Attack of the Wolven

Author File Description
PaultheDubious
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Difficulty: Hard
Made with version: 1.2
Minimap:
This tale is set in a dark time, when superstition is rife and mothers tell their children of the dark creatures that roam the world, preying on the unprepared. Chief among the feared monsters of the nether-world are the ‘Wolven’, also called werewolves and lycanthropes: men who become crazed and fearless beasts, unable to tell friend from foe in their blood-frenzy – rumours abound of an army of these shape shifters, led by Lord Wolfgang Lupine II, known to his enemies as The Wolf.

This fiend has taken one of your coastal bastions, Castle Silverton, by force; breaching the walls and putting your subjects to the sword. One lone survivor rides hard to the capital to report this outrage, spluttering his account through gouts of foaming blood before dying of his wounds.
Brooking no delay, you muster an army to retake the castle. The sight that greets you is one of horror and devastation; your people are being hacked and burned by The Wolf’s men, whilst his lupine minions gaze on. Even now, more of the evil Lord’s forces are marching to bolster the garrison – you have limited time.

On regaining possession of Castle Silverton it is imperative that you take steps to prepare for a counter attack. Repair the breach in the walls and begin manufacturing crossbows and silver-tipped bolts, then repair the crumbling walls and towers ready to face the combined forces of men and wolves.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Korsfarer Mogens My first attempt (yesterday) to take the castle ended in disaster (had almost no men left when I finally took control), so I didn't finish it, but decided to have a second go at it today, and I just won easily. ;-)

No, I got a shaky economy going, and just managed to repel all attacks. My castle walls were like swiss cheese at the end, but no enemy was even close to the inner keep at any time.

It's a very hectic scenario, too hectic to be truly enjoyable for me - like not being able to enjoy the landscaping, which you obviously spend some time on - but it was very satisfying to win! :-)

Aside the above, I can highly recommend this fine scenario to anyone who wants to deal with pressure. The player is forced to act fast from the very beginning of the scenario, and mistakes will not be forgiven!

PaultheDubious
File Author
Thank you! Much appreciated :)
Duc Volpe
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.5
Creativity4.5
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Very good, and challenging mission overall!

Playability: 4.5
This scenario is, as mentioned before, very hectic early on. Perhaps a little too much for my tastes but I don't let that influence the score by too much.

What does influence the score, however, are some strange behavior from the invaders, sometimes life saving ones too. For some reason they (especially the swordsmen) insist on gathering behind the castle, even to their own detriment, if the castle is enclosed. Sometimes they clash with the wolfs that spawn behind that, making the latter some unlikely allies. Another issue came up that the engineers in the larger waves only set their siege engines up in the south west direction.

Balance: 4.5
I did this mission in two tries. The first I gave up because I messed up the assault part and took large casulties and subsequently was struggeling for life in those first waves.

In the second go I did so much better. That still didn't mean I could slack off, as I found out at the very end. I had assembled an army of 250 men, 1/5 being crossbowmen, and was confident at that point nothing the Wolf could throw at me was going to beat me. That was until I spotted that final army with a frightening number of swordsmen. It was a close call I admit.

My point is, you have little room for mistakes, especially early on. And even if you make none, still expect some close calls.

Creativity: 4.5
Cede and 'hold the castle' mission. I think it was done pretty good.

Map Design: 4.0
It was a little too hectic for me to enjoy and admire the landscape. But it seemed desolate and a little depressing, which fits the storyline.  

Story/Instructions: 5
A strong and solid storyline. Brief and straight to the point too.

Additional Comments:
I think it's a little strange that pikemen are available to recruit, but no poleturner to produce pikes, nor to buy on the market. A minor oversight?

Otherwise, solid mission!
PaultheDubious
File Author
Thanks for your review, Leto, great to get extensive feedback.

Yes, the pikemen recruitment issue was definitely an oversight, I'll fix that at some point! (I hadn't noticed at all!)

Glad it captured a gloomy atmosphere, that's what I was hoping for.

Paul
Lord Stafeft omg that was hard on normal but totally awesome
I mean that was the Wolf of my nightmares not like in the campaign.
Thanks for not activating the fires in the game.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.5
Creativity4.5