Download File Post Review Post Comment

Trojan War

Author File Description
Dougleass
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Difficulty: Normal
Minimap:
The Trojan War was waged, according to legend, against the city of Troy in Asia Minor, by the armies of the Achaeans (Mycenaean Greeks), after Paris of Troy stole Helen from her husband Menelaus, king of Sparta. The war is among the most important events in Greek mythology and was narrated in many works of Greek literature, of which the two most famous are the Iliad and the Odyssey of Homer. The Iliad relates a part of the last year of the siege of Troy, while the Odyssey describes the journey home of Odysseus, one of the Achaean leaders. Other parts of the story were narrated in a cycle of epic poems, which has only survived in fragments. Episodes from the war provided material for Greek tragedy and other works of Greek literature, and Roman poets like Virgil and Ovid.

The war sprang from a quarrel between the goddesses Athena, Hera and Aphrodite, after the goddess Eris ("Strife") gave them a golden apple with the inscription "to the fairest" (sometimes known as the Apple of Discord). The goddesses went to Paris, who judged that Aphrodite, as the "fairest", should receive the apple. In exchange, Aphrodite made Helen, the most beautiful of all women, fall in love with Paris, who took her to Troy. Agamemnon, king of Mycenae, and the brother of Helen's husband Menelaus, led an expedition of Achaean troops to Troy and besieged the city for ten years. After the deaths of many heroes, including the Achaeans Achilles and Ajax, and the Trojans Hector and Paris, the city fell to the ruse of the Trojan Horse. The Achaeans mercilessly slaughtered the Trojans and desecrated the temples, thus earning the gods' wrath. Few of the Achaeans returned to their homes and many founded colonies in distant shores. The Romans later traced their origin to Aeneas, one of the Trojans, who was said to have led the surviving Trojans to Italy.

I hope you enjoy my newest map... sort of an experiment. I've always wanted to try making a Troy map. I almost decided not to post this map, mostly because I didn't think the playability worth was high enough...

A little animation that shows the building of Troy. :P

Summary of map:

You have to manage the war outside your massive walls, but you also need to have the economy of the city, running, in order to produce more soldiers.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Dragons Rider First Download! =D
Sir Ravenclaw Did you lessen the amount of starting troops? On the minimap there seem's to be significally less than the playtest version :p
Sokrates Nice, but pretty hard for me... MAke more historical maps!

[Edited on 03/06/07 @ 03:53 PM]

Dougleass
File Author
no raven, but I did move some of the soldiers, and pack them in the front row in the group.

Thanks sokrates, keep trying. Remember to buy more soldiers.
I might do more historical maps, but right now I don't have any plans. Troy and Rome are famous cities, which both sounded interesting to make on Stronghold.

[Edited on 03/06/07 @ 04:32 PM]

Riskyman Playability: 4
This was an extremely fun map to play. You are give archers and swordsmen. As the enemy attacks their crossbow men slowly start diminishing your archers leaving more work for the swordsmen and making the map much harder.

Balance: 5
The balance was almost perfect, on very hard I had a couple of archers left standing and about 50 swordsmen left, mostly all of them damaged.

Creativity: 5
What can I say? Dougleass has done an excellent job of recreating Troy.

Map Design: 5
The city and landscape are amazing and breathtaking, especially the little shrine just outside the city. When you see authour and Dougleass's name right next to it, don't waste your time writing a comment here, you should automatically put a 5. :)

Story/Instructions: 5
A very nice detailed story.

Additional Comments:
This map was breathtaking and I really had a great time playing it and.....drooling over it's beauty. Nice work Dougleass!
Lord Tanthos Heehee! Nice map! But when I first downloaded it I thought it said "Trojan Virus" and I had a brief heart failure ^^
Dougleass
File Author
Thanks Riskyman, I appreciate the review.

lol Tanthos. Maybe I picked the wrong name for this map ;P
Captain Diablo Sweet, finally, looks good. : D
Lord Karpathea Dougleass, you make some of the best maps here. I'll definitly DL this one.

[Edited on 03/12/07 @ 11:25 AM]

Dougleass
File Author
Thank you so much Diablo and Karpathea for your comments.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0