Soylent Green

Author File Description
brave sir robyn
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Difficulty: Normal
Minimap:

MAP STORY
Master of all you survey, Patrick de Chaworth? You’d better believe it, Your Lordship, because that feeling definitely won’t last. The soothsayer gives you just thirty years to prepare for the battle to end all battles. He’s not been wrong yet and it would be a brave man who ignored this latest prophesy.

Establish a keep, Patrick, and get ready for conflict. Your peasants are merely eking out a living at present, whilst the wild hinterlands are seemingly populated by rather more than animals. Put plans in hand now to stockpile weapons and introduce the novelties of alcohol and religion to your benighted people. That will at least take their minds off current problems and encourage them to fend off the rigours ahead.

You have until January 1160 to complete all of your seer’s detailed instructions. Fail even one of these initial tests and your horizons will darken for ever more, without sight of friend or foe.

GAMEPLAY
A fairly straightforward 'place your keep' invasion scenario, designed and tested at Normal difficulty level. More hardened players may enjoy the experience at Hard level.
As the story states, reach the economic requirements by Jan 1160 and the game will continue to the final siege. Fail to reach the requirements and you will lose shortly after Jan 1160 when the Wolf's troops show up. (The 'less than' operator that makes this feature work in the script was inspired by a trick first used by Ultima Spock in the scenario Kiev 1240).

Many thanks to WitchHazel for playtests and to Lord Michael for playtests and guest-writing the game story.

SOYLENT GREEN (no fires)
As well as the 'proper' scenario, there's also a version that contains no fire events in the scripting. This was made specially for all those players who REALLY hate fires in original Stronghold and in theory should be a somewhat easier game. :-)

I hope you enjoy the map.

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
lollard97367 Can you build a quarry? Where?

Lollard
brave sir robyn
File Author
Hi Lollard,

There's three sites for quarries, in the NW and SE corners and towards the NE corner, watch out for the bears though ...

(Tip: try using your starting stone to found religion instead of saving it for a barracks).

[Edited on 11/18/05 @ 03:42 AM]

lollard97367 There is no marketplace availablity. I looked and you made apples and hops available, but you cant build a market. If the market is turned on (or left off) then I will rate this. I dont want a bad rating to mess this up.

Lollard
brave sir robyn
File Author
The market is supposed to be unavailable, it was intentional, anything you see tradeable in the editor is just remnants of unused ideas during map design.

A review/rating would be nice, if you do care to do so. ;-)

[Edited on 11/18/05 @ 12:45 PM]

NAT Just downloading now bsr, this is one map I want to play!

Edit/ Half way through at the moment. This is such a great map. I have had so many scares, the fires are especially leathal. I hate the tree disease, I almost ran out of wood completely! You also are constantly losing your farms, I am trying to build defences around them.

When I have finished I will post a full review, also this map deserves a thread in the map room bsr, I want to post a picture up of my huge fort that I have built, that I also have to keep rebuilding... ;)

[Edited on 11/19/05 @ 07:36 PM]

king_william What a GREAT!!! map. Still trying to collect the "goods" while fighting off invasions and stamping out fires!! I've tried my minimum population standard response and that doesn't work (duha!!).

Keep up the great work in Stronghold - still the best game of all time!!!
lollard97367 I played this last night. Still trying to win, feeding people is a problem. Soylent Green is a good movie...

Lollard
brave sir robyn
File Author
Well, if you're familiar with the film then saying "feeding people is a problem" is rather apt don't you think ... ;-)
NAT
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playabilty and Balance 9.5/10

What a great map! A truly epic invasion map from bsr that is hard to fault. It is tough but possible and it also keeps you on your toes every step of the way. There are events at every corner. I was taken by suprise by two droughts early on which were almost disastrous as I nearly cut every tree down on the map! Fires are also devastating, you need a lot of wells and be really quick with the mouse if you want to survive! Second time around the map had lost a bit of its magic as I knew what was coming but it was still very entertaining. I was defeated on the first attempt mainly due to the fact that I didn't know you could use the weapons that you have to create for the economic goals! In general though this is another fantastic place your own keep map from bsr, great fun!

Creativity and Map Design: 9.5/10

Really nice looking map, plenty of building space but the map still looks very realisitc. I liked the way farmland was restricted but not badly restricted, you could always subsidise bread with meat and cheese. The mountaisn around the edge are also very effective and I like the splattering of trees that sit nicely over the map. Evenly spaced quarries and areas of iron are neatly placed and well balanced. It's a very creative map as well, a place your own keep which therefore allows flexability and the economic scripting is also clever (allowing the economic goals to arrive early.)

Story/Instructions: 5/5

Really nice storyline and an organised site description. Very aesthetically pleasing!

Additional Comments: A really superb map from bsr, it's long and pretty tough but is worth every minute. Strongly recommended!
brave sir robyn
File Author
Thanks for the excellent review NAT, really glad you enjoyed the game. :-)
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.8