Build a castle

Author File Description
Ttoopp
File Details
Map Size: 300x300 (Medium)
Difficulty: Hard
Minimap:
Just "build a castle" from scratch.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
bloodedsniper
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Its a good idea i'll give you that, but i spent more time trying to actually put out fires and kill wolves than actually fighting. You need a better descripion of the map.

Heres the description of it;

You start off on a blank map and have to build you city defences and army & everything in time so that you do not get killed by the enemy. Its a very nice map. just spread your stuf out so there aint a big blae when they all set off at least twice.

keep it up and you be as good as the good people :0) lol
ericgolf
Staff
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability 5
In the end I did prevail on hard setting. I had to play several times. I enjoyed the challenge. I love starting from scratch and choosing my keep location. For me this is the essence of Stronghold. Things got so tough I had to devise a completely new (for me) strategy to deal with them.

Balance 4
I played on hard setting and was lulled into a false sense of security early on but was later overwhelmed by the massive attacks.

Creativity 4
No special buildings but then this is not that sort of scenario. The important elements needed to prevail are there and in convincing detail.

Map Design 5
This is what makes this scenario. The terrain sets the scene for a titanic struggle. The two rivers form a ‘V’. There are several, large, river crossings that seem to render the river useless as a barrier. I enjoy being allowed to dig moats. It took me a few games to find out that the map did allow for a winning strategy.

Story/Instructions 2
The barest minimum in the game. Half a sentence on the site. But it was that half a sentence which attracted me. I was trawling through the scenarios looking for ‘Place your keep’ type maps. There is a mini-map on the site. However, the only clues I got came from, previous reviewer, bloodedsniper.

Summary
Especially good fun for those who enjoy placing their keep. You are in for a tough fight (but now you know it can be won maybe you will stick at it). To the author I say ‘Thank you for a great challenge’.

If anyone is still tearing their hair out, has given up, and wants to know how I beat this map please email me – david at egss dot demon dot co dot uk (replace dot with ‘.’ and include the word, stronghold, in your subject to avoid my spam filter). (Ttoopp, please feel free to email – I am rather proud of my winning strategy and would love to show it off :-)

[Edited on 07/10/06 @ 06:05 AM]

Sarariman This mission has entertained me for weeks, but I'm close to giving up. I resisted a few attacks, then I get one which doesn't end before the next one begins, so I can't re-dig my moat and place lotsa bakeries around it which I can set fire to. Then the enemy has lotsa catapults, which destroy all the bakeries which remain around my keep and also the wall around my keep, leaving me defenseless.

I tried making 10 knights and trying to take out the engineers before they make the catapults, but 10 isn't enough. The frequent fires make things interesting, but also make it not worth building weapon manufacturers.

EDIT: I did things differently, and completed the mission. It was lotsa fun.

[Edited on 11/04/12 @ 11:36 AM]

Sarariman OK, so I did things differently, and completed the mission. It was lotsa fun.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0