von Schmidt
File Details
Map Size: 300x300 (Medium)
Difficulty: Normal
Made with version: 1.2
Minimap:

Caerdalvia

The Defense of Vaulnar

Note: this is only a small part of the story. The entire thing is in the Story file.

Vaulnar was a small stretch of land situated in the mountains of Caerdalvia. It had little stone or iron; lots of trees, but not much else. There was no fortress or stronghold defending the area, only an unimportant outpost, built for defense against wolves more than anything else.
But then the rebellion came.
Suddenly Vaulnar became a thriving military fort, full of rebel knights and their squires. Smaller outposts were built all over the surrounding countryside, watching for royalist forces. Battles were being fought everywhere. The rebels knew that it was only a matter of time before the king and his powerful armies turned to them.

Hey everyone, this is my first SH1 map. It's pretty simple; just defeat all the invasions and you win! It's actually quite easy if you use the right strategy, but you can have a hard time if you try it a different way.

Anyway, thanks to:

Sir_Vet

Peter2008

and Captain Diablo

for playtesting my map.

Have fun!
vSchmidt

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Sir_Vet Hi von Schmidt, your welcome, and thanks for the map.
A good job for a first map, you've given us something nice to look over while trying to figure out the challenge of the solid invasions. Your outpost with the stone gate towers and walls gives the idea of an easy fight, but the wood walls bring a different game.
Keep up the map making, looking forward to more maps!

Sir_Vet
peter2008 I'm bound to say ... you have found a clever and very effective solution to turn a strange habit into an exciting game feature.
During the state of gameplay, we discovered that the invasions coming from the south-eastern signpost have a walk to a certain gathering point. They could be shot at systematically. Now, with a few tiles of ford, things have changed. The troops split up into different directions, acting according to their diverse skills. Many more maces and pikes try to attack my band of archers out there in the fields.
The map is hard on normal, really thrilling now.
MasterofPhate
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.5
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions3.5
Playability: 4
This map was fun to play, involves a lot of action and ordering troops during the battle. The 2 signposts make it a bit more interesting although they still attack on generally the same area. This was great to play, needs an aggressive and active defender, you can't just sit around and watch the swordsmen reach your walls, many things need to be done and choices made before victory can be achieved.

Balance: 4
This map is well balanced, it took multiple tries before I figured out how to deploy my troops and other resources to achieve victory. The inability to rebuild the weak wooden walls make this map exciting, one breach early on and it becomes very very hard, the walls are key here. (There is actually a way to repair a breach though =P

Creativity: 3.5
This was a hard score for me to give out, but it came down to the story. The map was creative with the castle design, but the story was not creative enough to supply a better background, it felt hollow.

Map Design: 5
Wow. Great design here. The castle looks awesome and the terraining is excellent. I like the rocky feel of the map, makes it edgy like the ensuing battles.

Story/Instructions: 3.5
The story was a real letdown for me. You could have turned this into an epic battle but instead it was chance battle with some sort of rebellion against an Empire, no truly developed characters or background of why there is a rebellion going on, why they chose that outpost etc.

Additional Comments: This was a very satisfying map to play, I am glad I downloaded it. Only thing it is more of a siege than an invasion, can't build much, but still a great invasion none the less. Keep up the great work von Schimdt!!
von Schmidt
File Author
Thanks for the review MasterofPhate! I'm glad you liked it :)

And I understand what you mean about the story. Usually I'm pretty good with them, but this time I couldn't really get any good ideas, so only managed a bit of one.
Lord Dredde Hi von schmidt,thanks for the great map,highly entertaining.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.5