Author File Description
Ouly
File Details
Map Size: Large
Number of Missions: 1
Difficulty: Normal
Made with version: 1.4.1
Minimap:
As Heir to the throne, the King has tasked you with saving the villagers and helping the local monks of a nearby valley that has suffered terrible flooding after the Spring melt. Farmland is flooded, bridges destroyed and the monastery has collapsed from heavy snows during the winter. Bandits prey on the villagers and there is word of Barbarians in the area. Lord Barclay, the local Lord of the valley has forsaken his charges and is ignoring their plight. The King believes this to be the perfect opportunity to test the worthiness of his heir to succeed him on the throne and to rid himself of an annoying and powerful local Lord. This will be your first taste of command.

The accompanying readme explains more and must be read before playing.

As a bonus, I've also included an AI castle pack that replaces the castles that AI's use in Kingmaker mode. Each AI will now have at least 3 designs to use. These castles are tougher, better defended, and typically more efficient and dangerous. I know you'll enjoy the added variety and challenge these castles offer. If you so choose, you do not need to install the AI castle pack. Only 1 AI footprint needs to be replaced to fix the castle that Barclay uses in my scenario.(It originally had a hole in the inner wall allowing you to bypass the inner gate) You may even find yourself enjoying the AI castle pack more than this scenario. :)
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
boyzie There doesn't seem any way for the monks to get to our castle.Am I missing something here?
Thanks.
Ouly
File Author
All the monks get their stone from the estate directly in front of your starting position.(the closest to your keep) They can't start work until you repair the flood damage giving them access to that estate.
boyzie Ok sorry didn't know you could get your troops round there.
Thanks
Chaoticstrom Chaos and Greetings be with you OULY! ;d

I see this eye-grizzling map and the true flood waters behind it! Aha!

Smart, but smooth scenario with an idea I haven't found in any other maps thus far!

Chaoticstrom rated it 4 out of 5! Haha
Sir_Vet Hi Ouly, congrats on getting your map posted.

Your idea of flooding the valley and having the player fill it back in again is new and fun, great stuff, enough enemies to keep you on your toes and the bonus of a nice looking map.

As you know, I've had some serious virus problems, putting me way behind in my projects, I hope to have a chance to play your final version and check out the new AI castles.

Hope to see more from you.

Sir_Vet
Odyss Hello, Ouly . . .

Unique idea to put into a map--very nice! I had a great time with the whole thing but probably enjoyed the complexities of M1 better than the mostly straightforward assault on Barclay.

In M1 you almost caught me off-guard with the first of Olaf's (or barbarians?) invasions from . . . . Fortunately, I tend to be fairly cautious and don't usually put all my eggs (aka "troops") in one basket. And, with carefully-placed soldiers, my bacon was saved. Hmmm . . . bacon & eggs--I think I'm getting hungry. But what about the biscuits & hashbrowns?

Good job, too, with Barclay's improved castle design. Still, AI still has a hard time keeping you from raiding its refrigerator, and most assaults are somewhat anti-climactic, usually being no more than icing on the preceding missions' cake. The counterattacks helped keep M2 from being too much of a cakewalk (I sense a theme developing . . .).

Criticisms? None really, but your creative use of the moat feature necessarily meant that there would be an abundance of arable land. Lots of land = lots of crops, resources and Twinkies = lots of GP. Then in M2, lots of GP + all troop types available + ability to buy all weapons = dessert is served (easy endgame).

Thanks again!

Odyss

Ouly
File Author
Thank you all for your comments!

Most kind Chaoticstrom. (strom?) HaHa

I hope you've got things all safe and secure now SV and it's good to see you back. I'm working on my next right now.

You're absolutely right Odyss. The first half is better than the second. There was no way to limit building space in the villages with all that moat. I never even bothered to develop them much, just the closest estate.

I don't think raiding Barclay's resources bothers him too much. I suspect he has a lot in storage by the time you get to his estates or mines. Most of the challenge in the second half comes from the invasions anyway.

I could have kept you under almost constant attack but thought it might be too much for a normal rating. At least I didn't give you trebuchet! I think I scripted 8 invasions for Barclay. Each larger than the previous but with an ever increasing pause between them. The pauses may have been too large too early.

The real problem with this map is the long march Barclay's troops need to make to get to your castle. Far too long and this gave me real headaches. By this time I had invested too much time and effort into the map so I did the best I could. I won't make that mistake again.

I'm glad you all liked the idea though. I was reasonably satisfied with my first design in 8 years. I can promise it won't be another 8 before my next. :)

[Edited on 05/22/09 @ 08:36 PM]

Lord Dredde Hi Ouly. Great map you've got here.

LD
Ouly
File Author
Thanks LD.
nickeal1 how do you get the castle pack to work?
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:1,090
Favorites: [Who?]2
Size:1.09 MB