Difficulty: Normal
Minimap:
Kingdom Of Mesopotamia Ch:I

Version 1.1

Version 1.1 changes:

A few minor changes were made after
Stratego's
review. the changes were.

* I used the ".sav to .map" the make the buildings active from the beginning.

* I deleted the little piece of boulders on the middle of the map to make it look more natural

*I removed ballista and mangonel from the buildings menu.

Win Conditions:

Aquire Goods: Bread 350

Aquire Goods: Iron Ingots 100

Aquire goods: Wood Planks 200

Aquire goods: Swords 30

No enemy on the map.

Must be finished before the game year 1086 when several large invasions arrive and victory will be impossible.

Note: This map is playable all difficulty settings

The word 'Mesopotamia' is in origin a Greek name (mesos `middle' and 'potamos' - 'river' so `land between the rivers'). Mesopotamia is the oldest known civilization. It is said that Mesopotamia was the place of the legendary 'Garden of Eden'.
Mesopotamia is the name is used for the area watered by the Euphrates and Tigris and its tributaries, roughly comprising modern Irak and part of Syria. South of modern Bagdad, the alluvial plains of the rivers was called the land of Sumer and Akkad in the third millennium.

The name does not refer to any particular civilization using that name. Over the course of several millennia, many civilizations developed, collapsed, and were replaced in this fertile region.

The history of the land and its people dates back more than to 7,000 BC.

Mesopotamia has no natural boundaries and is difficult to defend. The influence of neighboring countries is large. Throughout the history of Mesopotamia trade contacts, slow diffusion of foreign tribes and military confrontations have been of great influence.

Mesopotamia - the cradle of civilization - the land between the Tigris and the Euphrates Rivers, it is said, hosted the legendary Garden of Eden - if it existed anywhere. To emphasize this the ancient village of Al-Qurna singled out a tree ("Adam's tree") with a sign - in Arabic and English. On this holy spot where the Tigris meets the Euphrates this holy tree of our father Adam grew symbolizing the Garden of Eden. Abraham prayed here 2,000 years B.C.

Special thanks to all the playtesters: Lord_Raganar, Duc de Noisiel, Lurking Horror and gibbb.

The unzipping problem has now been fixed, thanks to Sir Lurchalot for finally solving the problem

If you have any comments, suggestions or complaints please e-mail me at

(lukas@vikonline.org)

Or feel free to leave any comments or reviews on the site.

Happy Gaming - Arn de Gothia
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Lord_Raganar Arn it doesn't work when I try to unzip it.
Arn_de_Gothia
File Author
Sir Lurchalot Hi, Arn,

I just tried getting your map but it won't unzip because it contains a "/" (slash). That's an invalid character in Windows filenames.
Arn_de_Gothia
File Author
Fixed, thanks to Sir Lurchalot
Stratego The Kingdom of Mesopotamia

Shortly after the game starts, you get into trouble with a big fire nearly devastating your initial pre-built workshops and farms. To top it all, you’re hardly able to react to this bad event, because most of the buildings are unoccupied right from the scratch. You see numerous red crosses turning round above them; that’s what I usually try to avoid in my own maps by applying the “convert sav-file to map-file trick”. At the beginning, I personally don’t like waiting for the building up of a high population that primarily brakes a reasonable development.
Then you should coordinate and gather all your troops to resist the forthcoming assaults. Even on normal setting (I’ve played on both easy and normal) you’re facing strong hostile invasion forces and you hardly can prevent them from breaking through your “weak” wooden palisades. Well, it’s on you how to survive such massive attacks, so I restarted several times until I found out a suitable strategy to stop the enemy’s advance.
After this conflict, it begins a race against time. With regard to the economic goals you have to concentrate on three basics: food, popularity and gold!
Inside the concentric fortifications, there’s enough space to expand economically focused on the production of iron, swords, wood and bread. Fortunately, you’ll find plenty of wood outside around your settlement up on the hills. To be on the safe side, it’s advisable to buy more iron ingots if your treasury allows, and I also would recommend erecting a handful additional wells to be prepared against threatening fires…

I was deeply impressed by this tremendous circular wall construction and I’d like to give an extra bonus mark (if I could) for such a geometrical precision work. Moreover, that’s not the only highlight on this map: You’ll see a multitude of various “eye-candies”, especially the arena just to pick out one of them. Arn de Gothia created a classic example of an excellent map filled with lots of work for details. The layout shows us a three-parted area inside the fortifications separated by two rivers flowing together in the centre and forming a rounded island with a ruin located there. I guess, it is corresponding with the two rivers Euphrates and Tigris mentioned in the story. The bizarre landscape (mountains on the map’s edges) looks naturalistically modeled where iron or stone deposits are realistically fit in. The only thing I didn’t like: This inappropriate or strange stone deposit on flat ground inside the castle.

By the way, the building options “mangonels” and “ballistae” are superfluous in my opinion, because you aren’t allowed to erect square or round towers here.

The author wrote up a short but precise historic story giving us some basic information about the Kingdom of Mesopotamia, though a suitable historic material for a Crusader map.

If you’re looking for a challenging scenario that “bites”, you’ll get it here. A terrific work and perfectly tuned up!

Stratego
Arn_de_Gothia
File Author
Thank you for the fine words stratego. I've made some changes to the map, can bee seen on top of this page.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:1,579
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:803.86 KB
Added:04/15/05