Author File Description
Fayez2010
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Difficulty: Hard
Made with version: 1.2
Minimap:
Over Crowding-Where to Live __Updated
A complex map in which you'll handle crowding of -10 and you'll not be able to decrease crowding negative!

Story:
You were the leader of an arabian village. From the beginning you didn't had very good relationship with your neighbors. They were also arabians but they said that you're strayed from your religion and you and your villagers drink every night and trade ale and hops. It was true however. That's why. They've became your enemies. Taking the fact that your village was too small, both in population and area, they even attacked on you several times. Anyway this is all history. Forget and get yourself drunken...

It was night. You were getting ready for the dinner. Suddenly some horrible sounds outside from keep began to rise. Women and children were shouting. Before you could go outside, a person with fear on his face rushed into the keep's hall. He was your senior minister. He said that forces of Nawab (Sultan, the enemy) have again managed to enter the village. They've torched all our good stuff, ale and inn's and killed many of our men! Our peasants are being killed and they are now rushing from the village. Before he could explain more, an enemy swordsman entered the keep and immediately killed the minister. You then took your sword and killed the enemy's man on spot without any encounter. You and your three men were left in the keep. Soon you received news that lady has also been killed in her chamber. But without taking care of the dead, you all four rushed to the top of the keep.

When you reached keep's top, fire, dead bodies and ruins could be seen around in this deadly night. In time enemy's men reached inside the keep! Fortunately there was no one at the back of the keep. You men took this spot as an advantage and jumped. Then you all rushed and hide in the rocks nearby. There were still some of your men fighting with enemy. Then you and your men walked out swiftly and left the village. Man can live without lady but not without food. So after sometime when dust settled and fire got extinguished, one of your men went back to the village and stole a lot of food and also brought some reports.

Enemy had taken control of the village and an armored man was guiding other soldiers. That was the condition, your man saw. Anyhow, now that you had some rations, a day passed and another passed and then another but none was concluded, how to retake the village???One day some men joined us who fled at time of revolt. That evening some more horsemen joined us. They were all your remaining soldiers! You then again sent of your men to bring some more reports. The soldier returned after sometime and reported that enemy has rebuilt some buildings and two huge pots of oil, I don't know why they build those pots of oil, your soldier said. "I know", you replied. Then you suggested a plan.

You said that one of us will again go to the village this night and break one of the huge pots of oil. Your all soldiers understood your trick "River of Fire" and admired you. So it was done as directed by you. Next morning when enemy opened the eyes, the whole village was filled with oily land. Now you suggested that we should now burn the other other oil pot which will help the fire to spread on the oily ground. This trick will give the enemy a serious set back. Then you saw a strange man running towards you. He said that the villagers have taken shelter in other nearby villages and will only return if you retake the village from enemy and increase its economy. You accepted the challenge.

To the Gameplay:
NOTE:
Scripting is complex as it is armed with 'binary memory' and logical operator 'lower than' technique. So I think it may take long to describe every point. Read on...

The Mission:
When you'll retake the village, people will start coming. You'll receive them in the form of slaves. You will disband them for gaining victory. BUT!!!! You can't wait for all to arrive and then disband them all at once! Instead there are minor objectives in the game which you must achieve (read objectives below). Cede events are used to have slaves. Not used archers.

The EASY version
Firstly, you won't find it difficult. But if you fail, the EASY version is for you. It has less bad events, less amount of goods to be gathered and less enemy troops when attacking but more villagers coming for you and more oasis space. But, I don't recommend playing it. Because if normal version have difficulty 100, the EASY version may have 25!!! i-e 1/4th. If you give review, don't review the EASY version. So be brave and play the normal game. But still check easy...

STARTING DATE: Jan 1200
OBJECTIVES: 100 PEOPLE (WIN)
LOSE: LORD-KILLED
LOSE: IF DIDN'T SUCCEED IN MINOR OBJECTIVES

Minor Objectives:(Must Achieve!)
The mission has many parts in terms of objectives.
Part: 1: You must have more than 30 people before Dec 1202.
Part: 2: You must have 60 people and 1200 gold (1000 in easy version) before 1207.
Part: 3: Then have 85 people and 100 bread (65 bread in easy version) before Mar 1210.
Part: 4: Then achieve 95 people before Mar 1212.
Part: 5: After that, you'll receive about 10 slaves (20 slaves in easy). It's upto you to disband them at any time as the game continues.

After Victory:
A win-timer will appear after you've reached the objectives. You'll face many bad events. You should neutralize all the negative effects and should keep the people above 100 for 12 months more.

Hints and Tips:
1. Use slave to burn the smelter which will help the fire to spread on the oily land.
2. Smelter should be burned in time when black archers come near it. (after that well worker will extinguish the fire on smelter.
3. When captured, first focus on food.
4. Use oasis for wheat and use money for hops.
5. If you feel gold shortage, start producing weapons.
6. Make sure your peasants start drinking from the beginning.
7. Use religion advantage in the beginning.
8. Aren't these enough? More in the .zip file.

Behind the screen :
Let me tell you about scripting. When you receive slaves by cede-event, why should you disband them? Ans: An invasion will occur after sometime when you receive slaves. If you've achieved objectives, a bandit event will occur, killing the whole invasion. If you don't reach objectives, bandits will not come and invasion will attack you. Scripting is designed in such a way that if you attacked that invasion, you'll lose! Understood, the reality of this mission? More info about this type of scripting is <<<here>>>

Author's Views :
When I started making this mission first, I had only the idea about a mission in which player have to handle -10 crowding. I then made it 'without lower than and binary memory techniques' and sent it to play test. Thanks to play-tester, Palat who spotted a great issue. "Player can easily gather all the slaves and disband them at once!" Then I think on this issue deeply and then concluded that why not add advanced scripting techniques? I then made partitions of the objectives so that the player can't now disband all at once.
Moreover I had only the idea about mission gameplay. I had no story, so sorry for this fake story with lots of errors, I think. But I hope you would much like the game play and the minor-objectives specially. Take this map as the last gift from me before my schools opens and vacations end. So then I may rarely make such detailed maps. See you in my other economic maps.

Don't review the EASY version. Instead use all the aspects of normal mission for reviewing, if you want to give

Special Thanks to:
1. Palat (playtester)
2. Peter2008 (suggestions)
3. Lord_of_Hell (appreciation)

Thanks
Fayez2010

Updated it
0.1. Map is now unlocked.
0.2. Again inserted the EASY version.
0.3. Made oasis near water bodies.
0.4. Made retaking village more difficult.
0.5. Some changes in readme file.

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Lord_of_Hell Looks good. I'll check it out soon :)
smalllion Nice story and design of this map is good too.Keep up the good work.
Fayez2010
File Author
Thanks to you Lord_of_Hell and smalllion.
peter2008 I'm late to check out your new map. Looks attractive and interesting.
peter2008 - This is a Must Play.
I have almost never seen a map where the decisions of playing bear such direct (and unavoidable) consequences to the outcome.
It is dense down to seconds time for your deeds and reactions.
And it's about the feature of Overcrowding, to have more peasants than housing space. On the contrary, the task is to keep an increasing number of people happy and alive under changing conditions. Conditions which likewise work consecutively: what you have gained in one phase will be needed to manage the next one. This way, the mission does not get easier by the time - great.

In numbers, it's creativity 5/5. Balance 4.5/5 as some casual players may become desparate.

Some remarks.
- The scripting is divine. There are two kinds of special combinations or sequences of events which make up unique happenings.
You get real reinforcements (tasteful: not just a bunch of slaves alone but with few and varied units). So not the well-known archers event but by repeated cedes. (I guess that at least cause unfortunately the map has been locked. Not nice: others cannot learn from it. I don't see the danger of reading the script before playing the map. This would be like playing Age of Empires missions with "fog of war" removed - to the bad of the person.)
And there is a combination of events which includes a bandit event to neutralize incoming invasions and thus check some lower than conditions. Invented and decribed by ultima_spock in his Course on programming scripts downloadable on our site. (Only he and AZ ViTrAzhAs have used that trick so far, if I see it right.)

- The landscape is pleasingly detailed. The surface of the flat ground is of very varied kind. The overall look is also interesting. Before playing I watched the minimap for a long time to get an idea of its character. For me, it feels like a way into a semi-desert area coming from the two ponds in the south.
Here is where I want to criticize. While I accept that there are greeneries scattered all around, the green is lacking where it should be there if only there: at the water places.
In other words, you have shown you do in-depth shaping of the land. Now either make it more naturally fitting or a clear fantasy land.

- The story is fine and vivid. You could ask a friend or a teacher with humour to correct the English. (E.g. the shift from present tense to past tense and back.)

- The hints. They should rather come separate for people to use only after some tries. (So to say a locked solution.)
And for my feeling they read like a walkthrough other than being hints.

Here I tend to ignore the mapmakers' style (as creative as it also is) and like to try & find my own way.
So I had no fun for setting on fire what would be mine in the future. The smelter gives back some iron which I could sell early on.
This cede allows to excitingly use the "Parthian shot", to shoot at the same time as the opponents but to be away when their arrows land while the own ones hit. This way I did not loose/ spend a single starting unit.

My bad that I disbanded many of them at the first try. Well, the consequences.
Needed 3 new sweating tries to win the map.
If you'd do some corrections on the nature and story text, it will be worth a good rating. As it's also a Must Review.
Fayez2010
File Author
Thanks for the detailed comment. Explain a little more about changes in landscape and map design and I'll change. And why balance is 4.5?

[Edited on 11/12/11 @ 03:21 AM]

peter2008 Just random comments for now.
I will send you a mail with more concrete explanations and some screens concerning the landscape.

Judging Balance, good question.
Sometimes I think a map was too hard to give medium players a chance to react.
But obviously you wanted to go to the border of time and measures as neat as possible which is thrilling.
Fayez2010
File Author

EDITED:
Map is now updated. Now unlocked. With more natural surroundings around water bodies. With an easy version. And a few grammar mistakes solved (by myself). Now reviewing this map is open for you (IF YOU THINK THAT THIS MAP IS REVIEWABLE).And 249 downloaders! Download it again! Now it has a bit more challenges and an easy version.Download!

[Edited on 09/28/11 @ 08:51 AM]

Fayez2010
File Author
Much thanks for appreciating my work in SHH news. IT'S MORE THAN A REVIEW FOR ME!!!

[Edited on 11/07/11 @ 08:48 AM]

Captain Diablo Great map; excellent job by fayez as always. :)

I'd also like to commend Lord of Hell for (finally) newsing community maps.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.3
Balance5.0