Download File Post Review Post Comment

The smallest island in the world

Author File Description
Best Willis
File Details
Map Size: 160x160 (Tiny)
Difficulty: Normal
Can you survive on this small island?
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Sir Lurchalot This was a very good map, and our first economic mission in quite some time. I'm not sure I can go along with the designers self-serving statement of being "so far the best economic scenario." Isn't that for someone else to say? {grin} There are many others here and personally I think a few of them are much better.

However, I certainly will give credit for a nicely constructed and well-playable map. Since space is so limited, the player has to pay close attention and choose carefully what to do next.

I don't want to reveal everything (surprises are half the fun in ANY map) but I will tell a couple of things I used. The single major technique I used was worker task-switching. This allowed me to keep my population very low, food demands low, and build up resources and simply add the needed peasants directly after having met all other requirements - at the very end. Players style will indeed vary and I will probably try it differently on the next go, myself.

Two things of note: The wolves in the small, central chasm are of little concern. I left them alone and they pretty well ignored my people for the most part. On my first go, I discovered that the three available archers have no value, so I simply didn't waste resources on getting them on the last pass. (I played only Easy and Very Hard.)

My only complaint is that all the 'events' were early in play and not spread out enough to have much effect. Once you've passed a certain point (I won't tell, but it's early), there is nothing to hold you back. Winning is very easy on any level. BUT, as I said, you need to manage carefully and you _will_ enjoy the map! I recommend it to everyone.
lord_yoshi Playability - Port Sestra is a nice little quick economics scenario that will entertain you for the brief moment it takes to beat the map. It can be quite tricky at the beginning to come up with the right layout for your settlement, but once you've figured out the key to victory, it gets easier. There were some events to keep you busy and but as Sir Lurchalot says in his comments, the wolves do not pose much of a threat. Nevertheless, it's a fun map to play.

Balance - It will probably take a few re-tries to beat this mission, so it is not too easy to finish. However, once you've managed to establish a secured base that can supply itself easily, there's not much to stop you from winning.

Creativity - I think this map deserves a 4.0 in Creativity because of the nice little island that will challenge you in building an efficient, but small settlement. This certainly isn't the ordinary economics map with lots of space to build. No, not at all. Free building space is a luxury here and I thought this made the map slightly more creative than an average economics map.

Map Design - A 4.0 is deserved here as well. While there's not much eye-candy on the map and it's not special enough for a 5.0, I still liked the tiny little island which had a very nice structure. It is a very pretty little island.

Story/Instructions - Story was rather poor. There wasn't much of a story in it, so a 2.0 will have to suffice for now. Some more length and detail is needed for a better story.

Final comments: I agree with Sir Lurchalot's comments on certain playability and balance issues and I think that some of them should be issued to make the scenario challenging both in the beginning of the game and after the beginning. But the map is quite good, nevertheless, so I recommend this to anyone who wants to face a bit different economic challenge.
Best Willis
File Author
Thanks both for rating. I really looked forward for ratings. I know that it isnt the best economic scenario so far, but you know - you have to enchain the player...
Thanx and I hope, that when the upload is available, your gon´ play it again:)

PS: If you liked this one, you may also like my invasion scenario called LANTIS - the first one in invasion scenarios. Not so easy like Port Sestra:)
peter2008 A scenario for fans of puzzles. Had to search a lot until I got the buildings placed for relatively few people.
And one thing annoyed me. In two attempts, the hunters seemed to have exterminated the deer on the map. Until I found the solution for that, too. If you place a building on a certain spot in the north, next to the stream, you block the respwaning point of the deer.
Managing the economy was a good challenge.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:1,466
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:286.41 KB
Added:01/27/04