Download File Post Review Post Comment

Embrace

Author File Description
Captain Diablo
File Details
Map Size: 300x300 (Medium)
Difficulty: Impossible
Minimap:
Past the moonlit terraces of the horizon space--where lovers meet, collide in fiery explosion, and suns are swallowed in their sweet embraces--there comes a passion of a dark kind. The fires wrought from it burn cold the cosmic blueprint: the universal bonds dissolve and the ever-darkness turns to white. All will burn away, until the core of all thoughts is rendered--black and terrible--against the new canvas. The focus of all things: vengeance. This be not a star--behold!--but a man: lost, and unsung.
----------------------------------------------

*The story is too long for this box; it can be located in the ZIP file*

Greetings fellow Strongholders! In this map I seek to change things from the norm--allow me to explain.

This scenario features a strong puzzle element: you must move through the castle with pin point accuracy--I've used rocks to make most of the castle invincible, and there are certain weak parts in the walls you must find and utilize.

Now, the siege portion is the actual playable part, as you cannot "beat" this map in the normal sense. I've made it so you get inevitably overwhelmed at the end. Brave Sir Robin however, discovered a way to (fairly) beat this scenario, if you find this strategy, please do not spoil it for others.

This makes it so the player has two options, o­ne slightly longer than the other. The story is located in the zip file as well, the map description is a small snippet of it.

Well, I had a great time absorbing feedback and developing this map. Hope you all enjoy it too--good luck and have fun!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
strongholder nl YEAH!! first download. Looks great sounds great. Great
The Hitman Second! :P Nice crater, you got there!
Knightly_Maps The terrain is fantastic!
But that name; was it ever under a different name? I vaguely remember the crater and castle from some images at SHK, was it under a different name?
Captain Diablo
File Author
Thanks for the compliments and comments guys.

It sure was in SHK, it was still called Embrace. I released it under the name Unsung (Captain Diablo was taken : P)...the site's reaction to it was...underwhelming to say the least. : )

I'm trying to find the old thread I made but it's been some time since it was updated.

Hope you all enjoy!

Edit: Both threads in SHH and SHK are still up for viewing.

[Edited on 07/05/08 @ 10:34 AM]

Fintrollx i managed to beat this with 56% troops lost :)
but i don't spoil the strategy as you wish, great map but not beatiful looking..

and by the way great story, fantastic you gotta be an writer!

[Edited on 07/05/08 @ 01:51 PM]

Captain Diablo
File Author
Congrats on the win and thanks for keeping it a secret, don't forget to finish the actual siege though! ^.^

I didn't really want the map to look pretty, just rugged.
Fintrollx Captain D. yeah i first made the actual siege it was not really hard but it's still hard for under moderate player, after that when i finished the actual starting siege when i died to the "impossible" ;D attacking force, but yeah it is impossible without a trick. then i played the map again but now with dirty strategy :)
Captain Diablo
File Author
Go ahead and review it guys! ^.^
Fintrollx
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance3.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design2.5
Story/Instructions5.0
Review to - Embrace - By Captain Diablo

Playability: 4.5
I played the map many times, solving the puzzles, i beated the map on 3rd playing time, with many troops left, but then became the impossible invasion, i couldn't beated even though i got in to the end of the final swordmens coming to keep, i tried many times winning it legitly, until i found out the trick, i used it on the beginning, had alot of troops and was able to beat the impossible invasion, conclusion is that i played the map several times so it made i decent playability, but enough 5 five since after i know the trick there is not much playing left for me in this map, however the map is really playable, thanks to puzzle, and the trick.

Balance: 3
well, this was the weak parts of the map, even without using the dirty trick the map was easy, of course the final invasion was impossible but ceding the castle. and using the trick i found out it was even really easy to beat the last invasion. but in general for players that dont find out the trick and are not good at using archers with attack here comand the puzzles are cool for sure, so i came to conclusion of 3 for balance.

Creativity: 5
Well, the map is weird with iron and alot of stones everywhere, the puzzle, finding the trick, the map is "impossible", all this is very way far from normal stronghold invasion.

Map Design: 2.5
I know you didn't think for the map to be look good, but i always think it should, becouse the map is really odd so is the landscape, not beatiful or much of an eye-candy, but the playing the map itself is good.

Story/Instructions: 5
Great long story. this is the one that gave the feeling to the map, without this the map would be just an boring impossible map :)

Additional Comments:
Good map, not beatiful, but great for playing and solving the puzzle.
Captain Diablo
File Author
I really don't think the score for map design was HARDLY justified. But it was an honest and fair review, so it must pass.

In any case, thanks. : )

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance3.0