You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategies

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Arma's oft fool-proof Strategy (Target Audience = Good Rooks/Low Inters)
posted 02-02-02 04:35 PM EDT (US)   
Alrighty, I am posting this cos I learned my first AOK strats (the ones that actually worked) by getting them from HG players who actually knew what they were doing.

The target audience is primarily rooks who know the civs and have all their infra-structure (in terms of hot-keys and an understanding that you must make 100+ worker, etc) but don't really have any specific focus of what exactly to do.

Now, I am not the best player on the Zone, but I am certainly up there and I (shamefully) often use this same strat when I am in doubt but want to win.

Use of this strat assumes that you have set-up your infra-structure skills properly (use of hot-keys, the understanding that you must make 100+ workers non-stpo and ASAP, etc). If you don't know what I'm talking about, do a search under my name and you will find some useful threads explaining what the infra-structure of good play is, and how to learn it yourself.

This strat is geared towards using the Trade Federation (only cos I am lazy and like the DD base destroying power).
Anyway: First a quick summary (for all non-water RM(Random Map) low resource maps).

EDIT: Quick summary added (forgot):
Summary assumes low, average or high food map. Variations required due to food availablity are discussed below.

T1: 11 workers on food, 2 carbon (stragglers), next 2-3 on food, then all carbon upto about 23. worker 23-24 nova, rest farms till 500 food or 26-28 population - whichever comes first. Build power core & troop centre on way to T2.

T2: Queue 4 workers, first 1 or 2 on nova. The others will go to carbon. Build a mech factory & war-centre. Go T3. Research carbon processing, mech armour, farming, mech attack in pretty much that order as you can afford them. Begin with carbon tech on way to T3.

T3: Strike Mech rush enemy. Build 2nd CC. Pummel (+others) Drop on enemy CC. 3-4 more CC's & full fledged boom.

T4:Massed Droideka with AA trailing while simultanoues pumel drop again - scattered this time.

Detailed descirption of how to execute the above:
Immediately: I put my 3 workers onto a tree and then use 'H''I' (hot-key) to set my new workers onto the same tree. Then I press 'shift' & 'A' to queue up the CC with workers and then set my Scout as hot-key number '1' (using contrl) followed by useing 'shift' to set way-points for my scout as I then set-up around 6-8 waypoints ensuring my scout will do a full circle of my base, clicking on my final way-point to activate the scout's determined path.

nexthere's where the first and really only major deviation takes place.
1If the map is high on nurfs/banthas (i.e. you get 10 from only 1 loop of base), I will send 2 to my CC for immediate butchering by all my workers (who I have dump their carbon first) except for one who will build a nursery and load it up with nurfs/bathas. Meanwhile, I would have all my current workers drop off their carbon and begin processing the food I have sent them.
2Less than 10 from a single loop: I will select them all, and then aim them at my CC, using 'control' to deselect them one at a time so that I may purposefully scatter them at equal lengths adjacent to my cc. I would then change wher my workers come out (through the 'I' hot-key) to one of the food those food sources.

NextNow that start is in solid motion, I will reset my scout's path so that it includes a second wider loop around the entire perimter of my base. Moving any new found nurfs/bathas to the CC or nursery if very many.

NowAs soon as all the above is in motion, your last worker should be just about out and you should research the worker hp/armour tech as it helps to lure dew-backs/etc to your CC. beyond that, you must now maintain constant worker production up until you press T2.

Set-up in action so now you want (with Trade Fed) your first 11 population slots (12 including scout) to go to food sources. Lure Dewbacks (other threads tell you how to do this) and drop a food production centre between your 4 deer-like things. Use 4 guys for this. Basically though - as long as all your guys are working on food up until pop = 12. Your Scout will be finishing his second loop b4 thsi ends, so you will need to reassign his way-points b4 he finishes. After 2 full (widening) loops of your base, have him virtualy go to each corner in a pattern that will ensure he locates your enemy.

