Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Stronghold: Invasions » Beaumont Motte 1102 AD (update)

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Beaumont Motte 1102 AD (update)

Author File Description
Jack ofallTrades
File Details
Map Size: 400x400 (Large)
Difficulty: Normal
Minimap:
This is my first map submission to Stronghold Heaven. I have tried to make an invasion type scenario with a twist. You will have to defend Your "Motte and Bailey" castle, attack the neighbouring lords and met two important economic objectives in order to be victorious. Hopefully, this will keep You busy and interested troughout the entire 30 year misson.

THE STORY:
When William the Conqueror`s son, William II (Rufus), dies in a "hunting accident" in 1100, his youngest brother Henry I (Beauclerc) immidiately resumes power. The third son Robert II (Corthose), later Duke of Normandy, is at the time away on the first Crusade of 1095. Beaumont Motte, build by one of William the Conqueror`s hencemen sir Goubert de Beaumont sometime between 1070 and 1075, is one of the numerous Motte and Bailey castles erected during the building spree initiated by the Normans following the Battle of Hastings. Sir Hugh de Beaumont (the Rat) inherits the castle in 1095 when his father dies. He is one of the Normans which later take Robert`s side against his brother Henry, when he in 1101 tries to take control of the english trone. As a consequence, Hugh de Beaumont loses every honour in 1102 and Beaumont Motte becomes the crown`s property. Shortly afterwards, John Godefroy (You) returns to England from Constantinoble after serving in a nobleman`s guard since taking part in the first Crusade`s capture of the Holy City Jerusalem. John is made an unexpected and generous offer, by king Henry I, to become keeper of the Beaumont Motte. Upon his arrival to Beaumont Motte, John receives orders to stockpile stone and replenish the treasury to replace it. At first everything seems just fine, but John`s hope for a peacefull future is to be short lived. Robert II is finally imprisoned by Henry I in 1106, after his defeat at Tinchebrai in Normandy. Then it becomes clear that the neighbouring lords loyalty to his majesty is dubious and they take a sudden dislike toward John as his representative. It turns out to have been a huge mistake, on king Henry`s part, not to have imprisoned Hugh de Beaumont in 1102. He has now recruited men for his cause and somehow managed to get sir Trustin d`Auffay (the Pig) and sir Geoffrey de FitzOsbern (the Wolf) to take part in a conspiracy to have John, the upstart, removed. Hugh is driven by the anger over losing the family`s property and is out for revenge, and together the foes have not quite given up hope to see Robert on the english trone. John find himself surronded and unable to send for aid. King Henry I, on the other hand, does not suspect anything after receiving fake reports supposedly from John by the hands of their common enemies. They hope to escape retaliation from his majesty by their cover-up story, which is to blame John`s death on the Welsh. And the Welsh leader Gruffyd ap Cyan (the Snake) is indeed an imminent danger, just waiting for the right opportunity to take advantage of the present situation.

Note! Every comment regarding William the Conqeror`s three sons are, to the best of my knowledge, historically correct. The rest is pure fiction on my part. See attached ReadMe file for hints and additional comments.

Good Luck.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
brave sir robyn Playability: 4 There is plenty to do on this map and it will take some effort to beat it. With eco-goals, invasions and two castles to take down you need to plan your actions well, the time limit puts pressure on but also provides focus.

Balance: 5 As above, this scenario makes you think. This game took me several attempts to beat at normal level, eventually winning with four months to spare and 88% losses, its got that 'I will beat this' factor.

Creativity: 4 The author has made an enjoyable game, the attacks are good and you'll wonder if you'll survive to start with, there's a bit of everything in this map and it works well.

Map Design:4 A well detailed natural looking map.

Story/Instructions: 5 Well written and outlines the map very well.

Overall this is a great map that keeps you interested till the end. An excellent first map by the author.
NAT
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
This is a stunning map and very well done - my only complaint can be about the hardness. It is very hard, and you have to capture two very well defended wooden forts with mainly spearmen. Your economy is easy to get going and it can be thriving very fast as wood is of plenty. This makes the map much more playable, I do feel though that you should be able to build maces and leather armour. Not only do you have to capture two large forts but also hold off huge invasions and get 5000 gold and large amounts of stone! Too hard for me! anyway on to creativity and map design which is where the map really does shine - it is amazing. The forts are brilliant - it is such a skill to be able to fit in three forts on a map without them interfering with each other. The countryside is incredible, some of the finest you will see. Storyline as well very good, and worthy of a five. Good origional idea. So overall this is a must play map but I defiently recommend easy. Brillaint work!
Timballisto
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance5.0
Creativity4.5
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4.5
This map will do a good job of keeping you busy.

Played on very hard, the economic goals are quite substantial. What's more, there is a loss timer, and two fairly substantial invasions, one of which is not too long before the time expires.

The keep area is very easy to defend, while your town area is very exposed and difficult to keep enemies out of. Most of your success will lie in figuring out how to keep this area operating uninterrupted, as well making efficient use of its space.

Additionally, the two enemy castles need to be cleared, and they're not exactly lacking in archers. The infantry inside are largely inconsequential though, as most of them seem to be set to stand ground. Regardless, when and how to deal with these things are questions requiring real thought.

Taken together, these things make the scenario fairly exciting and fun to figure out.

One minor annoyance is that the large amount of stone required means that you will have to lay out a lot of what ends up being useless stockpile space.

Balance: 5
It took approximately four-ish attempts to win this on very hard, and I was not frustrated by that point. When I did win, it was quite satisfying, I met the goals very early and had a large army.

Creativity: 4.5
I appreciate the multiple wooden castle aspect of this scenario, as well as the fact that they harbor resources which you need to win. Also the limited quantity of macemen and even a few swordsmen was a nice touch, and economic goals that are actually coupled with a loss timer, invasions, and a conquest victory condition at the same time is rare, and it does a good job of making the scenario actually compelling.

Map Design: 4
The map is well made. I'm not sure how I feel about the marsh area, or the odd assortment of bad things outside of the red castle, but generally the map looks good, and it's designed well from the standpoint of segmenting the space on the map in an interesting manner. The castles especially are well designed and have their own unique character.

Story/Instructions: 5
There was obviously a lot of effort put into the story. I'm not sure that I felt like I was really in the story in this case, but, still, it's good xD

Additional Comments:
Good map! Try it out. It's nice for building a large economy in a limited space. Although there are potentially viable defensive configurations I didn't try that could expand that space as well, so, even more fun to be had!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.8
Balance4.5
Creativity4.8