You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modpack Discussion
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Mod Installer Troubleshooting (Vista/Seven)
posted 04-09-10 03:54 PM EDT (US)   
If you're running SWGB on Windows Vista or Windows 7 and can't get the mod installer Advanced to work, this thread is for you.
I made a new version of the mod installer (originally created by Ykkrosh), that allows you to enter your SWGB installation directory if the game was not detected automatically (nothing really complicated compared to the core instructions).

Current version : Mod Installer 0.91

This program does not work at all on Windows 95, 98, 2000, it is designed to run on recent operating systems.

If you have ideas of improvements, noticed a bug or face problems using mod installers, don't hesitate to post here.

IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE MOD INSTALLER, please state the following informations :
- mod installer version ;
- operating system (XP, Vista, Seven) ;
- installed modpacks ;
- SWGB installation full path (with EXACT caps, spaces and backslashes);
- SWGB only, SWGB+CC, SWGB Saga ;
- the error number, the error description, and the steps you took to produce said error ;
- if possible, the content of the "mod_installer_log.txt" file (located in the "Game/Data" directory of your SWGB installation path) JUST AFTER getting the error ;

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[This message has been edited by Moff Seedron (edited 05-04-2010 @ 03:44 AM).]

Replies:
posted 04-13-10 03:37 PM EDT (US)     1 / 28  
You refered me to this thread so ill continue my questions in here.
haha... I just debugged the mod installer to see what the modpack contains.
Alright... so im not a complete noob wih computers but I dont quite understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that you changed your modinstaller so that you can see the contents of MPI's or do I do that some othe way. I have see a lot of mods in the downloads section that are just modifications of other people's mods, so i know its possible to access the content of MPI's.

Lover Of Fambaas
posted 04-14-10 02:47 AM EDT (US)     2 / 28  
Actually, those guys just installed the MPI and then ripped its graphics/icons using the DRS Viewer/Extractor. They don't know anything about the way the MPI was built, they could only get the graphics from the modified DRS.
Do you understand the trick ?

posted 05-01-10 02:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 28  
Hey,
I'm a newbie here, And I just bought Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: The Clone Campaigns...

After beating the whole game in a day, After a week, I got bored and searched for mods...

After several attempts to install the Mod-Installer to my (Windows Vista) computer, I finally got it.

After a few mods, My Installer got an error saying:
"Run-Time Error 9, Subscript out of range."

Help?

Oh yeah, It also say CC can not be Found.

Thanks in advance,
~Echo

~Sticky this Thread!!!~

"They don't know why we do this, They never do... They just call us War-Junkies and Blood-Thirsty animals... But that's because they don't understand, We fight for Peace, Harmony and Justice... That's why we fight."

"For the Republic, And the Rebel Alliance!"

"Do NOT click my Website Link!"
posted 05-01-10 02:31 PM EDT (US)     4 / 28  
Ok. You have to be more precise :
- Mod Installer version ;
- Windows Vista 32 bit or 64 bit ;
- Mods already installed before getting the error ;
- If the error occurs when installing or uninstalling mods ;
- What says the "mod_installer_log.txt" after getting the error (this file can be found in the "(Drive)>Program Files>LucasArts>Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds>Game>Data" directory.)

[This message has been edited by Moff Seedron (edited 05-01-2010 @ 02:33 PM).]

posted 05-01-10 05:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 28  
Oh, Sorry.
I'm using ModInstallerAdv.Exe
I'm also using a 32-Bit Laptop.
I got uh.... 13 Mods.

The Bacta Tank Mod
The Forest Rocks V2 Mod
The GE New Stormtrooper Mod
The GE Security Officer Mod
The GE Stuff Pack - (In-Complete)
The GE Capital Ship Mod
The IG Lancer Droid Mod
The Imperial Navy Trooper FV Mod
The Jedi Force Powers Mod
The Jedi Padawan Lightsaber Mod
The Mustafarian Bridge Mod
The OOM-9 (AAT) (Yellow) Mod
The Pummel Garrison Mod

And A mod that I forgot the name... It makes you able to garrison Units into all of your buildings. It did not use ModInstallerAdv Though.

2:11:47 PM :: Opening mod log file
2:11:47 PM :: Reading log

"They don't know why we do this, They never do... They just call us War-Junkies and Blood-Thirsty animals... But that's because they don't understand, We fight for Peace, Harmony and Justice... That's why we fight."

posted 05-02-10 02:44 AM EDT (US)     6 / 28  
The GE Stuff Pack - (In-Complete)
Does this mean this mod installation was incomplete or is it the mod itself which is incomplete ?
The GE Capital Ship Mod
If the Mod Installer Advanced has not found CC, how did you install a mod that replaces air cruisers, only available for CC ?
After a few mods, My Installer got an error saying:
"Run-Time Error 9, Subscript out of range."
When ? When installing or uninstalling a new/existing mod ? And which mod ?
Does this error prevent you from uninstalling all the mods ?
And A mod that I forgot the name... It makes you able to garrison Units into all of your buildings. It did not use ModInstallerAdv Though.
Using simultaneously different mod installer version is not recommended at all !
2:11:47 PM :: Opening mod log file
2:11:47 PM :: Reading log
Yeah, the mod installer Advanced is not very talkative.

posted 05-02-10 10:54 AM EDT (US)     7 / 28  
~The Mod Installation was In-Complete because The Mod Installer did not detect Clone Campaigns.

~It only replaces the Galactic Empire Air Cruiser.

~Installing a new mod, The Mod Installer could get me to Un-Install though, Of course, That was before... This happened. I forgot which mod... I think it's the Pummel Garrison Mod, I'm not sure.

~No, I didn't use another Mod Installer, It just replaced a language_x1.dll file.

~Yeah, I noticed.

So, Should I Re-Install, Or do you have an answer?

posted 05-02-10 11:20 AM EDT (US)     8 / 28  
Should I Re-Install
Reinstall. Next time, avoid keeping "incomplete" mods installed.
Runtime errors can't be explained without the help of the "mod_installer_log.txt" file, unfortunately, the Mod Installer Advanced doesn't bother writing a full report.
Now, it sounds strange the Mod Installer Advanced doesn't detect CC. After the reinstallation, you should try the mod installer 0.91 (link at the top the page) and tell me if it changes something.

[This message has been edited by Moff Seedron (edited 05-02-2010 @ 11:21 AM).]

posted 05-02-10 12:33 PM EDT (US)     9 / 28  
Ok then, Thanks for "Helping"

CC not found, How do I fix it, I have run CC and still it doesn't work.

[This message has been edited by ARC Trooper Echo (edited 05-03-2010 @ 07:16 PM).]

posted 05-04-10 03:27 AM EDT (US)     10 / 28  
CC not found, How do I fix it, I have run CC and still it doesn't work.
It sounds like a system registry issue. I've already noticed sometimes several registry keys are missing after installing SWGB on Vista. The mod installer needs them to detect SWGB and CC.
It seems the only way to fix it is to add the missing keys to your system registry. First, tell me what your SWGB installation full path is (with exact caps and spaces).

posted 05-04-10 02:32 PM EDT (US)     11 / 28  
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga

How do you quote???

[This message has been edited by ARC Trooper Echo (edited 05-04-2010 @ 02:34 PM).]

posted 05-04-10 03:57 PM EDT (US)     12 / 28  
Yay, another Saga user ! Recently, I've helped a user having similar issues on Vista but the registry modifications I gave to him didn't change anything (SWGB was not detected at all). I'm afraid your chances are 50-50. Do you still want to try a registry fix ?

posted 05-04-10 06:19 PM EDT (US)     13 / 28  
Sure, I have have RegStart.exe If I'll need that too, It only detects SWGB, So... I'll go for it.

Oh yeah, How do I quote a post???

posted 05-07-10 09:07 AM EDT (US)     14 / 28  
Oh yeah, How do I quote a post???
Never heard of the BB Code ?

Remember, if the following steps are not properly done, this could mess up your system registry instead of fixing it.

1 - Open the Notepad and copy&paste the text below :

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns\1.0]
"Game Path"="C:\\Program Files\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga\\Game\\"
2 - Save the file as "swgbpath.txt" for example and exit the Notepad. Then change its extention manually into ".reg". So the new file name should be "swgbpath.reg".
3 - Double-click on (run) the file and don't care of the warnings.

[This message has been edited by Moff Seedron (edited 05-07-2010 @ 09:09 AM).]

posted 05-11-10 10:00 AM EDT (US)     15 / 28  
Hi,I've have SWGB and CC installed on my Vista recently and tried to install some mods...I download the modintaller 0.91 and it work ok without error messages,and said the mod was successfully installed...but when I open the editor,every unit icons had become total black,and the unit replaced was invisible(or the game simply crash when I select it)...anybody knows what's happening?plz help...
posted 05-11-10 03:42 PM EDT (US)     16 / 28  
Hi,I've have SWGB and CC installed on my Vista recently and tried to install some mods...I download the modintaller 0.91 and it work ok without error messages,and said the mod was successfully installed...but when I open the editor,every unit icons had become total black,and the unit replaced was invisible(or the game simply crash when I select it)...anybody knows what's happening?plz help...
First, please, tell me (in exact order) the mods you installed.
Secondly, uninstall all the modpacks and check out if the modifications are properly reversed. (if the game runs and looks fine after uninstalling all the modpacks) Then, I will know whether the installer corrupted your game or not.

posted 05-12-10 03:54 AM EDT (US)     17 / 28  
OK, the first mod I installed was darth revan(the one replaced darth vader),and after I found that didn't work, I uninstall it and tried the ep.3 general grievous...and met the same problem,so it uninstalled that one too.The game turned back to normal and runs well after I uninstalled the mods.
posted 05-12-10 07:53 AM EDT (US)     18 / 28  
OK, the first mod I installed was darth revan(the one replaced darth vader),and after I found that didn't work, I uninstall it and tried the ep.3 general grievous...and met the same problem,so it uninstalled that one too.The game turned back to normal and runs well after I uninstalled the mods.
I've reproduced the steps you took to get the problem... but everything was fine on XP and Vista.

First, notice the Darth Revan modpack (made by Commander Deviss) is an incomplete mod (as he said himself in the download page). Thus, you "must" get the incomplete mod error when installing the Darth Revan modpack. However, this error doesn't screw up your game, it just means the mod is not fully installed.
Secondly, the Grievous modpack (made by Andrea Italy) was installed successfully and in-game modifications were done as expected.

So, I have two theories about your issues :
- your Vista is a 64 bit system and this might interfere to some extent with the mod installer (I'm not sure this would happen, but...) ;
- your SWGB was already "corrupted" by previous modifications, make sure installing modpacks on a fresh installed SWGB ;

A few more tips :
- close the mod installer before running SWGB ;
- try other modpacks (Watto mod for exemple) ;
- did you ever tried the mod installer advanced ?
- on a side note, using simultaneously different mod installers is not recommended.

posted 05-12-10 10:34 AM EDT (US)     19 / 28  
Well, my vista is 32 bit. I reinstalled the whole game and tried again, but it still has the same problem(when I tried the watto mod the game can't even start)

I've used the advanced modinstaller twice, first time(before reinstall)it had the same problem as the 0.91 version, the second time(after reinstall)it said SWGBcan't be found.

It seems that I've tried everything but still can't get the mod work Thanks for the help anyway

by the way, my SWGB and CC are not English version, and I (only)had CC patched, does these matters?
posted 05-12-10 11:21 AM EDT (US)     20 / 28  
by the way, my SWGB and CC are not English version, and I (only)had CC patched, does these matters?
This shouldn't be a problem.
I've used the advanced modinstaller twice, first time(before reinstall)it had the same problem as the 0.91 version, the second time(after reinstall)it said SWGBcan't be found.
Funny... did you run once SWGB after the reinstallation before using the mod installer ?
when I tried the watto mod the game can't even start
Really funny... and strange too... please, I would like you to try something : install Watto mod with the mod installer 0.91, and e-mail me the content of the "mod_installer_log.txt" file (located in the "Game/Data" directory of your SWGB installation path). Check out my user profile to get my e-mail adress.