Then Now that everything set - all is relaxed - light a smoke if you got one (lol). Put workers 13 & 14 on straggler trees near your CC, next 2 or 3 on food after that. Then reset your scout again so that he's circling your enemy base to see where carbon wokers are working and where his nova & ore is. Then build a carbon plant and put everyone new that comes out onto carbon (using 'I' to set the point on the trees next to the plan).

When you get to about 20 You want your scout to run a wide perimiter run again cos he is looking for t-recruit rush evidence (from your enemy), fill out remaining black areas here and there. You now wanna build a second Carbonj processor on other side of your CC so that any rush that comes wont bother you (just move from one processor to the CC to scare em off, then to the other Carbon when they flee or dead). Use your 23rd (or 24th) worker to make a nova mine flush against your nova, then put the rest to farms (flush aginst your CC) until you have 500 food or 26-28 pop - whichever comes first.

Hit T2. While on the way: build a power-core so that it encompasses your CC & a Carbon processor (& nursery if you got one). Set your scout for another circle of enemy base to see what they're doin. If heavy ore - you got tower rush coming. If heavy nova, you got jedi rush coming. If neither, good, all is straightforward (other 2 require new thread). Then go back for scout for forward builders and more blackness (fog) slaying. Then build a trooper barracks, and queue up a couple troopers so that they are automatically garrisoned within your barracks (using the 'i' hotkey). As soon as you hit T2, queue up around 4 workers to go to nova (but change it to carbon after 1 or 2), and build a war centre within you power core radius ASAP. If you are surprisingly low on food, have all new workers become farmers (as possible). Reassign your scout around 10 distant very waypoints so that you can forget about it for virtually rest of game (done his work) and if you are being rushed, build two towers so that each covers the other, both covering one of your carbon and ideally covering your nova as well (and linking back to the CC). Build a Mech-Centre as soon as you can afford and next an ore mine with a couple excess food guys going to mine ore. Click T3 As Soon As Possible. Generally, you should have around 29-31 workers and should be ignoring most rushes as if they weren't there. Use workers to beat down troopers if there arent more than 4, otherwise work around them. You have Tech advantage coming up so they dun matter.

On the way to T3, research Carbon Proceesing first, mech armour second, farming 3rd, mech attack fourth. As soon as you hit T3, begin making Strike Mechs, and if you have had no rush vs you, some AA as well who go to your most distant carbon. As soon as you have 4 Strike Mechs (your first priority) put them on defensive mode and send them to your opponents base. Put 2 at their carbon and 2 at their nova. If they have towers(or put them up), change your mechs stance to stand ground, and put them individually to stand flush against your enemy's towrs (if outta CC range). Towers have a minumum range and even most so-called experts
seem to forget this for some reason.

Now, Back at home, your next goal is a second CC, ideallly flush against Carbon but also against a resources (nova or ore - nova better). Kepp both your CC's pumping workers directly to Carbon as much as possible moving extra to nova and a couple to ore as you can. Build a Heavy Weapon Factory at home and an AirBase. Have your Factory begin building pummels ASAP. Number 1 priority to put it in action. Your Strike mechs prolly dead by now but keep going - including the odd AA turret and trooper at primary spots. Have your AA base build 3 Transports as you can afford them. Your goal is to make 5 Pummels, 2 Artillery. 3 Strike Mechs, 1 Mech Destoryer, and 4 AA Troopers. Keep pumping workers as possible, but nothing else matters as much as getting thsi ordinance out. Load the 15 units into trannies and now upgrade the hvy factory tech and mech armour as you send them all to drop on your opponents CC. The only micro that yuou needa do at this point is to double click a pummel after they land to ensure that all pummels go for the CC. Also target MD's with your MD, and other appropriate targets as available. Then ignore for a while, build a third CC, and concentrate on booming. Go back and redirect your pummels as required (assuming enemy not resigned yet, many experts wont as they will have 2nd CC by time you hit).

Booming StageEnemy is well distracted now. You want 4 CC's minimum, but ASAP. YOu want the CC resource research, and your first nova & ore research now. You also wanna begin researching trooper upgrades at the war factory and the speed/range upgrades at the trooper factory. Build a fotress in key spot and a reseach centre and go T4.

