Download File Post Review Post Comment

SH2 AI Castle Update v1.0

Author File Description
Doomsword
File Details
Used with: Stronghold 2
Preview:
Les Grand Châteaux de l'intelligence Artificielle

First, I must thank HicRic and LordBritian of Stronghold Knights for their great and triumphant success creating an .aic file editor that even Firefly links to. Without them, none of this would be possible. Get the editor here.

I also would like to thank Ouly of SHH for his indispensable tinkering. Together we figured out through tedious trial and error, much of how the game reacts to changes made in the .aic files. See this thread here to learn about .aic files.

Here are new castle layouts for every Lord in the game. Every AI Lord gets at least two new castles. The redesigned plans are meant to make the estates run more efficiently and increase overall defense (especially versus Laddermen). There are 37 new files. Only one is an original Firefly layout, the Queen's castle has had the Engineers Guild placement fixed and thicker walls. Three designs have been used for more than one lord, but that still leaves 33 new castles! These will install leaving many of the original AI castles, but overwriting a few.

All of the tiniest default castles have also been replaced, there are five of them. Four tiny_stone.aic defaults for use when there is not enough space to develop a normal design from a Lord and an additional smallest possible castle, keep_only_stone.aic, for if the four tiny defaults will not fit. As with the original files, the tiny_stone defaults do not have a Mercenary Tent, except for the first two, so some lords that depend on mercenaries will be weak. Additionally omitted from the keep_only.aic file is the Lords Kitchen, as in the original file.

The original tiny_stone defaults had defensive problems, such as stairs from the outside leading up to the top of the walls. These problems have been corrected. Great Britain is now a somewhat playable map.

Some lords develop very slowly early in Freeman games because of poor Royal Foods available. I have given almost all the lords Dovecotes, those free standing birdhouses that produce one Honor per month. You will need to accumulate Honor quickly early on in order to keep up. The improved efficiency of these layouts means the AI builds troops faster also. The King will even attack with his feeble army, ever seen that in a Kingmaker? All in all, with these files the game is more challenging. Hope you find them enjoyable.

-Doomsword

Known bugs:

Sometimes the game will rotate an entire layout to fit, this will mess with the moats and sometimes they will not fill in perfectly. As long as they were still blocking laddermen it will have to be alright.

Sometimes when the design gets turned the troop gathering points are off and some archers might gather below a Keep or tower instead of on it. Can't win 'em all I suppose.

Oil Engineers. When you start off at the top rank in a Kingmaker game, oil engineers can become trapped in hovels as they are recruited. At lower rank levels the villagers usually make it at least part of the way to the campfire before they are made into troops.

Buildings built in the way. On small estates sometime the AI will build in the way of the castle plan. Not much can be done except switch some lords starting estates around or start from a higher rank so they build faster.

Installation:
Open the folder 'Firefly Studios/Stronghold 2' and make a back-up copy of the folder 'castles'. Download the zipfile and un-zip to 'Firefly Studios/Stronghold 2/castles. Answer 'Yes to All' when it alerts you that you will be overwriting files. Done.

Any comments, thoughts or suggestions on these castles are welcome below. General how-to questions belong in the .aic thread in the Foums.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
WL_D Alexus Great, I've been working on a Kingmaker map and was then going to create some more challenging AI's. So I was happy to come across this. :)

Can't wait to see them in action.
Duke of Deechlay Havnt used it yet. Looks fantastic! *downloads as soon as he gets home*
BlazeHUN Faved it. When I get SH2, what is planned about 3 months ago. I dowload this as first. :D
BlazeHUN What I hate most: When we start as freeman and AI lords build stone castle about 5 sec ago the game has started... Maybe they should start as freeman also cause its irritating a bit :D
Otherwise I like those castles... looks cool.
Doomsword
Staff
File Author
Thanks Blaze!

The AI does start as freeman, they can't build a lords Kitchen or an armory until they advance. They only get to cheat with walls and traps.
MrTheKing77
Rating
Rating: 4
(All castle good but you make castle boring they only Ai make fast resources this is big+ but make castles to look real good defense normal... )

Additional Comments:Anyway still you make they good you was can add to lord more castles.
aqualord123 i like this AI update, it really challenges me to learn the basics of mass porducing axethrowers, to mass producing knights, in only a mater of days, thankyou so much for this update...

but it can be challenging becuase my strategy in games is kinda stupid, its to make tons of beresekers or knights, and just make a random breach, and just rush in tons of troops, even though half of them die now becuase of all the ballistaes you gave to the AIs :( EDIT: beware, i dont do this in multiplayer though :D

oh and doomsword, i think you should look more into the AIs starting as freemen, cuz when i played the king, he automatically placed an armory when the game like, just started XDDDDDD

But thats more fun i think :D

and doomsword, do you mean great britian is now more playable, or less playable? cuz it always seemed playable to me... but i want to be sure before i do my next kingmaker there

kk doomsowrd, any way that ballista made me mad a couple times becuase when your at a map with water, when a knight gets hit by ballista hes dead,lol so it was very challenging
i also added this mod as my favorite becuase its the only fun and working collection of mods that I can figure out how to work :D

[Edited on 08/17/10 @ 10:54 AM]

Doomsword
Staff
File Author
[MRT] I don't think you fully appreciate the amount of work that went into this. Your first review you submitted barely an hour after the file was posted which shows how little you have actually playtested the stuff.

The form of the castles is dictated by function first and foremost, aesthetics being the secondary consideration. I did not add anything that would detract from the defense of the designs in favor of a more interesting shape.
Doomsword
Staff
File Author
Auqa, thats not a 'stupid' strategy, it's how you have to play the game. Everyone has a couple favorite troops they mass and attack with through whatever random breach can be taken advantage of.

I think the King cheats more than the others, he is after all King. He wouldn't place a large Gatehouse early though but would complete his Moat, locking his villagers in and halting his economy, lol. His assaulting capabilities are worthless though so he's never a threat.

Great Britain I never considered playable because you could walk right in to most of the old tiny_default castles that would build. You could march Swordsmen and Knights right up stairs and into any castle and kill the lord.

It takes a lot more troop to take these new castles. I think the ballista are overpowered and have too long of a firing range, but I added them anyhow 'cause their dangerous.

aqualord123
Rating
Rating: 4.5
(Ok this was an AMAZING MOD, but I am sorry to take .5 off becuase of the fact that the queen was ultimately given more then you can imagine when she has the space, which made games difficult for sieging and defending, the main problem about this mod was balance becuase some people you REALLY IMPROVED while others were slightly improved)

Additional Comments:
I LOVED THIS MOD :D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D
but next time try to make the amount of power one gets equal, for example the queen became more powerful then sir william and almost as powerful as the hammer
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:6,380
Favorites: [Who?]15