Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Gorge

Author File Description
Acacia
File Details
Map Size: 160x160 (Tiny)
Difficulty: Normal
No Description Available
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
General Martok Oh boy - sounds fun.
shadowjump
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
This tiny map almost drove me crazy. It took three hours and about ten attempts before I could finally claim victory. Since it is a small and short scenario, you basically have to find the right approach to fend off the bandits and wolves, while trying to meet the objectives for bread and bows. The map is pretty well designed to keep you focused on the objective. My hint would be to get some defense quickly, then focus on the other goals.
Merepatra
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
I enjoyed playing this map, its a short 4 year maximum mission that kept me interested the whole time. The objectives looked fairly easy upon first glance, but the events and limited resources meant it was reasonably challenging. The map is attractive and the story fitted well with the map and events.
Dianna125
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions3.0
An fairly easy mission once you figure out how the plan it out – which can take FOREVER. To make it more difficult there could have been some more goals to complete. I liked the design of the map though, and thought that it provided for a good amount of difficulty when trying to gather resources.
Sulis
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance1.0
Creativity1.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 2

This is an unfortunate case of map making at its very basic. There are minimal events (two, one wolf attack and one bandit attack) with win criteria that is all too easily reached. This is a shame, because it wouldn't take too much for this to be a perfectly acceptable little scenario. The scenario is over with after four years, which isn't long enough to really get into the game, given the modest win criteria needed. A shorter scenario is fine, but would need some pretty tricky conditions to be met. As it is, I can't score this any higher than 2/5.

Balance: 1

As much as it pains me to say so, there is nothing particularly difficult about this scenario at any difficulty level. More events are needed, multiple win criteria to engage the player, or an alternative approach with a longer game life and more structure. I won on normal difficulty level after only two years, less than three on hard setting. Practice is needed in map making, and i'd recommend the author takes much more time and care in any future submissions.

Creativity: 1

As above, there isn't anything here that could be considered as creative, nothing that I could comment on and therefore use to increase the score. See comments re playability: multiple events, numerous win criteria and a scenario that really involves you in some way is a good start.

Map Design: 2

A small map with a little terrain modelling. The waterfall to the top of the map looks okay and the whole concept of a small castle within a gorge is good. Given the level of map design currently produced at the time of this review, I can't justify a higher score than this.

Story/Instructions: 2

The story is brief but explains the idea of the scenario effectively. No instructions as such, no other comments by the author. 2/5 given for content and for submitting something for the player to read. File contains a minimap.

Additional Comments:

The Gorge could be a great little map with a bit more attention and thought. It plays well enough, but there is nothing here that grabs you and makes you want to play it again. My apologies to the author, but this has been reviewed in line with current guidelines. I'd recommend practice first, plenty of playtesting and time spent understanding the very basics of map design from the many scenarios available for download from the site.

[Edited on 12/08/06 @ 03:15 AM]

peter2008 I'd like to recognize the combination of events and win conditions as being creative. The win timer - 4 years only! - probably imposes a thrilling pressure on every player. IF one thinks, there was need of archers here, he/she may come in trouble.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.5
Balance3.5
Creativity3.3