On way to T4 you are preparing for your next big strike. This time a double combo. You want to max out on trooper research at wra factory and trooper barracks as your main army will be Droideka. Begin making some as you can afford them, along with a seocond Fortress. When you hit T4, research the faster production tech as fotress, and begin massing DD while you complete new trooper research. In background, as you can afford, make pummels and AA mobiles and AA turrets (scattered all over). Put 3 pummels & 2 AA in trannnies as you get them. Ideally, you wnat 3 trannies full (3 pummel +2 AA each) and around 40 Droideka. Doesn't take long for that many. If you use all three nova piles that you normally stratr with. Use a spaceport to sell all your food to get it if needed, excess ore as & carbon as well.

The (oft) final Battle Bring up your Droideka with some AA mobiles upgraidng the mobiles & Droideka to heavy along the way. When nearly at enemy, select three key sites
(generally 2 fotresses and a CC) amongst enemy base and have your 3 trannies go and unload at each site (use control to deslect to save time). Send in unupgraded fighters & other transports first for AA decoys if you can afford. Then bring up Droideka to full use heading for the centre of carbon production for a quick 20 or so kills followed by a CC. Bring up the AA mobiles immediatel behind the Droideka. Whatever number of AA you think you need, double it if opponent is Rebels.

This should spell defeat for most enemies, but obviously there are a number of variables on the way. However, I rarely (if ever - can't remember last time) lose using this strat. It's not fool-proof, but it is the strongest I've got.

Some key points:

*If scout spots heavy enemy nova: go heavy ore yourself with intention of fotress the second you make T3 and pump a couple bounties - proceed with plan working aroun dthe rush.

*If enemy spots heavy enemy ore: if you already have nursery - fully upgrade mounties ands begin auto-garrisoning multiple mounties (as many as possible basically. Else work around the tower push as much as possible, plainnign on a second power core outta the way (or very very close to your CC). Bracing for use of pummels for quick removal while otherwise working around. - nothing wrong with grabbing all your carbon workers and assigning them immediately to a semi-distant forest. Better than idle workers or exxagerated losses.

*If facing a heavy mounty rush: Odds are you are playing Blue_Myrmidon so just resign and find someone easier (I never played Blue but this is his rep) Else, those two turrets mentioned (much ) earlier along with extra troopers instead will usually deal with the quite well. The key is to auto-garrison until you have about 7 troopers. Many bring them out 1 by 1 and get lost in the mayhem. Don't panic and remain directed. Get the trooer upgrades at the war-centre if remotely affordable and try to work around the Mountys by sending Carbon gusy to distant place. Farmers will be fine so nova is likely always primary tegert of you enemy. However, you have 3 nova piles and there is nothing wrong with using one of the small ones until you take back control of the big one.

*After your strike mech rush, your enemy will likely make MD & air for use with their rush. Hence, you should include (on top of all the AA truuests mentioned b4), 1 artillery & a couple MD and several AA troopers for defensive purpose for use once you send off your drop. This is a luxury that you may or may not be able to afford. It gets lesser priority as the resources pay higher used aggresively.

*If map is Rivers (or the like) go heavier carbon and make a shipyard on way to T2 and drop all your times by a full
minute. Make around 4-6 Trawlers and it will pay off vs late T2 or any T3 rushes (expect something, hence usually pays off).

*Smae build if map has no food. Just more carbon earlier and all foodies are farmers. You aim not to ever have more than 50 carbon upto T2 (i.e. cos you have farms instead).

That's all. Hope at least one of you out there appreciates the time this took to write. Ask any questions you like as each and every one will be cheerfully answered

RON Username: xSW_Armageddon
SWGB ZoneName: AU_Armageddon
SWGBH Ladder Moderator: SWGBH Forumer's Ladder
AOK-TC ZoneName: Armageddon__Utd & TML_Armageddon
AOKH Ladder Creator: AOKH Forumer's Ladder

[This message has been edited by ArmageddonUnlimited (edited 02-04-2002 @ 10:17 AM).]

Replies:
posted 02-02-02 05:31 PM EDT (US)     1 / 24  
Thanks a lot, I am a low inter and this helped me a lot!

