File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Number of Players: 5
Balance: Balanced
Difficulty: Normal
Made with version: 1.1
Minimap:

Dark Water: Cathe Island

The east generally, Cathe & Terag are enamored of philosophy, mysticism and altruism, soul-culture, emancipation of the senses from the thralldom of fleshly appetites that soul and sense might join hands in the service of the good, the true and the beautiful. Such are the central ideas of the leaders of Cathe. The masses and their leaders are so immersed in creation and expression of the pure principles in art and architecture, in trade and commerce, in life and daily drudgery, on building political and social institutions which will enable the many to live and labor like the cultured few, that their splendid gold is spent on the cause of peace rather than to bring forth the weapons of war. Offensive wars are never thought of, and even preparations for defense against outside attacks are not seriously considered. The island of Cathe will soon become an open target for the ambitious arms of foreign foes. The only army they have, are the Cathen warriors who have settled on the island long before early trade routes were established. They are men of fiery spirits who take pride in and glorify the passion of war.

In the long and eventful years that follow, foreign invasions occupy most of the neighboring islands. The invaders seem to prefer the glory conquests of war to the slow achievements of peace. This does not go unrecognized. Their penetration into Terag and the rearing of their empire brings the cathens to their wake. Allies are approached for assistance to raise companies of scouts and to raise fortifications with little of what they can gather.Come dawn, a cathen warrior sensing trouble, spots the silhouette of a heads against the skyline and quickly warns others. The enemy moves nearer to where the horses are tied up in an attempt to stampede them, but the scouts immediately respond to the alarm and starts to engage with the enemy.The element of surprise is lost because a few eager soldiers rushed before the order to attack was given.Loading the ballistaes, torching the presoaked fields, dumping scorching oil, the soldiers try to fend off the ambush.

The cathens are able to hold off the onslaught. One of the key enemy leaders of the engagement is killed during the battle. Danger awaits these as retaliations will only result to larger invasions in the days that will follow. Those will indeed be the days of tragedy for the island of Cathe.

Author's Notes:

This is the first of three skirmish maps leading to the continuation of the "Dark Water" series. It has especially been designed for a 1v4 skirmish. Player color-Blue.

Download the Second map of the series - Dark Water: Ellur

I hope you have as much fun as i have creating it.

Enjoy
Suraj Subba

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Amir88 Its a great map. surajsubba is best editor of skirmishes maps....keep it !
King Bret Popo Another excellent map!
subindxsubin I will download and rate it later.

[Edited on 05/03/07 @ 01:33 PM]

subindxsubin
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
The map did not have any bugs or anything that could lower its playability.Then again the enemy units would come close to my keep and attack the ruins which would make the map very easy to play but removing the ruins would be a unpleasant thing to do so it doesnt lower the playability.I have not experienced any problems with the maps.So the map deserves a 5 for playability

Balance: 5
The balance was the only problem that the map had.Everything was balanced but the problem was that the enemy units would come close to my keep and attack the ruins which would make the map very easy to play.But knowing the importance of the ruins in the map i cant really lower the score for this.

Creativity: 5
The creativity was very very super.I really liked the creativity.Some water falls had been made near to the seas and the terrain was done in creative manner.The terrain in the area where the sea goes a bit into the land had really caught my attention.That area had been very creatively terrained.The story was very creative.You have inspired me to be creative.

Map Design: 5
The map design was the best ever.The maps design was fantastic.The terrain near the sea was very good very well done.The map had been designed very carefully,you can tell that by looking at the terrain.I feel speechless........
Story/Instructions: 5
I really liked the story.It really blends with the map.It was very easy to understand and it did not have any mistakes and it was very long
Additional Comments:
Another very well done map.I have been further inspired.

[Edited on 01/29/08 @ 11:27 AM]

AZ ViTrAzhAs
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Dark water – Cathe

