The Butcher's End campaign - DEMO

Author File Description
AltherotCZ
File Details
Map Size: 200x200 (Small)
Difficulty: Normal
Made with version: 1.2
Minimap:
WORLD MAP is a file containing a conquest map of Europe, how it evolves for each mission, just like in Stronghold.

Both missions have given storyline in mission briefing, text file.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
JRodo
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.5
Balance3.5
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions2.5
This campaign demo seems to attempt to replicate the original SH. It starts off with rudimentary weapons and palisade and eventually, heavier weaponry, engines and defence shall be introduced.
The conquest of Europe is rather 'grand' (OTT if you want).

Map 1: Looks simple, but tried it twice on normal difficulty and failed. On easy, I had to rush my spearmen up the keep and lost half of them.
Nothing new here, but I have no problems with that. Replicating, a historical castle, event or the original SH itself is in my opinion an aspect of creativity. The author has to work within tight parameters.
The terrain is interesting and one obviously needs to take advantage of heights.
Story is not very convincing. Perhaps the lord being attacked while on a hunting trip may have been better suited for the scenario.

Map2: A much easier map, I found it easy on normal level.
Not much to do, economy wise and one cannot erect walls or hovels, nor can one recruit troops. So occupy your eighteen peasants well and take care of your soldiers.
Terrain is simple; but still looks nice and giving height advantage. Played on a mini map, this is SH at its simplest, but it is still a pleasant, quick map.
Not much of a story, it is more of an intermezzo.

All in all, It was fun. Pity that fans of this version dwindled, we would have enjoyed the full campaign by another die-hard. Thanks AltherotCZ.

Lord John
jrodo@euroweb.net.mt
JRodo Hi AltherotCZ, I attempted a review, but probably it was not up to standard, no matter.
These are rather simple maps by way of mission and terrain, however they still manage to immerse the player. This is what is so outstanding about them. The terrain, for example is plain, but contours and heights are essential for playability and balance. Pity that there was no response when the demo was issued, we would have probably enjoyed the whole campaign.
AltherotCZ
File Author
Hey, I am glad you checked it out, I am not a big complex maker for this matter of maps, never was, never intend to be. My campaign is a small project just for fun and mainly for casuals, but I still do appreciate greatly critique you gave me! I took a long pause on the campaign since I saw no interest or feedback on this demo, so I thought it is already screwed, but who knows, once I have enough drive to continue, I'll do more progress.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.5
Balance3.5
Creativity4.0