I only see one SMALL problem, a good rush is not easy to "ignore". By the time you finally reach T3 you may have a hurt eco, unless you use your ore for turrets or make some military (villies cant beat down everything, lol)

I appreciate all the writing

Matt the Great II
My n00bish little underscore will kill you!
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 02-03-02 07:38 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24  
Seems I have not written this very eloquently as it appears none too many are interested. My purpose was to put something in writing that at least partially provides some kind of a build order (due to the distinct lack of any detailed strategies as were found in abundance for AOK). I will work on a more digestible draft for this.

In the meantime, Matt: Sorry, when I say ignore I don't mean it so literally. I mean that you may be tempted to panic and go full-time defensive - which is the enemy's goal.

I did say in the post (for example) to put up the two overlapping towers (in the example of trooper rush), and it is sometimes worthwhile to make around 3/4 of the force that the enemy is using (garrisoned while you make me) and then lure the enemy into CC/tower fire doing some quick micro to get kills as possible. However, by having two carbons on opposite sides of your CC, you can just bring the group of workers to the other site by why of first garrisoning them if being followed, then reset the waypoint and send em back to work. If you enemy wants to cover both, they'll have to split their force in half in which case killing them will be easy with only a 1/2 sized force and luring. You don't need nova for my strategy anyway except to go T3 which means you only need 150 total. If you have put the couple workers on nova at end of T1, you will be close anyway and can usually get enough. Enemies rarely are very vigilant about stopping Nova in early rushes, with carbon being more popular target. However, you have 3 nova piles on most maps anyway, and no-one covers the other 2 so in a pinch you can send some carbon workers over to one of the other 2 to get the nova you need. Sometimes, a space-port may be worthwhile to trade for it instead. If they have rushed in T1 or T2, and you don't panic and keep working as much as possible, you will make T3 well ahead and a couple strike mechs will annihilate any ammount of troopers in a trooper rush, a minimal microing will allow them to finish mounties rapidly as well (ideally with some troopers for support). Then when you have the 4 strike mechs, you go and return the favour upgrading them at war centre on the way.

When I redraft this, I will attach a link to a recording as well so that it can be viewed after reading, then read again and will be easier to follow.

posted 02-03-02 08:35 AM EDT (US)     3 / 24  
aahh, now it makes a lot of sense!

P.S. i just used this strategy to win a ladder game! Guy had like 10 towers in my base i used my vills to knock them down, lol, then got to T3 at 25 minute mark (he really bunged me up) and i got pummels then did a pummel drop and won!

Matt the Great II
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 02-03-02 11:41 AM EDT (US)     4 / 24  
Thanks a lot Arma. Don't be discouraged at all. It's not that people aren't looking at this or not reading it, it is just very long. I for one printed it out and need to have time to read the entire thing. I am VERY grateful for this post as I am not a low inter, but I am not an expert. I need these helpful hints to raise my game to the next level. I am one of those people who learned AoK totally through guides. I still remember when my dad and I first started playing AoK. We had been playing offline for a LONG time, so we immediately went into a "Good Players Only" game. Obviously it didn't take long for us to figure out that we were not skilled at all.

I shudder to think where my AoK skill would have been without MFO and AoKH. I learned more from their posts than I would have ever imagined. I guess my main point was that these type of posts are VERY beneficial, and do not stop poting these please.

posted 02-03-02 03:18 PM EDT (US)     5 / 24  
yeah, after a year of beating people at school, i went on the zone into an experts game, and wondered how i was killed in 20 minutes on standard resources starting in the Dark Age

Matt the Great II
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 02-03-02 05:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 24  
One tip to improve this build: if you don't plan to build troopers in T2, don't build a troop center in T1/T2. This is a basic RTS principle: build what you need, when you need it, and not too early or too late. This means you can put fewer workers on carbon (since you won't be spending that extra carbon until later) and possibly put 1-2 workers on ore so that you can make towers if rushed.

