Fintrollx
File Details
Map Size: 200x200 (Small)
Difficulty: Normal
Minimap:

Third From The Sun -
By Fintrollx

STORY

January 1135. You have build a house to these lands, miles away from the kingdom. No one knows alot about this place but it looked good to set a settlement, to start hoping for better life... better than in the poor kingdom.. you have recruited workers for yourself; few woodcutters, hunters and an applefarmer, a friend of yours from the kingdom. You have only some gold coins to begin with.. start expanding your area, make a larger settlement. you must remember to train and recruit some guards also. Since the land is unknown you don't know the dangerous creatures beneath it, you must hunt to eat, chop wood to build... you must work hard to survive... 'only the strong survive'.

Night after your house and settlement were built you are sleeping in the upstairs of your keep. you start hearing quiet voices from the window, you reliase you have waken up. tired and still with sleep in your eyes, you step up from your bed and sneak to listen from the window.. you hear quiet talking, whispering from the forest.. you try to find out what the voices are telling but you can't hear clearly. you listen for awhile and shout from the window: "Who is there this time at night, i told we have to get good sleep to be able to work hard tommorrow!" after that the whispering chances to voices of running... you don't hear anything anymore, you go back to your bed confused about all this you don't get sleep very soon. You think about what was that all about.. In the morning you gather your workers to campfire and you ask if some of them were out at night, all of them say they were not and know nothing about what you heard. You trust your workers and start feeling somethings not right....

Author's Notes

Normal difficulty small invasion map (Usually i make Hard), Hard difficulty suggested for better than beginning/novice stronghold players... Zip file includes: Map, Minimap, Hints and story. Hope you have great time playing this map... as i had creating it :)
Reviews and comments are more than welcome, good or bad. i appreciate.

Have fun & Good luck!!!

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Dumptrailer2 Yay! Small invasion maps are my favorite. :)

Looks good from the minimap. Something hard to accomplish on 200x200 maps.
The Hitman I guess I won't be disappointed too ;]
Fintrollx
File Author
Im sure you wont be guys, i still remind you to choose the right difficulty to have the best game experience. :)
peter2008 Hey Fintrollx, I played your new map. It combines the charme of European dark ages landscape and economy, good-old primary weapons and the small map size.
Chose moderate for the beginning - it was thrilling enough for I placed the gates too defensive.
Seducing story, good scripting.
Fintrollx
File Author
Thanks Peter, good to hear from you mate :)
Fintrollx
File Author
Reviews are welcomed!
Stratego Hi Fintrollx,

I had lots of fun playing this relatively "inconspicious" (at first sight)tiny map! In deed, not much to do on the economic side, but enough challenge to deal with those pesky harrassing raiders ...

Played on "normal settings", I finally managed to win by deploring 22% casualties!

I'm going to write up a brief review - this scenario is a MUST for everyone!

[Edited on 10/19/08 @ 03:35 PM]

Fintrollx
File Author
Thanks for the comment Stratego good that you like it, this is not my hardest maps but i think it's still well balanced :)
Stratego
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity3.5
Map Design3.5
Story/Instructions4.0

Playability:
Literally spoken, you are trapped in a “tight corner” immediately at the start, and it’s your steady concern to survive in an inclement wilderness where hordes of wolves and nasty raiders keep on harassing your diligent wood cutters and hunters. Wood, meat, bows and spears – these four central issues are of highest priority here. It’s a pity that there’s not much time to claim/explore the hinterland, especially the territory beyond the little winding river, since you’re permanently under pressure, and peaceful or calm periods (in fact useful to recover) turned out rather short or rare. Most of the time, I had to focus on the crucial hot spots of the map – the ford across the river and the direct vicinity around the manor house and the campfire underneath.

Balance:
Although being played by myself on “normal” difficulty, this map is definitely well-balanced to fit all difficulty levels/settings (from “easy” to “very hard”), no matter what kind of more or less skilled player is dealing with it. You’re always solicitous about a continuing food supply and correlating popularity or taxation. Thus, you keep asking yourself: How many hunters do I need in order to raise the food provisions, and at the same time, how can I rely on their talent of using bows against the enemy? What’s the most efficient strategy to accelerate a proper weapon production by supporting the scripted reinforcements coming to you occasionally? If a consistent recruitment of troops doesn’t work, could I chop and store up enough wood to get the area in front of the keep sufficiently paved with man traps? It took me four restarts to find out what tactics worked the best, and all my measures/planning in the beginning were directed by the threatening final invasion that I overestimated as it actually was. By the way, chapels and churches aren’t necessary building options and can be left out, in my opinion.

Creativity:
Boredom is a foreign word here. Except for the challenge that kept up my attention all time long, I experienced neither any spectacular in game issues nor any attractive eye-candies. I’ve got the impression that the author didn’t pull all the stops that would make a good map perfect. In summary, by taking all parameters into consideration, I’d rather rate this item “mediocre”.

Map Design:
Well, the monotony of the barren landscape sprays its own mystical charm, and I liked the bizarre rugged surface of the terrain widely peppered with stones/pebbles alternating with grassy pastureland for the deer. The soil seems to be infertile as trees are growing at wider distance, so there’s no space for dense forests. Agriculture is impossible in this rough land, and obviously, it has never seen a plough before. So what else should seduce any human soul into settling there?

Story:
The concise but good story includes some secret information matching well to the mysterious spell of the entire scenery. Alas, a few spelling mistakes don’t allow me to award the author’s literary work in this particular case. Besides, I appreciate the good covering hints that might help offering some input if anyone is stuck.

In all, it’s a nice tiny map, recommendable to everyone!

Stratego
Fintrollx
File Author
Thanks for the review Stratego, now i can be happy with this map since i get some thoughts of it :D

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity3.5