You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategies

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Scout Rush
posted 04-21-02 05:52 PM EDT (US)   
Introduction - Scouts are one of the weakest T2 units. However, they are not weak when you have over 40 of them, and fully upgraded (in T2). Costing no food and only 50 wood, scouts are the easiest units to mass. Using this strategy on a normal food map, and considering that you don't get T1 rushed or scout rushed by another person, you should have 5-7 mech factories and 100+ scouts by 25 minutes. It sounds impossible or very hard, but it is very easy.

Civilization - Trade Federation - Think of scouts as skirmishers in AoC; weak when used alone, but powerful when massed. Using this strategy, you should be able to mass a lot of scouts, getting to 100 population by 20 minutes. This means taht you will need a lot of prefab shelters, and with the TF, you don't need to build them, saving a lot of wood.

T1 -
The first 8 villagers should get banthas. Next 6 goes on carbon. Put enough on food after that until you feel like you can T2 under 13 minutes. Put everyone else on carbon. During T1, get 6-7 farmers. That is all you need for now. When you have 500 food, put all your workers on carbon, except for 7 on farms.

T2 -
Immediatly build 2 mech factories and a war center. Produce scouts from the 2 mech factories, and at war center, research elevation tracking, plate armor, and power pack. Add more mech factories as carbon allows; make sure you have enough carbon collectors to keep continuos scout production in all mech factories. By 25 minutes, you should have around 100 scouts and 6 mech factories. At that time, send all your scouts near the enemy's cc, and attack it. Keep producing scouts, and put the gathering point near the enemy's CC. You should be able to create scouts faster than they can destroy, and will eventually destroy his CC.

T3 -
They should already be dead in T2. However, if they are not, once you get to T3, (which should be around 30-40 minutes, mass strike mechs, and kill the enemy.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Replies:
posted 04-21-02 07:53 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19  
sig test.....

yeah, pretty cool strat. i hate scouts because they fire once an hour though, lol.
scouts stink.

oh gee, now you have to kill me with it, in other words YOU HAVE TO SHOW IT TO ME! HEHEHHEE

Matt the Great II
My n00bish little underscore will kill you!
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 04-22-02 05:12 AM EDT (US)     2 / 19  
Were you drinking when you came up with this one, or was your opponent drinking and he let you get away with it so you were impressed with it?
posted 04-22-02 08:54 AM EDT (US)     3 / 19  
*Tries to retrain himself, don't flame, it's bad*

Ok...

Well, the scout rush is a great strat despite the comments of a certain other forumer. It works jsut like the skirmy rush of aoc and annoyomous decribed how it works very well. Don't listen to anyone who tells you this strat sucks, it don't if you use it right.

I need something to hold me over untill AOM, I guess this will have to do, catch me on the zone as _Nazgul or Knights_Q2
posted 04-22-02 09:25 AM EDT (US)     4 / 19  
Ok. I can see this working on space mass or other low food maps...

But could u please explain to me whether or not it is still effective in other sits.?

Example. On a normal-good food map I consistently go T3 in 16-17 min. You are saying attack with scouts at 25 min. That is giving me 8 min. to attack you at which time I will see these scouts being massed and be all over them with air...

Ideas?

zn_DG_KhaleeLah

posted 04-22-02 11:03 AM EDT (US)     5 / 19  
Why not just use troopers? Or maybe throw in a few grenade troopers which will outrange the enemy command center until they finish war center research.
posted 04-22-02 12:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19  
i must testify that the scout rush DOES work! Donkey and Kyp were experimenting with it and tried it against us and it killed us lol

although we knew they were gonna try something, i wasnt expecting this scout rush strat and was going fast t3. i was almost at t3 when the first group of what was to become MASSED scouts arrived and started shooting up my workers. i only managed to put up a couple of towers, but my econ was totally disrupted and eventually shut down. the scout groups were far to numberous,fast and nimble. their speed and numbers is what helped them make minced meat of my workers. no way i could have made enough troopers becuase my res income was stopped completely. finally all 3 enemy scout groups combined to destroyed our CCs and buildings lol

so this is wat happens when hit by a scout rush while going fast t3. maybe if someone built up a military during t1 or t2, with an intention to early rush, may have faired better. but what i saw, i really doubt it. also, these guys are VERY good players to begin with. so good luck going up against it. im gonna try to see if i can execute this strat for the heck of it now lol.

hopefully they will fill us in on their eventual findings of their experiments

Metalzone SWGB website
Zone Name= DrUnK_Force_

[This message has been edited by Founding_Force (edited 04-22-2002 @ 12:06 PM).]

posted 04-22-02 12:14 PM EDT (US)     7 / 19  
wow, that sounds awesome, Qwerty. I gotta try it! So, what were you drinking when you wrote this?

seriously though, a scout rush sounds cool.

posted 04-22-02 04:32 PM EDT (US)     8 / 19  
Hey Qwert if ya can send me a rec of this.....ZM me and I'll give ya my e-mail...

Zone names - _MAD_Attila and _fake_oakleys_
posted 04-23-02 00:31 AM EDT (US)     9 / 19  
I have posted about this, but wasn't expecting it to happen to me the other day and got creamed by it.

I was late getting to T2, and had a player show up with about 12 speeder bikes. They targeted my carbon gatherers.

He had my workers outnumbered two to one. I tried to attack with the workers even though I was outnumbered and lost all of them.

I had a larger gathering operation, so I towered there. I was gathering ore early, for no particular reason, so I had to put two towers there, and two over my ore.

He had taken 6 carbon gathers, and continued to flood in more speeder bikes. He then attacked the ore minors.

I had six there, and tried to garrision them, but the speeder bikes trapped them in, and prevented them from getting into the towers before they were dead.

They left to attack my partner, and I was mortally wounded, in T3 with 20 workers left.

If only I'd garrision my workers a little earlier, got elevation advantage and made troopers instead of towers, then maybe I could have beat it. Knowing what I know now is a little late don't you think.

posted 04-23-02 06:22 PM EDT (US)     10 / 19  
Wow. I have tested this strat about 5 times and its gotta be my fav, mainly because its so fun watching 60scouts rip up your enemy's econ while he protests that scouts suck, and they shouldent be allowed to wipe out troopers so easily.
I even had one guy make fun of me when he saw 20 scouts go for his carbon.
I could imagine the look on his face when 40 more attacked his ore, nova and farms as well.
Hey donkey, I've just got one question.
You said to wait till you have 100+ scouts(25 mins)
I tried attacking with 35-50(around 18-19 mins)
It seemed to work well to, as long as I kept up a constant flow of scouts from 4 mech factories after sending the 35-50 in.
I was wondering if this is a bad way of doing it, for some reason I'm not aware of.
Thanks for the great strat.

~|-Pete Out|~
~| Transform Web Site |~
~"The unexamined life is not worth living"- Socrates~
~"At the heart of every problem is a problem of the heart"~
posted 04-23-02 08:13 PM EDT (US)     11 / 19  
I said it is possible to get 100 scouts in 25 minutes. However, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't attack before 25 minutes. I attack with the first scout i have, and send all the scouts I make into the enemy's base. Basically, what I'm doing is massing scouts in the enemy's base, harrassing his economy at the same time while I'm building up a army large enough to kill his CC.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
posted 04-26-02 00:05 AM EDT (US)     12 / 19  
this i gotta try

Obi Wan Jabroni
Zone Name: _iMeGa__
posted 04-26-02 00:25 AM EDT (US)     13 / 19  
well, i just experienced this rush first hand today. holy heck did it work well, even though my team eventually beat qwerty, its only cause i got T3 first and made many strike mechs. Hard to counter this when they are fully upgraded too.
posted 04-26-02 09:08 AM EDT (US)     14 / 19  
It's easy to pump scouts from 2 or 3 mech factories, get some war center upgrades, and keep making workers all at the same time, that alone, the ability to rush so well with almost no economic let down, makes this strat work well.

I need something to hold me over untill AOM, I guess this will have to do, catch me on the zone as _Nazgul or Knights_Q2
posted 04-26-02 09:22 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19  
aahh i watched qwerty in a co-op game...this thing kills.

Matt the Great II
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 05-30-02 11:59 PM EDT (US)     16 / 19  
top?

So, anyone with the expansion, does this strategy still work?

posted 05-31-02 00:16 AM EDT (US)     17 / 19  
i have done this actually a few times...ive made them quick FU at T2 and sent them to enemy base to screw around with him while i t3 and whipped them

Obi Wan Jabroni
Zone Name: _iMeGa__
posted 05-31-02 06:08 AM EDT (US)     18 / 19  
this strat has never worked for me period, expansion or none, but ive only tried it twice, so im probably just messing up on silly errors

Matt the Great II
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 06-03-02 00:55 AM EDT (US)     19 / 19  
i tried it too vs the comp. got about 25 scouts then couldnt resist sending them lol.

Find me on MSN Game Zone as _Skythe_ or _SF_Skythe_ typically...
Waiting on the next SW RTS!!!
Only a few more years to go..
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Strategies » Scout Rush
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames