Bretwalda - Mercia

Author File Description
Sulis
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Difficulty: Normal
Minimap:
The Bretwalda Chronicles Chapter 3: Mercia

This is the third chapter in The Bretwalda series of maps. The scenario offers a cede event, some economic goals to achieve and large-scale invasions towards the end of the scenario.

Included within the zip file are:

-Historical Article Part 3: Anglo Saxon social organisation, trade, weapons and their uses, Kingdom of Mercia history

-Author's Notes, including hints and tips.

-Instructions

Please note that there is no story to accompany this scenario, the reasons for which are explained within the notes in the zip file. Please take time to read the notes carefully, they will help you and will provide background information on how the Bretwalda series is developed. The historical article is written to appeal to all ages and all levels of interest.

Constructive reviews are welcome.

Sulis
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
EliteAce Stunning.
This map looks absolutely stunning.
This is another great map that you have made.
Lord Tanthos Yes! The mental inspiration of being made an "Orange One" has gotten Sulis back into mapmaking!
Amir88 Great work sulis .....Like a real map!
Timballisto
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
Ummm let's see...The beginning is very interesting. There's lots to attack and lots that attacks you. There's about 4 individual towns/villages that you have to invade, and that makes things interesting. Figuring out what exactly is accessible to you can take some time. After you get everything all set up and you trigger the cede event you still have stuff thrown at you very soon after, so not much time to rest. Although the fact that all the trees die is really irritating it adds another dimension to the level. You need to kill as little wall as possible so you can use it later, also you need to decide which parts of your own castle are able to be deleted. Figuring out how exactly to gear your economy is interesting. One of the few negatives I can see is that there's a lack of level space for buildings. Although this is a bit irksome it doesn't present any really serious problems. Plenty of randomness to deal with, the economy can be built up enough to do what it needs to but not much more. The last battle is very interesting - I like the entrance area with the two dirt turrets. It's a well designed defensive spot.

Balance: 4
Well, maybe it's just that I'm me, but it took me about 5 tries on normal to beat this map, and that was with 73% losses. I'm not sure I could ever beat this thing on very hard or hard. As it was I was down to my last reserve melee forces (some spearmen) and archers at the end of the attack.

Creativity: 5
Very very nicely done. A nice beginning, where the enemy forces come to you first, then you go out and pillage the lands, trying to figure out how exactly you're allowed to manuever to prevent any stupid mistakes. It seems very realistic. I really, really like the little area with the turrets as has already been said. You get points for not letting the player have any wood either, even if it is annoying. The village designs were something unlike what I've seen.

Map Design: 5
Well designed map with plenty of little rivers, well done fields/marshes, hills, cities...heck, everything's awesome. There's no good way to explain it. It seems like no part of the map was left without excruciating detail work. I like those shield fences too.

Story/Instructions: 5
Decent enough story, could've given an easier idea of what to do at the beginning (I didn't know I had to kill ALL of the units the first time through, which led to me to make decisions I wouldn't have otherwise). Still though I don't like having stories being weighted the same against all the other factors, so I give it a five to prevent what would be a loss over something so picky.

EDIT: Story rating disregarded the txt file, which I actually didn't read (hope that's not a sin or anything :P). But seeing as story got a five anyway I'm not sure it matters.

Additional Comments: Umm...cool, but very difficult. Nice landscape, kind of like a puzzle. I recommend downloading it.

[Edited on 05/14/07 @ 04:45 PM]

Llungki pey
(id: younghappy)
I've just explored this map. Wow you have such great attention to detail. The landscape is functional and not just for show. I havn't had the time to play this fully as I have GCSEs in 2 days but I explored the landscape!

Another good point about your recent Bretwaldia maps is that you have to think about every move you make, every decision has a consequence. In most other maps I have played you can plonk a bakery here, cut down this group of trees, send these troops to kill those troops...e.g. But in your maps you have to think carefully about each one of these. It's great when a designer can create such a diverse scenario.
Well done
Lord Karpathea AH!!!! Been waiting for this one! Looks awesome Sulis. I'll DL it right away (and, most likely, spend the rest of the night trying to beat it......).

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0