Download File Post Review Post Comment

Valley Of The Serpant

Author File Description
reservoirpo
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Made with version: 1.2
Minimap:
The snake is hiding out in a valley, you have been sent by king po to build a base from which u can track him and his band of outlaws down ,but the snake is counting on this and is waiting to ambush you and send your head back to the king
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
MasterofPhate Well you sure are making a lot of maps these days.
peter2008 Nice title, sounds like "lion's den". And indeed, the land around the frutile shores is so steep and uneven that relatively few buildings fit there. Had "only" some 96 population ;). Closing the fords is especially difficult, too.
A PYOK map brings a welcome change for the start. Food is a problem for long. Luckily, wood isn't. A good material to stop pert macemen.
Cause, o-o, the invasions are fine, extreme already on normal. Half of the landscape is not used by my workers, but that space is needed to gather all the hostile hordes. Though they are cannon fodder separately, in big waves they make up a severe danger. Was thrilling fun to give'em hell.
I'm grateful that events happen moderately. Exciting that weapons trading is restricted. My kingdom for more leather armour! Then I got the clever idea to produce metal armour, too.
Thanks for the entertaining mission.
ericgolf
Staff
I am half way through this one at the moment and I am having great fun!
ericgolf
Staff
I had great fun reaching victory in this map :)
I was able to make loads of xbows and archers to keep the enemy at bay. I placed my keep in the expected place but there were plenty of other options if I had wanted to try them.
reservoirpo
File Author
thanks for playing guys im glad u had fun could u plz write a review
ericgolf
Staff
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.5
Creativity3.5
Map Design3.5
Story/Instructions2.0
Review of "Valley of the Serpant"

Summary- Overall score 3.3
A highly enjoyable map. If you like building your economy from scratch and fighting of big invasions then I recommend you download this!

Playability: 4 - Excellent
I played on Normal and had a great time. There were plenty of possibilities to locate my keep but I went for the obvious one that seemed to offer the best defence. The playing time could maybe have been a bit shorter.

Balance: 3.5 - Good
I played on Normal and won first time. It could maybe have been a bit more challenging but I must confess to being a bit out of practice these days so balance is probably quite close to being right. I did not try it on hard or very hard. (I suspect that the sprite limit, 1500 humans on the map, might be reached at very hard as the invasion numbers seemed large at Normal level. So balance might be affected at very hard).

Creativity: 3.5 – Very Good.
The main aspect that showed very good creativity was the creation of a terrain to channel the invasions through choke points (see map design below). It is nice to have a “Complete Castle” goal in a map like this. It adds to the challenge.

Map Design 3.5 – Good
Positives:- As I said above the layout of the terrain was very good and it is this (along with suitable signpost placement) which makes the map what it is, a very enjoyable PYOK map. Big rock placement made for some interesting problems targeting with missile troops. Terrain form made for an interesting challenge when placing buildings. Terrain adjustments had clearly been made to contribute to game play.
Negatives:- A bit rough and ready. More time needs to be taken to smooth the terrain and make it look less artificial in places. The use of big rocks was also a negative, in that the way they were used just on their own did not look natural. The forming of the choke points was a bit artificial in that there did not seem do be a natural reason for some tiles simply being several clicks higher to produce a movement block. You might want to investigate how to use the 2000 stone trick to invisibly block movement while allowing the appearance of a natural terrain.

Story/Instructions 2 – A basic and simple story.
The story on the site description page has a couple of minor grammatical errors. The story in-game is slightly better in terms of proper punctuation and in that there is a little more content. To improve on story score try adding some simple instructions to introduce and describe the map on the site description page. Adding a note of the win goals on the site description can also allow you to enhance the DL page without having to do much extra thinking.
(btw - the correct spelling of "serpant" is serpent.)

Additional comments:-
Well done, author! I love to play PYOK maps and you have provided a fun and interesting setting for me to build my victory.

[Edited on 04/05/09 @ 04:35 AM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.5