off the camp fire. On subsequent attempts I paid more attention. The difficulty seemed very appropriate for its position in the campaign and left me well-satisfied.

Creativity: 3.5
Removing archers as a weapon always makes a map more interesting, along with the place-your-own-keep aspect and the removal of wheat as a food choice.

Map Design: 4
Not a glamorous-looking or particularly striking map, but it is very well done regardless.

Story/Instructions: 5
Again, the story is well-written and appropriate for the scenario.

Additional Comments:
I enjoyed playing with moats and wooden walls in this level, it's always a good time.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.3
Balance5.0
Creativity4.3