The second basic RTS principle that can be applied here: shift your economy to get what resources you need when you need them. In this case, if you had to plant lots of farms in order to get the food to go to T3, then you try to make strike mechs without changing your economy, you will run out of carbon very quickly and have a large surplus of food. So as your farms run out, send them to carbon. As you need more carbon (for a T3 army), devote a greater proportion of your economy to gathering carbon. If you changed tactics and went heavy on air, then you'll need fewer people on carbon and more on nova, etc.

Machiavelli_IUB
posted 02-04-02 05:33 AM EDT (US)     7 / 24  
Suggestion : make very,very,very sure that your teammate REALLY is a expert and not a newbie.

Dont ever let anyone on your team who likes using troops without AA.

posted 02-04-02 10:12 AM EDT (US)     8 / 24  
great strat mate really helpful. Just one question, although anyone can answer, how do I set way points for scout??

"There is always a bigger fish"

Zone nick = SWC_Tallone

posted 02-04-02 10:13 AM EDT (US)     9 / 24  
The troop-centre's time of placement is actually really variable, but I would normally suggest lower-end skilled players go with it (and the couple garrisoned troopers) as an insurance package. It doesn't really cost too much off of your time and pays off for those (more often than not) times when you cop a T1/T2 rush and your opponent truly forfeits making T3 before you regardless.

Myself, I always build it if I have detected forwards/or other evidence of a rush in the making. However, if I have seen no evidence of a rush, I always hold it off like Machiavelli suggests until clicking T3, or, if carbon is gonna be low, until I have the Strike Mechs.

If you've scouted properly you can make these decisions confidently(reasonably enough anyway), but if in doubt, I say build the Troop Centre. For this overall strat, I find it better to have a more overall stable & rush ready economy and make a 17-18 T3 instead of a 16 one.

If pure speed is what you want, you could drop 2 workers from the T2 build and forget the power-core as well as the Troop Centre and second carbon processor until you hit the T3 button. You'll make an easy 16 T3 and have enough resources for the strike mech rush and upgrades. However, if you're rushed the principals will fall apart and it will not be ignorable (if heavy, it'll prolly end the game). Maybe okay for the pocket, but pure speed's never been my primary concern.

Machiavelli's point well taken. As for the "second RTS principal", I consider that part of the core infra-structure that Good Rooks/Low Inters should be aware and din't mention it here (long enough as it is - lol). There are a number of training style threads which well outline important principals such as this and I don't reccomend trying a strat like this until you've familiarised yourself with them.

The purpose of this thread is to provide a somewhat followable strategy that works well for those who know the basics of how to play (especially non-expert AoKers), but need a starting point for something to do. Although, I suspect that any Newbies or Rooks who try following it will likely beginning winning games that they were otherwise losing.

posted 02-04-02 10:15 AM EDT (US)     10 / 24  
Use the 'shift' key tallone while pressing the mouse button. This will set a new way-point each time you do it. Then click on the final way-point that you have set (without shift) and the scout will begin following the path (or anyone else that you have set way-points for, such as stolen Nurfs that you wanna send home via the map edge).

EDIT: Sorry, just realised that my use of 'greater than'/'less than' brackets '>''<' has removed all my 'shifts' and 'controls' from the strat post. I have just edited them so that they now appear where they should.

[This message has been edited by ArmageddonUnlimited (edited 02-04-2002 @ 10:19 AM).]

posted 02-04-02 10:22 AM EDT (US)     11 / 24  
cheers for speedy reply Arma, I had only just posted it and turned my head away before you replied It is really helpful, why not add it to the hints/tips part on the site, it would have saved me 2 weeks of getting large portions of a*s whooped on the zone when I first started playing SWGB, luckily I have learned from the beatings

"There is always a bigger fish"

Zone nick = SWC_Tallone

posted 02-04-02 10:31 AM EDT (US)     12 / 24  
great idea tallone

I'll look about setting up a FAQ section at the top of this forum (we had one at AOKH too - didn't think about it till you mentioned it - thanx).

