Download File Post Review Post Comment

Lelia's Cross Roads

Author File Description
Duke of York
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Difficulty: Normal
Minimap:
After your success of establishing a fortified trading post at Elzbeth Hall, His majesty has ordered you do the same near Lelia’s Cross Roads in the County of Rowan. This place is stocked with an abundance of game and natural resources. The high plateau near the crossroads is ideal for raising cattle. His majesty is preparing an assault on the raiders of north Iredell soon and is depending on you to supply him with arms and sustenance to aid in his coming campaign. Know this, Earl Holland (the Snake) has learned of his majesty’s plans and may attempt to thwart your efforts. Be prepared!

Your goal is to establish a fortified trading post at Lelia’s Cross Roads, supply his majesty with the needed arms, equipment and sustenance requested. Study the terrain and take advantage of it when establishing the trading post.

Victory Requirements:

6000 Gold
600 Bread
35 Swords
35 Metal Armor
45% Ale Coverage
Complete Castle

I welcome your comments and reviews. I hope you have as much fun playing this scenario as I have had creating it.

James
Duke of York
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Sulis
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5/5

It's probably fair to say that Duke of York doesn't make mad maps. Every download I have played thus far continues to impress me, and 'Leila's Cross Roads' continues the work submitted already. It's a classic DoY map, in that there are some heady economic goals to achieve and invasions to fight off. What makes this map appeal is due to two things: the celver use of events scripted into the map, largely based on materials gained, ale coverage and the like, as well as the sense of timescale that prevails. By that, I refer to the length of the map, some 40 game years from start to finish if you play right through. There are periods of activity as well as quiet, subdued times when you can concentrate on managing the economy of the map. It's a bit of an epic this one, but if you're used to Duke of York's maps, you'll love this. It drips with quality throughout, huge in scale and scarily addictive. Great stuff.

Balance: 4/5

Nearly perfect. The economic goals are achievable, as long as you are patient, for these maps are not quick-win affairs. The invasions are deceptively tricky to beat, some very small yet early on, with only two knights, my dairy farms took a battering as I struggled to manufacture enough weaponry. Nice touch, I thought. Managing the economy, indeed trying to get one established is a feat in itself, given that materials are spread out around the map. Wheat is the most effective food source, certainly needed here as it's one of the eco-goals. But can you find anywhere near to the stockpile to place the farms? Nope, it's a long walk... as are the stone quarries... and the iron mines... which gives an immense sense of scale and realism to the map. Personally I love this sort of gradual build-up of the economy and weapons manufacture, you find yourself really working away to develop the castle infrastructure. To me there's little fun to be had in having a treasury bursting with gold or a stockpile full to the edges. These maps are brilliant IMO, though I feel they may not be to everyone's tastes. Hard to beat, yet deeply engrossing.

Creativity: 4/5

Whilst this may look a standard affair, eco goals and invasions to overcome, the creative aspect of this lies with the scehduling of events, the gradual build-up needed, the attention to detail in terms of the terrain design and the massive playability factor. Duke of York takes an idea and works away at it, resulting in some of the finest downloads available. This follows suit. Excellent throughout once again, and it's difficult to single out one or two aspects when there are so many here.

Map Design: 5/5

My only small whinge... actually, it's not really a whinge, more an observation... is that the map resembles other works by the author. Not exactly matching landscapes, but more a common theme, ie multiple places to place the keep and set up the economy. Yet this really doesn't affect the score for the map at all, and given the high standards DoY sets, i'm sure he will take this tiny, teeny point on the chin! The landscape is splendidly done, rugged and atmospheric. The whole map is used by clever and careful placement of raw materials, meaning it's no quick walk to the quarries or wheat farms. It almost seems like every inch of the map is designed with a purpose. Impressive stuff.

Story/Instructions: 5/5

The map follows on from a previous work by the author, and in that we see a well written storyline unfolding before us. Nice touch. As always, the story is very well written and really suits the map in question. Again, it's quality work from start to finish.

IN SUMMARY

Leila's Cross Roads is probably my favourite map by Duke of York. The design is flawless, it looks gorgeous and has bags and bags of playability. Strongly reccomended as a download. A classic!
Jitz
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
I really loved this map. The wide open plateaus with abundent resources was great. It was a real challenge to get supplies to the stockpile (man it's a long walk from the stone and iron). The balance in times of invasion and times of peace and prosperity was good. Making sure to have a lot of troops proved to be a tough challenge, while trying to expand the economics. The only thing that I found a little daunting was the 600 bread goal. You have a huge granery to store all that bread and can't use it to feed your people!
Overall really fun! One question for ya... Did you intend to put the keep on the highest land? I tried that the first couple of times, but the walk from the supplies was just too damn far!!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.0
Creativity4.5