01 Fair Trade

Author File Description
WarLord_Designs
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Difficulty: Normal
Made with version: 1.2
Minimap:
Please note: 1.2 patch required. Future maps will be made with v 1.0 so that there will be no issues.

Greeting to the Stronghold Community,
Before you say it, yes we did say that we weren’t making any more maps, however with the release of the AI Mod tools it was simply too hard resist.

This is the first map of a series (exact number? No idea.) of maps that will feature customized Crusader AI. As you progress the challenges will become greater, although the objectives will remain the same, achieve victory by defeating the enemy lords.

Though this is a single player map, it is at heart a skirmish; however features such as customized bases and keeps require me to edit such things in the single player editor format. This means I can create a lot of eye-catching features and give the map a greater visual dimension. One of the most annoying examples of such designs is that the AI doesn’t build over the stone borders that appear on cliffs, therefore in this map I had to place larger areas of cliff and then remove them in the editor.

With that said I have thoroughly enjoyed creating this map and will be sure to continue in the future, the ability to edit the AI has introduced a completely new face to Crusader and I feel the urge to design once more.
I would like to thank Arthus for trying to help me with the tree placement. :p

Rather than a full story I have included some screens that provide you with information concerning your enemies and allies.

As always comments and reviews are welcome.

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
The Dragonheart 2nd download!!! Looks great, playing now!

EDIT: Oh, no, I tried to play it but then Crusader shut down...

[Edited on 04/17/09 @ 09:53 PM]

TwoDie Very buggy map... I want to save game, press key icon -> Error... want to ask of allies wood -> Error...

You have used AIV editor from firefly?

[Edited on 04/18/09 @ 06:03 AM]

WarLord_Designs
File Author
Its because you need the 1.2 patch, otherwise you cant play it without it crashing. See the map room thread.

[Edited on 04/18/09 @ 03:39 AM]

WL_D Arthus Firefly need to release patch 1.2 for people with Vanilla SHC. They gave us mod tools but compatibility remains a huge issue without the necessary update.
People with SH-warchest or SHC-extreme will have no problems. Sorry to repeat what Alexus said but i'd hate to see anyone placing the blame on him at this point.
peter2008 Skirmish invasions are a great thing. With altered circumstances and trading and building restrictions implemented, they can provide the player with a different experience of both the AIs he/she has to deal with and the own fighting measures at hand. Acting together with allies and getting goods from them is very important (compare the title of the map).

As often, the starting period is the most exciting one. A small raiding from the Rat is running and the two enemies soon will launch their first attack. What to do to set up defences rapidly?
The Sultan is a most rewarding ally. He gives away the few goods he stores down to keeping zero. I downright plundered him repeatedly.
Almost unknown is the use of the "Defend me" button. Great new experience to call the ally for help.

Having repelled the first attacks, happy expansion is called for. Here, the map is too friendly. Greenery is nearby, deposits for four quarries are not or almost not endangered. Olive trees there are enough. After some concerns about the small number of trees pre-placed and about the Sultan's fair number of woodcutters had passed, I distributed my woodcutters well and had a surplus of 300 wood at the stockpile - with four fletchers working.
Served double rations and had to give bread away to the Sultan, nevertheless (no food trading).
In return, I took the freedom and smashed all the apple orchards of the Sultan. This AI ususally does not place any farms but buys food anyway. It's a Crusade going on, the holy land is for the chosen ones, isn't it?

The very new aspect of "Fair Trade" are the custom AI castles created by the AIV(= AI village) Editor which FireFly has released to the community only recently. It will be exciting for everyone to see the well-known neighbours inhabiting new settlements. Two aspects of castle building work well. Damaged walls and smashed towers will be replaced, annihilated tower engines and troops will be replaced. While it does not seem possible to modify the AIs' attacking strengths, their defences can be enforced considerably. Watching and sieging the Snake's stronghold, made up with three defence lines, was a fun job. (He's not acquainted with the use of mangonels. They are placed too far behind.)
The villages of the Sultan and the Rat are mere outposts which I found a bit disappointing. But all three installments are modelled tasty, even stunning. The southern flank of the Snake's castle with very high walls stabilized by pillars is eye candy mastership.

Also very much liked the areas of grass for their natural look. Often they are embedded in the shadow of bizarre rocky lines. Perhaps the plateau of the enemies could have taken some green spots, too.

Many thanks for the map being a skirmish-invasion and probing the AIV Editor. More of such challenges, please.

[Edited on 04/18/09 @ 11:29 AM]

The Hitman Looks interesting... Will try it out, thanks.
TwoDie In the beginning looks harder then it is... :) Nice job and Good idea :D

Sethyboy Very sexily done guys :D

I was thinking ever since the editor came out that I should make a military mission with custom AI, but I kind of suck with the map editor.

You have a really good idea, which I hope is repeated by more good designers :P
WarLord_Designs
File Author
Thanks everybody, again sorry to those who have v 1.0.

Glad you are all having fun. :)
lord theo Hi i liked your map, very much. i was wondering if you could give some pointers on how make the grass look real? i hope this isnt off topic to much!
P.S i checked the section map making 101, it help alot
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:499
Favorites: [Who?]0