posted 02-04-02 11:09 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24  
Thanks very much a very good strat, Ive just printed it out
makes good reading and Thank's again
posted 02-04-02 12:40 PM EDT (US)     14 / 24  
Great Job !!!! Arma. I have been looking for something like this for over two months. You goto AOE and there are loads of strat's and finally there is a good one for SWGB. Keep up the good work and I'll see if this strat can take me from a low Inter to high Inter.
posted 02-05-02 02:51 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24  
Just wanted to thank you "Arma" for the strategy guide. I am new to this realm of gaming (RTS) and have just started with SWGB at X-mas. Since reading your info yesterday, I have set personal best improvements in T3 and T4 times improving them by cutting up to 15 min. on T4. I have not been able to break 11:28 for my T2, but I know with a bit more practice and organization I can do it.

I was amazed at how long I had been taking to progress. I have always been able to build a robust economy and good fighting force, but not with the urgency that I could.

Thanks again to you and all the great players who post here. I have read and studied many of the posts and really appreciate the patience that you all show to the uninitiated.

Good Battling!

[This message has been edited by Enverion (edited 02-05-2002 @ 02:53 AM).]

posted 02-08-02 03:10 AM EDT (US)     16 / 24  
Thanx guys. Enough people are finding this useful that I am going to redraft this one and then begin to release (over time) a series of well defined strats for newer players to follow, each with recorded games for demonstration.

posted 02-09-02 02:40 AM EDT (US)     17 / 24  
Arma, since my last post I have practiced your strat and have actually broke a nine min. (8:55) T2! This for me was a great improvement. I have also almost halved my T3 time. It has taken a lot of concentration since the game moves so much faster now, but once you get the hang of it becomes much easier. Still have work to do but thanks again.

Good Battling!

posted 02-12-02 08:00 PM EDT (US)     18 / 24  
What type of map settings are the most commonly used by players. Random Map, I would guess, but what about size, resource avail., and location (probably the most variable)?

Just curious. Thanks.

posted 02-14-02 04:39 AM EDT (US)     19 / 24  
Enverion, there is more diversity in the settings used overall in SWGB as compared with AoK, however, amongst good/exert players the 'Standard Settings' are well defined and used in the vast majority of games. Hence, I suggest you get used to playing on these settings now:

Game Type: Random Map
Map Type: RM or RLM (RLM more common)
Resources: Low or Standard (both mean the same thing!)
Speed: Fast
Reveal Map: Normal
Population: 200
Starting Age: Dark (or Standard - same thing)
Victory: Conquest

posted 02-15-02 04:29 AM EDT (US)     20 / 24  
Arma,

Thanks for the answer back. I have been using the settings that you have mentioned for the most part with a few exceptions. One of them: the game on 'fast' I have not used yet.

I'll make the adjustments and practice. I have to modify my network firewall to allow Zone use, and I am axious to play someone there!

Thanks again.

posted 02-16-02 05:46 AM EDT (US)     21 / 24  
Thanks a load Arma for this great strat. (this is my first reply and i am a little low on stuff to say)
Your strat realy works though!!! last night I totaly kicked my mates a** with it.
I am forever in your dept as he is always boasting about how good he is (or was) and I totaly whiped him out with the pummel drop.
posted 02-21-02 04:59 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24  
lol - glad to hear it Aneng!

That's what it's here for

posted 02-23-02 11:12 AM EDT (US)     23 / 24  
on a normal food map i get a 16:15 T3 with 27-28 workers (i go T2 with 25 and create two more before i T3) with this build order, is that about right, or a little too slow?

i have barely enough carbon to get enough mechs, especially if i have more than one mech factory, but im working on that.

Matt the Great II
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 03-23-02 12:00 PM EDT (US)     24 / 24  
You Gotta be careful with advancing techs; its best to spend that little extra time in tech 1 making those few extra workers otherwise in tech 2 youll find yourself at a real disadvantage. Also youll find its easier to get to t3 faster and the case for a lot of experts is they spend 14+ minutes in tech 1, as they hit tech 2 they make the 2 required buildings straight away and already have enough resources to go t3! Great Strat anyway arma , keep it up
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Strategies » Arma's oft fool-proof Strategy (Target Audience = Good Rooks/Low Inters)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames