Bodwich Bottoms

Author File Description
Duke of York
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Difficulty: Normal
Minimap:
Bodwich Bottoms

In the year of our Lord 1105, His Grace, the Duke of York has sent you, Sir Robyn to the northwestern province of Spartanburg to establish a fortified trading outpost. After careful survey of the land, Bodwich Bottoms has been selected as the best possible location. This river valley is very fertile, teaming with game and natural resources. The Duke of York has promised you a title and land in exchange for successfully establishing the outpost at Bodwich Bottoms. In exchange, he demands payment of gold, provisions and arms. Being a devout man, he has also ordered a monastery be established to convert the heathen of that pagan land. His Grace will send what troops he can spare to bolster your presence in Spartanburg. Beware, Baron Von Lee, an archrival of the Duke of York has also set his sights on this virgin province and will stop at nothing to thwart your efforts.

Victory Requirements:
4000 Gold
200 Bread
30% Blessed
15 Swords
15 Armor
Castle Complete
30 year time limit

Player Notes:
This “place your own keep scenario,” allows players from all experience levels the chance to test their skills. You have the freedom to choose your starting location, each with its own unique advantages/disadvantages. If you think one location is to easy, try a different starting location for your keep – the scenario will play differently each time you play. You are not allowed to produce archers and will only get them as reinforcements as your achieve certain milestones.

I hope you enjoy this scenario and I look forward to your comments. As always, I hope you have as much fun playing this scenario as I have had creating it.

DoY
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
NAT
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability and Balance: 10/10

Another fantastic map from DoY! It plays through really well and is wonderfully balanced. I played on easy first time to get a grip on the map which I did. Looking around the map and weighing up the options for a keep placement I decided that the grassland right in the centre next to the road was the best place for a castle. Playing on easy was not dificult, I could deal with the invasions easily enough and I finished 200 months early but it taught me what to do and it prepared me for playing on normal. Normal was immdeiately a lot tougher and the invasions cause you many more problems. Getting in stone at the beginning is really important as you want your keep encircled as quickly as possible to keep your crossbowmen and archers alive. Because my castle was on flat plains I had easy access to wheat farms giving me a ready source of food. This meant I could have the granary set on extra rations or even sometimes on double rations. I then could tax the population quite heavily. I completely the map again with quite a lot of time left but the map was a battle from beginning to end. Slightly easier than some other DoY maps I found Bodwitch Bottoms prefctly balanced for me. Many thanks DoY for such a great game!

Creativity and Map Design: 9/10
As always the map design is really good, the countryside is flowing and very natural. I have dropped a point mainly for the fact that there is one site for the castle that is so much easier to play than the others. When I started off I experimented with the others but the grassland in the centre is much better. Chopping down the birch wood gives you even more space. It is also close enough to iron and stone deposits. I know you said in the site description if one spot is too easy then try another but it does slightly take away the magic of placing your own keep as with your some of your other maps it really is hard to tell which is the best place for the keep. Other than that the design is truly excelent.

Story/Instructions: 5/5

The storlyine is comprehensive and interesting and the site description is very well arranged with some notes and a minimap.

Additional Comments: Another really good map from DoY, a really well balanced and well designed map. Recommended!
WarLord_Designs
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
I cant seem to ever mark you down here, you are just too good in this field :). Without wasting time magnificent and well thought out. Your maps are always great to play and i look forward to what you have in store next.

Balance: 4
Well it was hard for me to decide, it all depends on the placement in the start. As NAT has pointed out the map is a little easy if you use the right area. Invasions and such were all top quility as i have come to expect in your well thought out maps.

Creativity: 4
Very solid in this area as always but i felt it was a little similar to some of your previous maps. That does not in anyway mean its not excellent. I have always enjoyed placing my own keep,maps that have this implemented always keep me entertained.

Map Design: 5
pretty similar to the above a 4.5. Very detailed and natural looking, your use of elevations and rock placment is quite hard to beat but i have all your maps and was unable to see anything that shouted out Outstanding, a class of its own!.
In saying that your river twists around the map very naturally and places where you can place the keep are not left bare like other maps ive seen around. Overall another fantastic effort.

Story/Instructions: 5
Lengthy, detailed and well planned give you a very well deserved 5 in this area.

Additional Comments:
I don't know what it is maybe i'm a little harsher than NAT, its also been a while since ive reviewed so if it takes a chunk out of your overall score i'll be happy to change it because this map deserves a huge amount of credit. I didn't go indepth as its already been covered by NAT but id like to finish off by saying it lives up to your always perfect standard, well done and keep the maps coming!!.

W_L Arthus

[Edited on 08/20/05 @ 12:18 AM]

king_william
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
Another example of the best in mapmaking. Thanks to DoY for continuing to provide the VERY BEST. I always try to play on normal - love the tension in the pit of my stomach, always wondering where the next invasion is coming from or which calamity will befall me next!!

Balance: 5
Great balance between invasions, plagues, etc.

Creativity: 5
Again I can find no fault.

Map Design: 5
Very natural and difficult to find the locations for the needed chapels, etc.

Story/Instructions: 5
Great story!! Well planned and presented.

Additional Comments:
I always look forward to DoY's maps, especially the "place you keep" variety. This one did not disappoint me.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.7
Creativity4.7