Please login or register

Game Discussion
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Windows Vista/7 color glitch fix
posted 06-16-12 01:57 PM EDT (US)   
If you're like most users, when you run SWGB on Windows Vista or Windows 7, the colors will look like a crazy rainbow acid trip. Here is the best fix to date for that problem:

http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=11108

It fixes Age of Kings, but also works for SWGB.

C hairman of the FMT, Mectator, and Seraph
r esident of Unity RPG, Anti-Heroes, and Indolents
a seraph at SWGBH and EAWH
z apping spammers and stealing their shoes
e w o k "Don't waste your breath trying to figure out my logic" - Seacker
d ependent on daily tea infusions
Replies:
posted 05-01-14 01:33 AM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
Please help I have tried every fix on this site and ithis is what i see

I am running Win7 64bit with a AMD Radeon Graphics Card
posted 05-01-14 04:23 AM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
Did you try the fix linked to above? It's not on this site, technically, so you may have missed it. You could perhaps try running it in XP compatibility mode.

Also, is there any word on if this fix works on Windows 8?

I love China, I love Japan, I love Vietnam. (I'm very fun in island dispute discussions.)
Take everything I say with a bucket of salt.
Perpetually hungry and searching for cheese and pineapples.
posted 05-01-14 06:58 AM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
I don't remember using a fix at all on Windows 8 and it runs fine. So there is a way, just not sure which one, or even if it just runs fine without one. Not much help... sorry.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
posted 05-01-14 02:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
I have tried the AOE pacth with no luck, I have also tried using Virtual PC XP Mode and i get a Direct Draw error that stops the game from launching.

any ideas welcome
posted 05-07-14 10:00 AM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
I solved that problem by making a VirtualBox VM of Windows NT 4 and SWGB runs fine on that OS.

Oddly enough though, the Expanding Fronts beta doesn't seem to want to run on NT4.
posted 05-07-14 10:13 AM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
Does the EF Beta run without the VB, on your actual OS? If not, what seems to be the problem?

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

posted 05-07-14 12:17 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
So I installed the VB6 SP6 Runtime, then I tried to start the game...

I get this error, but after clicking 'OK' the game proceeds to run anyway.
posted 05-07-14 12:29 PM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
I don't know what that means. :s Does it give you any problems when it runs? Any kind at all?

posted 05-07-14 12:36 PM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
Well I don't seem to be getting any in-game problems so far. But that error box was only strange in the fact that despite it not finding that 'DecodePointer' entry point in kernel32.dll, the game runs just fine anyway.

Needless to say, AoE & RoR, AoK & Conquerors, & SWGB & Clone Campaigns & this Expanding Fronts beta (VB6 SP6 for EF), all run just fine on Windows NT 4 without any issues in color or function.
posted 05-07-14 12:47 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
Fair enough then. It's a bit odd, but if it works that's great. Still, I'm sure there must be some way to fix the colour glitches without having to use a VM, but at least you know that this works!

posted 05-07-14 05:07 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
I usually kill Explorer.exe before launching the game in Windows 7. That always used to work.
posted 05-09-14 08:37 AM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
How much RAM is the virtual computer running? You'll need more for Expanding Fronts than the base minimum recommended by the program. It might be one of the contributing factors for the error.

John Rambo
_|_
|

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?”
― T.S. Eliot
posted 05-11-14 07:06 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
512 MB of RAM for the virtual machine. And that's no problem for a laptop that has 4 GB of RAM.
posted 06-17-14 12:51 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
Hello, this is my first time posting on this site and I only do so as my situation is dire in deed.
I have tried every fix you can name, and I still can't get SWGB to run without the color issue. Here is what I have tried

1.) Run in compatibility mode, tried all versions of windows, checked all boxes one at a time and all at once.
2.) Manually killing explorer before launch and after launch
3.) .bat file, pretty much the same as #2
4.) Opening screen resolution and launching game
5.) Directdraw application to change registry
6.) Tried all of the above options at once

the only thing that seems to work is launching a multiplayer match through Gameranger but this limits me to playing only when friends are willing to play.
I have Windows 7 64 bit, I have all about given up after days of trying everything I could and searching all over the net. This is by far one of my favorite games of all time and I can't believe I can't play it anymore. Any help would be very much appreciated.
posted 06-17-14 07:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17  
Cool. So, what is the problem that you're dealing with exactly? I see the fixes you've tried, thanks for that. Is it just a color problem, or a crash?

John Rambo
_|_
|

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?”
― T.S. Eliot
posted 03-06-15 12:06 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
| have the same problem, initial game window with storm trooper pics and play game and options buttons display beautifully, but as soon as I click play game and the opening full screen opens it looks like 98% reddish brown haze almost no white and text unreadable.

Funny thing though, when I took a snapshot with the .exe run as admin although the onscreen image remained the same the snapshot sees it clearly, when run NOT in admin mode it gives exactly the same image as the other poster uploaded, strangely in black and white even though what I see is predominately red.

I too have tried all compatibility modes and options and the fix direct draw fix, and the kill explorer.exe the damn graphics are always the same. Please does anyone have a fix?

I've tried GOG who sold me the game but they're no help at all.
I have win 7 home + AMD graphics and dual core, far better specs than the game is supposed to require.

Also it's all well and good saying it could be run in a box emulating NT4 but for the less techy types that's useless without instruction on how to do so.

Someone please help.
Many thanks in advance.
thanks,
Alex
posted 10-04-15 09:07 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
I just wanted to report that this fixed that whacky color trip. Thanks for this fix!
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Game Discussion » Windows Vista/7 color glitch fix
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: