Author File Description
Lord Dredde
File Details
Map Size: Large
Number of Missions: three
Difficulty: Normal
Made with version: 1.4.1
Minimap:
Hello and welcome to the third part of my fantasy saga.

UPDATE- i have changed the win conditions for missions two and three so you have more of a challenge.

This episode is entitled 'the rune of wisdom'
You find yourself in a remote corner of King Borens' realm and with limited resources,but fear not you can trade certain goods with the merchants back in the capital Kerval.

There are three missions to this standalone chapter(i have put two maps into the file so you can see the original version and compare both maps).Mission one sees you capturing several estates from King Boren(lord barclay-just to recap),but he will send troops to attack you as you take more of his land for your own,as for civic events there are a few to deal with,but if you invite a travelling fair(great how they turn up,even in a remote place!)you can keep your popularity high.

Mission two,you face two attacks in a last attempt from King Boren(IMPORTANT - do not try to kill him until they stop as it will ruin the game mission as this is a 'cede' scenario and you'll end up with an invasion you cant get rid of-i refer to chapter 6* when william takes control of your keep as an example).This is the first time i've used the 'take enemy castle' event in SH2 and the transition seems fairly smooth,and i have also used 'turn estate to village'for your old keep(just works easier*)There will be several attacks from the mad lord Tostig (olaf)and his army,after you take the castle and mission three sees you lord it over your new nation and concludes the scenario.

Ihave added a story to the file,i used word 2003/07 so there shouldnt be a problem this time in reading it.

HINTS

(1)Take time to build up your army before you go out capturing estates-the one nearest to you sees several invasions pass through on their way to your keep and you will have to continually fight and recapture it (2) place wells as spies set fire to your buildings.
(2) berserkers,axe throwers and outlaws are avaliable at the mercenary post,they may cost a bit,but are very useful! (3)to produce macemen ,capture the nearest estate for iron.
Enjoy the scenario!

As you can see from these images,(1)barclay does send his army when you steal his estates(2)*your castle/village reverts to an estate and (3)olaf does attack soon after killing barclay,he really does want his gold!

ps- if you kill barclay before killing the troops percentage first you will lose,as you will have *no castle and your lord dies event is triggered.
And a screenshot from my latest project for legends-'curse of the lycan'

COMING SOON-chapter4-'The quest of King Alaric'

Lord Dredde
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
TwoDie Why there are mission condition kill olaf 85% troops and 95%... When in this map arent Olafs troops, at all there nothing are what could associate with Olaf!
Doomsword
Staff
It says Olaf will show up.

[Edited on 05/15/09 @ 07:43 AM]

Lord Dredde
File Author
What's not to understand in mission two?

(1) kill Boren(barclay) and your old estate converts to a village (2)kill 80% barclay's troops and you 'cede' /capture/take control of his castle.
(3)Tostig(Olaf) will attack in revenge as his former employer is dead and cant pay him his gold (4) kill 85% Tostig's troops and you win the mission(and get the required population). ;)

LD
Odyss Good morning, LD!

M1 = much fun. However, in M2 & M3 you have Olaf losing % troops as victory conditions. So, since there are none of Olaf's men on the map at the time, instant victory is the result. Did you mean to say Barclay instead?

Later . . .

Odyss
Lord Dredde
File Author
Hi Odyss.
regarding mission 2(after killing barclay and taking control of his keep) Olaf will attack,i know it's scripted as o months which is why i had the population requirement added,which worked fine during playtesting(about 7 times to look for bugs)initially i had the victory conditions set much later,but as in other maps(not just mine)most win conditions are set at o months with other events attached,say 200 meat/wool/iron etc-example-crusaders' 'holiday in the sun'there are others i can think of but i cant remember them all.

cheers

LD

Has anyone actually read the mission requests?

[Edited on 05/15/09 @ 03:21 PM]

Lord Dredde
File Author
for the images please refer to main article.

regards
LD

[Edited on 05/15/09 @ 05:13 PM]

Odyss Thanks for the reply, LD!

My other problem was that I already was way past the population requirements when M2 began. I suppose that I could just go into the game-save scripting and change that number to something suitably higher or remove the condition altogether. If I did the latter, I would probably have to insert a neutral Olaf invasion at the end of M1 . . . or I could just give him the far estate and make him neutral until Barclay's demise.

Whatever the case, if the rest of the scenario plays as well as M1, a good time will be had by all.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your maps . . .

Odyss

[Edited on 05/15/09 @ 03:58 PM]

Lord Dredde
File Author
Hello Odyss good to hear from you,glad you're enjoying the scenario.
I've managed to add some screenies so everyone can see what happens in the three missions.

cheers

LD
Odyss Hello again, LD . . .

Well, I finally got through the map! I downloaded the revised version and began anew. A quick question: in M2 did you intend the ceding to result from 80% of ALL troops dead or just Barclay's?

While I enjoyed the whole scenario, M2 & M3 didn't progress as smoothly for me as M1 (or as well as most of the other maps you've given us). I seemed to spend a lot of effort trying not to lose by triggering some complicated and unforeseen interaction of win conditions.

However, on the positive side: beautiful terrain, dangerous invasions (though, perhaps a bit predictable) and great storyline to follow.

What's next on the horizon?

Odyss
Lord Dredde
File Author
Greetings Odyss,glad to hear you had fun with this scenario.

Regarding mission two- i intended for barclay to lose 80% as the 'cede' event as the editor doesnt compensate for a win date set at 0 months as in SH1 and crusader,where you can have the keep enclosed etc plus it has been a while since i've used the SH2 editor(still my favourite when it comes to landscape design).

Yes some of the events in the revised edition were a bit sneaky but that was the intention and a reference to the map name(albeit tongue in cheek)and i upped the stakes with the invasions,but with forward planning and a lot of axe throwers on the inner wall as they say,quote''No problem"unquote- i'd like to see them return in a new game along with a few other characters.

To answer your question of what's next,well scenario 4 and 5 will be ready soon,and there is an invasion from somewhere that i've not seen used in maps(you'll have to wait and see).

After that i'm returning to my legends project 'the curse of the lycan'-working on a few ideas there too,then after that i'm finishing maps for SH1/crusader,so maybe next year i'll be submitting a few SH2 maps(unless a new stronghold game comes out!

A final note on the rune series,i'm afraid after this scenario and the next'the quest of king alaric' that it maybe something of an anti-climax,so i might submit three versions and let everyone guess which is the real ending.At least with legends you can spawn an invasion from the stone circle or anywhere on the map.how about'zombies' from the swamp? a bit like the film 'army of darkness' with bruce campbell.

regards

Lord Dredde

[Edited on 05/18/09 @ 07:29 PM]

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics