grant1977
File Details
Map Size: Large
Number of Missions: 1
Difficulty: Very Hard
Made with version: 1.4.1
Minimap:
Hello,

Castle Grant is a Siege map, one where YOU are the siege engineer, and MUST take Castle Grant before a Large Enemy army comes to relieve it.

There are ALOT of units on this map and some systems will not be able to play this map. I tried to make the map look nice, but I am no Artist.

This map has alot of replay value and you may need to give it a few times before taking the castle. The Castle can be taken, I have done it many times.

There are also Several ways to take this castle, so more than one strategy is possible. I suggest taking the castle as soon as possible because you will not be able to stop the invading army without taking the castle.

This map is a learning map, the more you play and lose, the more you will learn what to do to take the castle.

I hope you enjoy this map it is worth playing and the castle is very well built, I do believe that the old tricks wont work with the castle. I also suggest NOT doing a rush with all your men, they will all die.

Grant

If you review this map, please keep in mind its a siege map and designed for castle design, more than artistic map design.

V2 This version has some nice changes to the map and Castle also this map was redesigned based on the 1.41 patch Firefly released which made using wood walls as dividers impossible.

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
grant1977
File Author
Anyone able to play the map yet? Or able to take the castle as of yet?

Thanks,

Grant

Any FF guys download this map yet? lol
zobicus I enjoyed playing this map; however twice it has crashed on me, when I get through the first wall and I think it is either an event getting triggered or else just the fact that I come into range of archers/x-bowmen stationed on the 2nd wall, is too much for my computer.

I have a 3.2GHz running on lowest settings. But I have had problems with a couple other maps also.

Besides the problem of crashes the map looks good and I wish I could finish a game to give a real review for you.

Try my map Olaf's Fortress if you get a chance.
grant1977
File Author
Its the PC, alot is going on and alot of systems wont be able to handle it. I WISH WE HAD ALL THIS NICE STUFF in a SHC format that would be played on Lowend PCs. lol

Grant
Rank Outsider Excellent map!

The map was very dynamic leaving you with many options as to how to siege the enemy castle, as well as side missions that enabled you to acquire additional troops.

On first inspection I noticed how the front and rear wall sections were separated by a simple wooden wall, this would mean I could not simply run my melee troops straight into the main castle.

I also noticed the wooden gate entrance at the rear of the castle, this made a lot of sense when I received 200 Pictish boat warriors for defeating Olaf. I especially enjoyed being able to produce siege engineers and have a small settlement, this certainly added to the variety of the map.

The choice I made was to take down towers and gatehouses that caused me concern, using the simple trebuchet and tunnelling attacks. This was followed by a shielded archers attack to clear walls and take enemy fire.

Meanwhile clear sections would be stormed by light infantry climbing up ladders to clear the walls. Now the inner castle was a much more difficult fight which consisted of a two pronged attack.

After initially breaking a hole in the front wall and clearing defences, I proceeded with an infantry charge from both the front and the rear of the castle using the boat warriors.

Unfortunately all these hundreds of troops fighting each other did not seem favourable to my system, at the peak of this battle my system crashed. I was however winning and had saved plenty of missile troops to defend the castle from any further attacks. It would have been very interesting to see the second part of this map. ;-)

grant1977
File Author
New version guys and gals with more features and optimized for the 1.41 patch.

Grant

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:1,167
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:799.44 KB