Playability: 5
Since the map is 400 x 400 size and there are only five players it is obvious that AIs should be able to finish their castles, no matter how big they are. As you suggested, I chose the 1 VS 4 playing type with a full computer advantage. It was quite hard to decide which computer lords should be the most fun to play with. I took Emir, Sheriff, Pig and Richard. My stone keep was situated in the position, which was created for a human player (I think). As for my enemies: Richard took the east position, Emir started his campaign further to the north, Pig inhabited the North West corner and Sheriff’s stone keep was the nearest. It was quite hard to run a strong economy in the beginning because trees were far from my stockpile. Still I managed to build a small castle, buy troops (Crossbowmen, archers) and develop from the three quarries and five iron mines. Luckily, the farmland was fertile enough to build many wheat and a few hop farms. AIs didn’t spend time day – dreaming, and attacked me soon. Sheriff’s and Pig’s macemen were the most annoying, and I had to build a strong defensive wall to prevent from destroying my buildings. The weapon production had to make miracles to help furnish me with troops. I had to sell all my iron, stone, part of my bread and wheat reserves to buy bows, crossbows, leather armor and train mercenaries (horse archers, assassins, fire throwers). Step by step my castle was expanding and soon I was running a strong economy. Ale coverage, religion and food allowed me to raise the taxes at -24. My treasure chest was getting very heavy. My defensive wall had eight square towers (three of them near the bay) full of missile troops, shields and fire throwers. Horse archers were patrolling on ground; fire ballistae placed on walls helped the archers and crossbowmen. The inner castle had four gatehouses with a few archers. I started my military operations by destroying few Sheriff’s towers, and later set him up on fire a few times in a row. Later I ordered my archers to silently circle his castle from west (Marching on the coast). Horse archers distracted the crossbowmen and soon Sheriff’s defense was spiked from both sides. Swordsmen did the rest of the job. Using the army remains (40 Horse archers, 20 archers and 50 swordsmen) I managed to kill Pig, too. I stopped my war campaign and started gathering a new army. Soon Emir was attacked by 100 Arabian bows, 50 archers, 50 crossbowmen four rams, swordsmen, pikemen and macemen. I divided my missile troops into two platoons, and circled Emir’s castle from west and north. At that time rams were destroying the towers with the help of macemen. When Emir’s defense was worn down swordsmen and pikemen marched in and killed the lord without any fuss. Richard couldn’t deal with my attacking force, too. Soon I ended this thrilling mission. I must say that the playbility was interesting and unusual. First I could completely control the South West part of the island. The resources were quite far from my stockpile, though. The AIs had no problems finishing their castles, and their strategies were quite dangerous at times.
All in all it’s a really fun skirmish map, both for playing with computer lords and the multiplayer( The strongest player should fight with the other three or four)

Balance: 5
Great work balancing. All the positions had the accessibility to the major resources, oases. The human position had more space, resources, but that’s normal for an unbalanced map. Maybe the AIs needed some more oasis grass but that’s not a major problem. The lords played at their best, wisely attacking together. I didn’t notice that AIs were destroying the ruins. You did a great job, the lords would be happy too. But I think I had a little more eyecandy then the other players!

Creativity: 5
There aren’t many island style maps here. Not only you used this idea (it’s very hard to create a realistic island), the map design is outstanding. I remember I was watching a cartoon named “Dark Water” when I was a kid. The isle reminds me that show because the cartoon characters sailed in the deep sea. The island is creative itself. The bay, waterfalls, hills and fords resemble your unique mapmaking skills. The blue color is a big plus, too. Maybe you should have disabled some buildings to make the map harder, but it’s your choice… Still you showed a lot of creativity by creating this island. Bravo!

Map Design: 5
This is a real masterpiece. If there was a six I would have fairly given it. The design is incredibly realistic: the oases were mixed with shrub, trees and placed in the right positions. The whole island looked like lowland but it was actually on mid plain! Incredible! The hills were mixed with rocks, shrub, boulders and iron ore making them very attractive. The sea had islets, rocks. The bay was fantastic, too. I looked so natural… The waterfalls and narrow rivers were mixed with fords. The shore was brilliant too, the ruins blended with it perfectly. When playing, I often gazed at the beautiful island. You have added some hop farm eyecandy, mixing it with the dairy farm fence. Although, I noticed that you add palm-like shrub on the empty land (without farmland), I mean I don’t say that I don’t like it but still those plants look a little better on oases (It’s only my opinion). The map design is created so minutely. Every detail seems to be created with incredible accuracy. Amazing, Suraj!

Story/Instructions: 5
An interesting, solid story which blends greatly with the map. You have described the important details really well. The island has its story, that's the most important.

Additional Comments:
You have created another amazing skirmish map, which is a great example of patience, accuracy and talent for everyone. Keep up your series.

Sincerely,
AZ ViTrAzhAs
Venomrider One of the nicest skirmish maps you've made yet, keep up the excellent work.
Dragol absolutly amazing map some serious talent here good work
Matt_The_Wise hey guys i need a favor?

i cant up load files and i whant too post a file wich you get all of the bonus AIs like the wazir and all.

let me know .
Kid1412 hello, Surajsubba! I wanted to see more of your excellent map like this. But,in 2009-2010, I never seen your map again (I'm new here but when I see a thousands downloads of your maps, i click it for description, and see many of your minimaps' maps, Its look awesome!), why now you not making & submit yours? where is the next chapter of Dark Water? I wanted to see... :)
I hope you'll read this :)
P.S. sorry for the English :)

Terima Kasih,

Kid1412
aqualord123 make the map mabye harder?, if u can have 3quarries and 5iron mines, thats an automatic strong economy, yet... You were smart enough to be able to have ppl able to attack you, this is obviously going to be fun for any1, but some extreme professionals may be bored.

ANYWAYS, LOOKS LIKE A TON OF FUN!!! ;D ;D ;D

[Edited on 07/27/10 @ 10:56 AM]

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown