You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modpack Discussion
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Making the Mod (Ventress's Ship)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 04-15-04 08:40 PM EDT (US)   
Geonosian Fanblade Starfighter
Stage 1:

Bah... This is gunna take longer then building the model. The thing I like about making models from cartoons is they're uncomplicated. The thing I hate about them is they're uncomplicated. Since the clone wars cartoon's ships were made with cell shading, it's upto you to make the gradients and the shadows look real. But because there's such a low amount of detail, if you can, rely on different references DO IT. I made Skywalkers fighter from a toy. They're great if you can find them, better then blueprints.

This stage is easy. Take a cylinder, squash it and slice it in half. Then put a sphere in the middle. There, you're done.

Stage 2:

You want to cap the end off with a box so there's a surface there, and it looks like it has some depth. You don't want it too wide, just enough to stand out. Now make a smaller one in the middle right behind it. Stretch the vertices along the edge that's touching the larger rectangle. All that's left is creating the four gun ports. You can do this by making one cylinder and then copying and pasting it where you want.

Tip: When dealing with models with symmetry like this, it's better to have polygons overlap then to copy flip and paste everything.

Stage 3:

Notice that I've not only colored in the fan blade and the cockpit, but the gun ports too. This gives me a better idea on how I want it to turn out. Make two smaller rectangles that connect to each pair of gun ports. They should touch only the corners of the main support rectangle. Last... the ship has an extended body so take a cylinder, squash it, and reduce one of the ends.

Stage 4:

I needed to squash the two main boxes that go along the height of the ship because they were too wide. You can also smooth out the fan blade if you need to. To make the shape of the end of the gunports take out a cylinder with lots of sections. Select the bottom half and push it up as far as you can. Then select the right half and push it all the way to the left. There are plenty of other ways to make this shape but this technique only takes about 2 seconds and is all you really need for a swgb model.

Stage 5:

What you're going to do is slice up your sphere. You can do this by selecting all the surfaces you want and hitting [Cut Away Object]

If you really want to go into detail you can cut into the cylinder behind the cockpit and line up some rectangles to give it that jet intake look. You can do this with texturing but I prefer to do it this way.

Last up is making that curved look. You can do this by making a box underneath and then smoothing it out. Or you can make a cylinder, cut out what you don't need, and then combine it with an existing polygon. Then add two cylinders for the lights and that's it.

Stage 6:

Create a cylinder and place them though where the guns connect with the brace rectangle. Then texture the fusalage and all the metal. You can find the full sized texture here: Ventress Texture

Stage 7:

Texture the cockpit and shade the fan blades the correct colors as seen in your reference. By my count there should be eight blades.

Stage 8:
Texture the back of the guns and the fan blade and you're finished.

Currently working on
Hair!¦]

Voting for George Bush is like winning the Special Olympics. You might win but you'll still be retarded.

[This message has been edited by Invertix (edited 04-16-2004 @ 02:51 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-15-04 08:48 PM EDT (US)     1 / 33  
Kewl
posted 04-15-04 08:58 PM EDT (US)     2 / 33  
Invy, you rule. Period.

As the demon sleeps, man turns on man
His own blood and madness soon cover the Earth
From the depths of despair awaken the Razgriz
Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light
-- Ace Combat 5

[This forummer has been edited by Jesus Christ. (Edited 8-2001)]

[This message has been edited by Shadow Jedi (edited 04-15-2004 @ 08:59 PM).]

posted 04-15-04 09:01 PM EDT (US)     3 / 33  
Sexiness.

Corran Horn
archangel@bresnan.net
"I bow to no one and I give service only for cause."
-Boba Fett
posted 04-15-04 10:22 PM EDT (US)     4 / 33  
Request: Can you put verbal instructions in on how you did each stage, seeing as you are now the crowned king of MtM threads.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
posted 04-15-04 11:26 PM EDT (US)     5 / 33  
God Intertex, why don't you just destroy us with your brilliant modding powers....great job, do you plan to make an official Clone Wars modpack thread?
posted 04-15-04 11:47 PM EDT (US)     6 / 33  
What about Asajj Ventress?

John 3:16: For God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life.
posted 04-16-04 00:12 AM EDT (US)     7 / 33  
Assajj herself would be kinda hard to make. Especialy in a 3d editing program.
posted 04-16-04 00:18 AM EDT (US)     8 / 33  
Great like always!

- Astro
posted 04-16-04 01:41 AM EDT (US)     9 / 33  
Another winner from Invertix.

