Mount Doom

Author File Description
Duke of York
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Difficulty: Normal
Minimap:
MOUNT DOOM

You and your crew are stranded after a horrific storm wrecked your vessel, the HMS Carolina on this desolate island. Your nautical charts read Insula Ursus, which translated means Bear Island. You must establish a settlement to defend yourself and sustain your people against the elements and wild bests that roam this land. The crew was able to salvage enough timber and supplies from the stricken vessel to aid you in your endeavor. Mount Doom as you call it, has been erupting periodically since your arrival on this island. You must gather resources of wood, pitch, and iron to build a small seaworthy vessel that is capable of reaching the Admiralty for help. Time is of the essence – Mount Doom could blow its top at any time. OH, lets not forget about that SNAKE, the dread Pirate Barnes who has learned of your location and aims to claim the treasure you were transporting back to England for himself!

Victory Objectives:

100 Population
200 Wood
150 Meat
45 Pitch
20 Iron
(Must be completed within 25 game years or the volcano will explode!)

***Player Notes***

This invasion scenario allows you the freedom to place your own keep anywhere on the map that you wish. Each location has its own advantages over others. Being stranded on an island, you have no access to a market. You must ensure you never run out of timber and food or you will be in big trouble. This scenario is not that difficult to beat and provides you a variety of play options. If you think it is to easy, I suggest moving your keep to another location and giving it a shot from another angle.

As Always, I look forward to constructive criticism and feed back from other players. I hope you have as much fun playing this scenario as I have had creating it.

Sincerely,

James,
Duke of York
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Bismuth
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
I was attracted to this map as soon as I read about it in the forum. The story is well written and interesting and includes the background, description of goals, and some notes for the player. Story - 4

Mount Doom offers a beautifully sculpted volcanic island with a rough rocky terrain, hot springs and some scraggly trees and vegetation. In spite of the harsh environment, animal life, both prey and predator, thrives on the island. Duke of York has done an excellent job of shaping the land and his careful placement of rocks and use of water features has created a very realistic effect. Map Design - 5

The game opens with an “eruption” and as the fires die down you are left to place your keep and begin your settlement in any of a number of possible locations. Really this is one of the things which makes the game fun – that there are many choices of location and each seems to have its own advantages and disadvantages. At the beginning you have only a tiny amount of wood. You need more wood – and you need to take care of those bears. A wise choice here is critical or you will go no farther. After this you must carefully develop your economy with an eye towards defense as the Snake begins to attack.

I have to say now that I have been meaning to write a review for a long time but, after many attempts, I still have not beaten this game. Perhaps I am out of practice (DoY says it is not hard to beat!) but I have yet to survive the second attack. I tried on EASY but the game is not set up to play this way as this triggers an immediate attack of bandits for which you have no defense. So the game is very fun and kept me coming back trying different locations and strategies, but also, for me at least, it is too hard. Playability – 5, Balance – 4

There are no pre-existing structures on this map but overall a good creative design. Resources are limited and distributed unevenly across the island in a way which maximizes the challenge. Bears are a major barrier to success in the early part of the game. The cliffs and water features themselves are designed to both aid and hinder. Creativity – 4

Thanks for the fun game DoY! (Now could someone please show me how to beat this thing!)
ericgolf
Staff
I had great fun playing this map. I had to restart a coulple of times playing on Normal level. Quite a nail-biting ending.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0