Download File Post Review Post Comment

On the Moor

Author File Description
Bronze Griffin
File Details
Map Size: 200x200 (Small)
Difficulty: Easy
Minimap:
After years of warfare you decided it's time to settle down. You head to the moorland where you were brought up by wolves and taken as a squire by an eccentric knight when you were a teenager.

The King has offered you plenty of money to retire with as long as you provide him with armour and weapons. He doesn't like you, but then, few people do.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
DaHeavenGamer Sounds good. Ill try it out.
Sulis
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.5
Balance2.0
Creativity2.5
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 2.5
This map plays out as a fairly straightforward mission primarily centred on manufacturing weapons. In addition, you must achieve maximum cruelty. The scenario is a fairly quiet affair with a couple of events thrown in which cause minor problems to your progress. It may be basic but there should be enough of a challenge here for newer players. For those more experienced the map doesn't contain enough of a challenge to really excite. Managing your economy isn't quite as straightforward as you might think and although producing food is easy enough, generating gold to place those weapons buildings, and chapels/churches takes a bit of planning. In addition, the trees are quite sparse and tree fungus events wiped out my supply of timber, forcing me to buy from the marketplace. This small aspect of the design really appealed to me and seemed quite suitable for a map based on a moor landscape.

Balance: 2
The map lacked one absolutely vital element which would have made the whole scenario much better and much more of a challenge - a win timer. Forcing the player to achieve the goods in a limited timeframe would quite easily make the map a much more difficult affair. Without this additional function, the map can be played at a steady pace with no real pressure on the player and as a result the difficulty aspect becomes negligible in some ways.

Creativity: 2.5
The idea of a scenario based on a landscape that is fairly limited in terms of natural resources is a good one, and this would have been even better with no trees at all, again forcing the player to think about generating gold to buy supplies. With only cheese and game meat to feed your population and the option to buy wheat to mill into flour should you desire a better food bonus, feeding your population appears to be less than straightforward but I could still double up on rations based on cheese and meat alone. For me, the map needed a little bit 'less' to deserve a little bit 'more', e.g. less food and raw materials for more of a challenge.

Map Design: 2
A bleak enough appearance fitting for a moor landscape, and a good attempt at creating a less than inviting site for a settlement. In terms of design, the terrain looked rather basic and unmodelled, with more care required on the finer points of the design, such as smaller brush sizes to create more intricate features. Having large, flat areas of low plain terrain suits the placement of cheese farms, but it does take on the appearance of a less than thought out design.

Story/Instructions: 2
The story is very limited in quantity and there are no real instructions or supplementary comments to bolster the score. The idea is a good one and the designer could have made a real feature of the landscape to support the style of the map. Based on content alone though, the score must reflect the limited content.
peter2008 [Please see my review.]

[Edited on 12/26/08 @ 07:09 AM]

peter2008
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.5
Balance3.5
Creativity3.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions2.0
The empty, odd plain somehow caught my eye and I wanted to find out what was about to happen there. Played some times on very hard.

Playability: 3.5
A PYOK scenario is exciting from the start. Will you find the balance? In this map the location is rather foreseeable though, with the funny result of the keep being on one side of the stream and the granary far on the other.
In the long run the map becomes challenging and a possible training hour to experience the different developments of the production lines if one installs the -5 fear factor right from the start or, more additionally, at the end.

Balance: 3.5
All the different buildings require lots of wood, the weapons workshops and fear inducers a lot of gold. Nothing comes in by magic but through managing and hard work. Risked to have a small stock of food and waited for the stones to be delivered.
The linchpin of the map is the repeated tree fungus event. For wood is the most basic material for all buildings it is important to get as much of it from the living trees as possible. And to prepare for the time thereafter.

Creativity: 3
None of the elements is new, the mixture is.
Altogether there is some careful thinking behind the map.

Map Design: 2
This landscape is rather dry grassland than a moor. The tree fungus fits only to this biotope. The plain, ugly as such, is functional for the big dairy farms though not without small obstacles. Artless but quite impressive proved the stone quarry at a steep slope. You could easily occupy 20 workers there.
The scripting conclusively makes the mission thrilling. The housekeeper has to respond to them.

Story/Instructions:
Agree completely with Sulis.

Additional Comments:
A mission interesting even though not stunning.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.8
Creativity2.8