"Don't say that master your the closest thing i have to a father"
---Aniken Skywalker
posted 04-16-04 12:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 33  

Quote:

What about Asajj Ventress?

Shaz Lurer is making her, IIRC.

posted 04-16-04 12:51 PM EDT (US)     11 / 33  
Wow, looks fantastic, Invertix!

[This message has been edited by Darth Sidious (edited 04-16-2004 @ 12:52 PM).]

posted 04-16-04 02:51 PM EDT (US)     12 / 33  
Updated

Currently working on
Hair!¦]

Voting for George Bush is like winning the Special Olympics. You might win but you'll still be retarded.

posted 04-16-04 03:03 PM EDT (US)     13 / 33  
Invy, I think I love you and want your babys...

But seriously, you are the man. First great mods, THEN a good guide. I salute you!

posted 04-16-04 04:51 PM EDT (US)     14 / 33  
Invy could make Asajj.

John 3:16: For God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life.
posted 04-16-04 04:59 PM EDT (US)     15 / 33  
Technically I'm just touching it up. It's Shaz's model.

Currently working on
Hair!¦]

posted 04-16-04 05:53 PM EDT (US)     16 / 33  
The skirt it pitch black, it should have some shading, also it looks a bit 2D, I'm sure if you made your own model it would look much better (no offense Shaz)
posted 04-16-04 09:17 PM EDT (US)     17 / 33  
I agree you could do much better.

"Don't say that master your the closest thing i have to a father"
---Aniken Skywalker
posted 04-16-04 09:57 PM EDT (US)     18 / 33  
You wouldn't happen to be considering some post-RotJ mods would you (i.e., Jade's Fire, Jade's Sabre, Wild Karrde, Starry Ice, etc.)?

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

"And now the moon, earth's friend, that cared so much/for us, and cared so little, comes again—/always a stranger!"--Robert Lowell, "The Public Garden"
posted 04-16-04 10:04 PM EDT (US)     19 / 33  
The Wild Karrde has already been done, and I've made one of Mara's ships already. She goes through them faster then a lightsaber through butter. What's this Starry Ice?

Currently working on
Hair!¦]

posted 04-16-04 10:15 PM EDT (US)     20 / 33  
Invertix, do you think you could type out a list of the mods you have upcoming? I really like your stuff and i'd appreciate it

Current Project: The Scouring of Endor Campaign
and Rise of the Empire Scenarios.
My Mods: Ewok/Wookiee Bridge Mod
My Scenarios: Ewok Adventure
Grand Prize winner of the Galactic Battlegrounds Design Your Own Scenario Contest
posted 04-16-04 10:16 PM EDT (US)     21 / 33  
Talon Karrde's three main ships are the Wilde Karrde, the Starry Ice, and the Etherway. Sorry, couldn't find pictures, but I bet they'd look similar to the Wilde Karrde. Oh, and the reason Jade lost the Jade's Fire is she rammed it into the Hand of Thrawn.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

"And now the moon, earth's friend, that cared so much/for us, and cared so little, comes again—/always a stranger!"--Robert Lowell, "The Public Garden"
posted 04-16-04 11:06 PM EDT (US)     22 / 33  
its another awesome mod by Invertix
i wish i had your modding skills

| D A R T H - H A L C Y O N |
===========[===]===========
CAMPAIGN / MOD DESIGNER
Completed Projects: Mod - Landed Jedi Starfighter
I may be insane, but im not stupid!
posted 04-16-04 11:45 PM EDT (US)     23 / 33  
List as requested.
||
||
||
\/

Currently working on
Hair!¦]

posted 04-17-04 01:04 AM EDT (US)     24 / 33  
What about the AT-XT, and didn't you already release the T 19 Torrent?
posted 04-17-04 01:16 AM EDT (US)     25 / 33  
GREAT TUTORIAL!
Seriously, this has officially become an awesome thread!
I am playing basketball with my friend(that has 3dsmax) sunday afternoon. So hopefully he can help me texture the 2 models you made for me and I can get them compiled.

P.S. I should be on MSN next week a couple times at least.

Fettmeister
·..···...··Proud Supporter of THE MACE··...···..·
·..···...··R.I.P. Pat Tillman··...···..·
A true American patriot.
Don't forget to register to vote when you turn 18
VOTE G.W. BUSH IN 2004!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Modpack Discussion » Making the Mod (Ventress's Ship)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames