Download File Post Review Post Comment

Duomo

Author File Description
Dougleass
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Difficulty: Normal
Minimap:
Hi again... I haven't designed any maps since the Andora campaign(except Valley of Valhorn which I worked 4 hours with). This map has been finished and untouched for several months now, intended as the eighth map for the Community Campaign - Which I can tell you, now is more or less officially dead.
Anyways, here it is, Duomo. It's a dwarven city, and exactly what role it had in the campaign I can't really remember...

'Duomo is a large dwarven city, embedded into the heart of the Ombro mountains. How old this extraordinary structure is nobody fully knows.
Its name comes from the king who first ruled the city, and the name Duomo has been passed on to the king’s heirs, and as always, there is a king named Duomo who sits in its thrown. And this one is greedy… The lack of food in these lands has been a problem since years back. The harvest is not enough to feed all people. The dwarves suffers from this problem too, and in the mountain areas, it is truly hard to find food. Their lack of food is significantly bigger than outside the mountain areas. They were greedy with food supplies in the past, and hunted too many animals. Now there are no animals left to be found in the area. They feel they can’t leave their area, as Duomo is the city of gods. It’s a religious place they cannot leave.
Duomo the king went so far, as to stealing food from your supplies! It has been reported that two soldiers died in the theft, trying to keep the thieves away. There were no dwarves who made this shameless act, but it was they who paid them to perform it. Some witness to have actually seen elves do this. Duomo’s choice of mercenaries was no surprise; elves can move quietly.
Stealing the amount of food they did is a crime, and the following winter, many people died. The dwarves suffered none that winter.
A message was sent to Duomo, and he was asked to apologize and pay 5000 gold pieces for their loss of people. If not done properly, they would attack Duomo for its crimes.
Duomo the king, now greedy and angry for receiving such a degrading letter and asked to these actions, tore it apart and sent a letter saying that he would not do this. His city needed food, and he did what he could to provide it to them. The dwarves know nothing about farming. The animals in his area were all hunted and dead, so there’s nothing left they can do.
When recieving his letter, you became aggravated as well. It had gone too far now. Does this mean they will continue steal food? You had no choice. Attack his city, or he might steal again, killing even more.
The choice was hard to make. This will also end more lives…'

There are three ways to reach the king who's castle is placed deeply inside the mountain. Not much of story or instructions, but as always I hope you have fun playing it. This was one of the most enjoyable maps to design of all i've ever made actually, so I hope that shows in a good way, when you play it. Have fun.

Bigger picture.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Sir Ravenclaw Having playtested this and won it several times, players, you will enjoy map! True Dougleass style here!
WarLord_Designs It would be a shame to see the maps score suffer due to the fact you havent done a story like im used to you doing mate. Just putting it out there...maybe add a bit of length to it :)

Look forward to playing it,
Arthus
Dougleass
File Author
Yeah I am considering adding some sort of story... a longer one. Since the map itself even has a sort of holy relic in it, in a room and evrything, I could add something to the story, like culture of the dwarves or something... not sure how its gonna turn out yet.
thx you two. I hope u like it.
Dougleass
File Author
Added story now. I know its still not that much... but I get this feeling many people don't want to read so much all the time either.
Dido IMPRESSIVE VIEW!!!
Dougleass
File Author
Thanks for the comments everyone.
I have made the map easier. Haven't playtested in a while, and it was quite hard. If you find it easy now (which I doubt you do, even after the update) you can always try a harder level.
Llungki pey
(id: younghappy)
Well I have just played this and it is pretty
amazing. I love the whole look of the map, probably your best so far Dougleass. My favourite part was the main entrance to the mountain.

5 in map design, creativity and story.

Not sure about playability or balance as I have only played it once and I used a timely and cowardly tactic!! I will play it again and actually engage the enemy with my pikemen, instead of picking off the enemy with my crossbowmen outside the mountian!!
Dougleass
File Author
Thanks younghappy.

omg, I didn't even know you were able to kill them outside the mountain. I notice them shooting when they stand outside the gate, but the mountainside is too big. Did you climb up to a higher level?
Llungki pey
(id: younghappy)
It depended who I was shooting but sometimes I needed to stand back from the mountian to let the arrows go over the cliffs instead of into the cliffs.
Sir Ravenclaw I myself took my time but inside the mountain, I found that easier.
I can't see how you would be able to shoot them outside of the mountain, I was under the impression it would be too tall and wide to shoot over :/
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.5