Stronghold: Freebuilds and Landscapes » The Ourea - By WarLord_Designs

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Ourea - By WarLord_Designs

Author File Description
WarLord_Designs
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Minimap:
I remember when I first made my way between the vast and conquering peaks of ice-cruel, unyielding. I was young then, innocent. But innocence never lasts, not in this cruel world. I knew not of sorrow, nor pain but that of grazed knees or scraped elbows. Nestled amongst the hay bundles and pelts that crowded my fathers old cart-rickety, aged. Too young was I to remember as the life slipped away from my mother’s warm face, like the sun melting behind the hills into shadows-unheard, unseen.

War’s bitter tears of hardy salt had not parched my mouth. I knew not of it but that it had driven us from our home, like starved wolves stalking a flock-relentless in its resolve…

It was on a bitter winter’s morn that we left behind our thatched roofed home in which we had sheltered, the sun still cowering in the shadows. The frost clung to the ground like a newborn to its mother’s breast, and the air struck at you like a cold dagger in ones soul. Not a whisper was heard as we made our way down through a craggy ravine, earth spilling under the weight of the loathsome cart-aged stones echoing down into the abyss. Nestled amongst the pelts and straw I felt myself drift away…

I awoke to the sound of ravenous birds overhead. Others perched themselves amongst bent tree limbs-their eyes a piercing green. But soon their deathly calls became less common until only the occasional cry could be heard. As we made our way down a slight gully, we turned to follow a stream-frozen underfoot. Descending like water over cliff, we made our way down though a narrow in the mount-it was then for the first time that the great valley was upon me…

See Zipfile for the rest of the story.

Map Features.

- 3 invisible sign posts.
- Snow terrain.
- Invisible mountain paths.

Resource availability:-

- Stone mines: 3
- Iron mines: 4
- Abundant trees.

We hope you enjoy the map.

Best Wishes,

WarLord_Designs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
The Dragonheart Hey WL_D. When did you submit your last map?

How did you make invisible signposts?
WarLord_Designs
File Author
That would have been 'Reign of Fire: The Prophecy'
Category: Stronghold: Invasion 07/18/06

Quite a while between releases.

To create invisible sign posts you simply use the magic eraser.

Regards,

Alexus.
Dembones8 we realy need more maps like this!
Lord Tanthos This map by WL_D is extremely excellent, a must download by all players of freebuild maps.

You have perfect resources and the landscape is truly stunning!

I built a massive stronghold and then sieged it to death (as I always do on freebuild maps). The AI were pretty good, but they neglected building siege weapons on most of their attacks.
Llungki pey
(id: younghappy)
Truely spectacular! Your mountains give the impression of being huge, which is quite an achievment in the Stronghold editor.

Everything about this map is perfect, I spend 10-20 minutes just exploring every nook, cranny, gorge and mountian on this map. I can't wait to build a huge castle and settlement.
WarLord_Designs
File Author
Thanks guys,

Glad you all like it. We also just realised we forgot to change the troop restrictions, feel free to alter this if you wish.

WL_D.
Lord Karpathea Wow..........THIS was the breath of fresh air I've been waiting for. I'm glad to see that not all the greats have left this site.
Lord Tanthos Oh yes, I noticed that myself, the troop restrictions I mean. They didn't bother me much though. In freebuild I much prefer archers over crossbowmen and swordsmen or pikemen over macemen.
Dougleass
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
I think the playability and balance categories on freebuilds should be removed lol... ridiculous. Though, it was kinda fun with the soldiers around the campfire.

Balance: 5
What to say...

Creativity: 5
Alot of creativity is seen in the map design, and terraining! Need I say more?

Map Design: 5
Stunning as usual. In fact, this might be your best terrained map yet. The snow, and the mountains gives such a powerful feeling. It looks incredibly realistic.

Story/Instructions: 5
Unlike most freebuilds, this is one accompanied by a story at the level of those that comes with most invasion maps, and really good one too!
Probably a wierd comparison lol, but it's a really good story as usual. Exactly what you expect from the WD team!

Additional Comments:
I hope you two don't mind such a short review, but I never review freebuild maps with such long ones. Actually... I don't remember ever reviewing a freebuild map. =o

I gave a straight 5, because freebuild maps are all about terraining and such, and this map has too be the best one in SH when it comes to that. Honestly.

[Edited on 06/27/07 @ 07:16 PM]

WarLord_Designs
File Author
lol not at all i can gladly accept this short review ;)

[Edited on 09/28/07 @ 05:00 AM]

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0