Author File Description
Lopat
File Details
Number of Missions: 3
Difficulty: Normal
Minimap:
DUTCH REVOLT

*UPDATE 2 juli, problem with to much fires and a large force to attack updated*

You, William of Orange will be the main leader of the Dutch revolt against the Spanish.
In earlier days William served the court of the Spanish regent Charles V.

But round the early 1560's the Spanish domination over the Low Countries is becoming more and more aggressive. William was also dissatisfied with the increasing persecution of Protestants in the Netherlands. Although he was brought up as both a Lutheran and Catholic, William was not a very religious person, and a proponent of freedom of religion.

Juli 1565 there is a shortage of wheat and the people are becoming restless.

Following the Beeldenstorm, unrest in the Netherlands grew, and Margaret agreed to grant the wishes of the Confederacy, provided the noblemen would help to restore order. She also allowed more important noblemen, including William of Orange, to assist the Confederacy. In late 1566, and early 1567, it became clear that the regent would not fulfil her promises, and when several minor rebellions failed, many Calvinists (the major Protestant denomination) and Lutherans fled the country. Following the announcement that Philip II, unhappy with the situation in the Netherlands, would dispatch his loyal general Fernando Álvarez de Toledo, Duke of Alva (also known as "The Iron Duke" in our game we will call him “The Bull”) to restore order, William retreated to his native Nassau. He had been (financially) involved with several of the rebels.

After his arrival in August 1567, Alva established the Council of Troubles (known to the people as the Council of Blood) to trial those involved with the rebellion and the iconoclasm. William was one of the 10,000 to be summoned before the Council, but he failed to appear. He was subsequently declared an outlaw, and his properties were confiscated.

As one of the most prominent and popular politicians of the Netherlands, William of Orange emerged as the leader of an armed resistance. He financed the Watergeuzen (they will come to help you), refugee Protestants who formed bands of corsairs and raided the coastal cities of the Netherlands (often killing Spanish and Dutch alike). He also raised an army, consisting mostly of German mercenaries to fight Alva on land. Led by his brother Louis, the army invaded the northern Netherlands in 1568. On 23 May, the army won the Battle of Heiligerlee against a Spanish army led by the stadtholder of the northern provinces, Jean de Ligne, Duke of Aremberg. Aremberg was killed in the battle, as was William's brother Adolf. Alva countered by killing a number of convicted noblemen (including the Dukes of Egmont and Hoorn on 6 June), and then by leading an expedition to Groningen. There, he annihilated Louis's forces in the Battle of Jemmingen on 21 July, although Louis managed to escape. These two battles are now considered to be the start of the Eighty Years' War.

William responded by leading a large army into Brabant, but Alva carefully avoided a confrontation, expecting the army to fall apart quickly. He proved to be right, as William lacked the money to support the army. He made several more plans to invade in the next few years, but little came of it, lacking support and money. William remained popular with the public, partially through an extensive propaganda campaign through pamphlets. One of his most important claims, with which he attempted to justify his actions, was that he was not fighting the rightful owner of the land, the Spanish king, but only the inadequate rule of the foreign regents in the Netherlands, and the presence of foreign soldiers.

On 1 April 1572 a band of Watergeuzen captured the city of Brielle, which had been left unattended by the Spanish garrison. Contrary to their normal "hit and run" tactics, they occupied the town and claimed it for the prince. This event was followed by other cities in opening their gates for the Watergeuzen, and soon most cities in Holland and Zeeland were in the hands of the rebels.

Concurrently, rebel armies captured cities throughout the entire country, from Deventer to Mons. After a successful Spanish attack on his army, William had to flee and he retreated to Enkhuizen, in Holland. The Spanish then organised countermeasures, and sacked several rebel cities, sometimes massacring their inhabitants, such as in Mechelen or Zutphen. They had more trouble with the cities in Holland, where they took Haarlem after seven months and a loss of 8,000 soldiers, and they had to give up their siege of Alkmaar.

In 1574, William's armies won several minor battles, including several naval encounters. The Spanish, now lead by Don Luis de Zúñiga y Requesens who succeeded Alva in 1573, also had their successes, and their decisive victory in the Battle of Mookerheyde on 14 April cost the lives of two of William's brothers, Louis and Henry. Requesens's armies also besieged the city of Leiden. They broke up their siege when nearby dykes were cut by the Dutch. William was very content with the victory, and established the University of Leiden, the first university in the country.
After failed peace negotiations in Breda in 1575, the war lingered on. Things looked bright for the rebels when Don Requesens died unexpectedly in early 1576, and a large group of Spanish soldiers, not having received their salary in months, deserted. While the new regent, Don John of Austria, arrived, William of Orange managed to have most of the provinces and cities sign the Pacification of Ghent, in which they declared to fight for the expulsion of Spanish troops together.

Five northern provinces, later followed by most cities in Brabant and Flanders, then signed the Union of Utrecht on 23 January, confirming their unity. William was initially opposed to the Union, as he still hoped to unite all provinces. Nevertheless, he formally gave his support on 3 May. The Union of Utrecht would later become a de facto constitution, and would remain the only formal connection between the Dutch provinces until 1795.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_I_of_Orange

TIPS:
· Attack but don’t forget to defend!
· Be sure you build your defences well
· Don’t wait to long with killing in the first mission

NOTES:
· I want to make more maps, like this, in the Netherlands, but im not sure about the looks of the map.. Netherlands means ‘low country’ that’s why the map is so flat
· Give me your thoughts about the balance
· The years are totally wrong :-) In the story above they even had GUNS!
· The above story is the plotline for all 3 maps. So don’t read them to carefull :-)
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Lopat
File Author
Wow, its time for v1.1 I guess...

800 man... :|

Are you sure?

Will upload a fix

Additional comment:
I dont hate you

The file is updated with version v1.1
The time of the final invasion is set more back
not all buildings will gets fire :)

Playball

[Edited on 07/02/05 @ 02:46 AM]

Zao Gao ok, not 800, but it might as well have been as it was such a large number I didnt have a chance anyway.
For some constructive critisism, I think the last mission needs fixing as it doesn't seem to have a point, and even after I killed the Bull the game did not end. Overall it was actually pretty fun, I was just frusterated when I wrote the last review. But yeah, make more. Good job.
Lopat
File Author
Thanks Zao Gao..
This is my first map....

Sorry for the frustration ppl... :'(

Guess I didn't play test it well enough...

A new map is coming up :)

It will tell the part of the story that william will be assasinated.... :p
Gordon Farrell I'm confused. The log line says it's been updated... has it?
Lopat
File Author
Yes Gordon, v1.1 less attackers.. and not all buildings in fire
Merepatra Zao Zao's review of this map has been removed as it didn't meet our requirements of "Comments can be brief but should be constructive and not insulting, and profanity of any kind is strictly prohibited. Reviews with scores should be written according to the guidelines below and as minimum there should be a brief reason given for each score."

Anyone unsure of the standards required for reviews should read our Stronghold Review Guide at http://stronghold2.heavengames.com/dl/guide thanks
bad sir I love it, because im Dutch myself, so I know what this war was about. the only thing is that I dont understand who is who..... is red dutch or spanish? Who is blue? and Orange?

Further are no bad comments..... ITS AWESOME!!!
Ive got a request, can you maybe make a map of the caribean? with all the isles, like Cuna and Jamaica.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:844
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:408.19 KB
Added:06/27/05