posted 05-13-10 05:24 AM EDT (US)     21 / 28  
I've e-mail you the conents of the mod installer. It seems that it was the modified language.dll file that stop the game from starting...
posted 05-14-10 11:09 AM EDT (US)     22 / 28  
Ok then...
What SWGB version do you have ? Is it a non-latinic language ? This could explain why replacing the language.dll stops the game from starting.

I've checked the "mod_installer_log.txt" you sent me and found something wrong happened when replacing the game icons. Unfortunately, I'm not able to explain why right now.

Install the LAAT/i Republic Gunship modpack made by Redfive. Since this modpack replaces the republic fast fighter's graphics only (no icon or language files), it should work.

posted 05-14-10 11:11 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28  
My SWGB is a Spanish version. I've installed Redfive's mod. This time the icons didn't turn black, and the game didn't crash until I tried to put the fast fighter( now with invisible graphic) onto the map. Is it the problem that the installer did replace the slp. files of the fast fighter, but not with the ones in the modpack?
posted 05-15-10 02:57 AM EDT (US)     24 / 28  
Possible explanation : the unit became "invisible" because SWGB didn't find the SLPs and thus crashed.

It becomes worst and worst... E-mail me the "mod_installer_log.txt" file just after the installation of the Redfive's mod.
Honestly, it is the first time I see something like that, it sounds strange no other spanish users complained about a such issue when installing modpacks.

After installing Redfive's modpack, run the DRS Editor, open the Graphics_x1.drs, and click on the 3686, 3687 and 3688 lines in the list. These are the republic fast fighter's graphics.
Within this range, tell me if any line is missing, if any frame is invisible/corrupted, if something crashes, if you actually see the modified graphics. Don't hesitate to take some screenshots and send them to me.

posted 05-15-10 06:13 AM EDT (US)     25 / 28  
I don't know why but the drsviewer doesn't run well on my computer either. After I select number 3686 it just keeps"loading image..." for almost an hour and shows nothing I think that it might be the problem of my computer... Do I need any "file" or program to run the installer and drsviewer?
posted 05-15-10 08:16 AM EDT (US)     26 / 28  
According to the log, the Redfive's modpack was installed as expected, no errors.
I've made a quick search through the forum archives but found nothing regarding your problem.

Your SWGB CD may have been altered or your disc driver may not work right. Some years ago, I used a faulty disc driver to install SWGB (I wasn't aware of that at this moment). The game runs fine after the installation but the mod installer didn't allow me to install any mods, it kept saying some binary data stored in the game files weren't found or something... Later, I installed SWGB thanks to an external driver and... the mod installer worked ! Even one missing byte of data can make the difference.
Do I need any "file" or program to run the installer and drsviewer?
The modding tools couldn't even start if some necessary files were missing.

BTW, did you select other lines with the DRS Viewer ? Does it display something ?

posted 05-15-10 09:54 AM EDT (US)     27 / 28  
I guess that is a quite possible reason. When I tried to install the game my disk driver sometimes cannot read the cd(it keeps recognising it as an empty cd),so I always have to put the cd in and out again and again to get it installed. Well,maybe I should install it on other compter or try some other way to have the game installed. Thanks a lot for your help, anyway. As for the drsviewer, I tried to select the other lines, and it either runs slow or get an error message"run time error 6 overflow" Actually, I'd used drsviewer before,but it never works.
posted 05-15-10 10:49 AM EDT (US)     28 / 28  
As for the drsviewer, I tried to select the other lines, and it either runs slow or get an error message"run time error 6 overflow" Actually, I'd used drsviewer before,but it never works.
Yeah, not surprising after all.

Have a nice day !

SWGB Heaven » Forums » Modpack Discussion » Mod Installer Troubleshooting (Vista/Seven)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames