File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Difficulty: Hard
Made with version: 1.2
Minimap:

Hadrian's Wall

by Palat

the most historically inaccurate map ever made

Difficulty: Hard to Impossible (played on Very Hard)

Story:

It was morning in IX Hispana’s camp. The air was cold. Meanwhile, thousands of Roman legionaries prepared for the day. Loud noises were heard: the pounding footsteps of marching soldiers, commands being ordered. Billows of grey smoke billowed into the air.
Suddenly, a loud noise was heard. “Open the gates! Quick!” People gathered to see. As the huge wooden doors opened, in trotted a man in a purple toga, accompanied by several other heavily armed guards. Everyone gasped- it was the Emperor himself, Hadrian, right here.

The mighty ruler and his companions dismounted. A centurion rushed to attend him. “Sire, what brings you to visit our encampment?”

“Nothing really. I just came to visit. Bring me to the wall.”

“What wall? That wall?” the legionary pointed towards a partly constructed stone fortification.

“Yes, that wall, idiot.”

The soldier stepped back shamefacedly. Hadrian was led to the fortification.

“Ah! Perfect!” Then the emperor stopped. “What is that? I hear voices...”

He bent over the wall to see a couple hundred thousand tribesmen staring back at him across the hills.

“Gods! Man the wall! Yes, I know it’s not finished!” Hadrian screamed at a legionary who was about to ask him that.

Heart thumping wildly in his chest, the emperor ran as fast as he could to a stronghold he had constructed near the seaside.

And then, as the Emperor drew his sword, the tribesmen charged with glorious zeal and loud booming cries were heard as a sea of arrows converged upon them...

This is my first Stronghold map, so please comment & rate!!!

More screenshots are available in the forum.

Thanks,

Palat

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
ericgolf
Staff
Hi palat,
Impressive screenies... but could you please reduce their size a bit? Please make them no wider than 500 pixels. (Otherwise they can cause problems for members viewing at slightly lower screen resolution settings.
peter2008 [Messed up the map file and the docx file.]

[Edited on 04/21/09 @ 04:27 AM]

Sir Ravenclaw I must say, nice use of HTML to really grab a readers attention - the screenshots are impressive too!
PAlAT
File Author
Thanks, everyone.

@ericgolf: Yeah I will be fixing them in a bit.

@ Peter: I just got winrar and I'm not used to it so I assume just putting the map file in there is okay, I'm not sure.

Does anyone have the same file problem Peter is having? It has some minor issues, but it worked on Alexus' pc all right.

@ Sir Ravenclaw: (yeah, took me a lifetime :P)
PAlAT
File Author
I have already clarified this in the forum, but just to make sure for anyone who is downloading this map & hasn't read the post:

There are minor glitches.

Woodcutter problem, peasants turn into woodcutters (even if huts arent built) then disappear as they cut down trees.

Trebuchet problem, enemy trebuchet attacks own walls. (solved)

AI mysterious switch, possesion of Invasions switch from other AIs to Rat. Rare case, happened once. Probably will again.

-----

These problems may cause the map to have major problems sometimes, feel free to notify me if anything goes wrong. ;)

Palat

-----

I just changed the size of the pics so they should have no problem. I checked the zip file and that's weird because it ended with .map...

[Edited on 04/21/09 @ 01:17 AM]

peter2008 Sorry, I messed it up with a docx file. Now trying to deal with a lag.
Fintrollx Nice download section look, and design. and the map looks great for first one!
Lord Gandor
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.5
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.5
Fun little map, though having to turn around and siege their fort with limited troops was just cruel. =/

Playability: 4
Had a couple issues with a monster group of archers grouping on the signpost, I don't know if they usually do that though. Nice map, a quick little "barbarians at the gate" battle that calls for troop strategy and luck rather than economy. Couple of glitches, as you mentioned, though I didn't have too much of a problem with them.

Balance: 4.5
Pretty good balance, though maybe a little off. Held the wall for a few minutes before a complete fall-back to the castle where it turned into a bloodbath (for them mostly). Took a couple of tries, there are a quite a few men in their base and if you're already depleted from the initial battle it can get tricky. The archers massing around the signpost was my doom the first time around, my entire army got shot down while charging even as I finished clearing the base.

Creativity: 5
Mixing Rome and Stronghold is thinking outside the box enough, and this one isn't just historical. It's inaccurately historical, which is twice as creative. ;-D

Map Design: 4
First Stronghold map, I believe you said? Nice for a first shot, it's kind of a leap from Crusader. My first advice would be, as far as landscape goes, detail is everything. Just cram crap in there. This isn't crusader with miles of sand, it's rough. Take a long look at WL_D's Carreg Cennen (Or any of theirs really) and you'll see how even the plains before Minas Tirith aren't flat, and every tile is a different height from the ones surrounding. There was a good bit of rocks and such in the heights behind the wall, but I felt the valley was a little bare.

I loved the wall, it was indeed very half-finished. The fire beacon bay thingy was cool, nice little eye candy to distract from the battle. Nice sunken castle walls, nice castle, decent ship, such and such and such. Good job.

Story/Instructions: 3.5
Kind of short. I'm no master story writer myself, and I'm not asking for Tolkien, but some history documents and such would have really rounded it out.

Additional Comments:
Sheep, piracy, and horses. That is all. Oh, and keep up the good work, you've got some great SH maps ahead of you.
PAlAT
File Author
Thanks for your review L_G.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown