You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategies

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to boom properly.
posted 05-04-02 01:50 PM EDT (US)   
Introduction: Booming is a term used for building a massive economy that can gather and endless supply of resources (almost) and boom your technology and military to the upper levels and overpower your opponents by force and wit.

Purpose: To get 100-120 workers and defenses up by the 30 minute mark.

Build order

This is the basic build i usually use to get to T3 with my strong economy on an average food map. If its a high food map, but a couple more on food, and if its a low food map, more to carbon.

8 food
4 carbon
2 food
4 carbon.
4 food
3 carbon
2 ore
3 nova
go to T2.

On the way to T2....
build a power core that covers your carbon, food, or both. build farms when needed, but make sure you'll be able to get two T2 buildings up.

In T2..

create two more workers to carbon.
make two buildings. Iusually start with a mech factory and a spaceport.
Go to T3. Target T3 time = 19-20 minutes. The faster you T3, the less resources you will have.

On the way to T3..

if an opponent gets to T3 way before you, immediately throw up a troop center and make some AA troopers. have them guard your farms and your carbon.
Also, get the carbon and farm upgrades as soon as you can.

T3.

ok, you are going to want around 3 more CC's. Put them near carbon and nova/ore, but avoid cliffs because you'll want to build famrs later im sure. at your first CC, get the motivator upgrades. get the T3 carbon and farm upgrades when you can. you are also going to need to get anti air turrets covering them, so put some new workers on ore. put the rest on carbon/farms.

You also want to do some kind of a raid. If you dont, your opponent will just boom too, and you could be outboomed. If you dont have a troop center, war center, or mech factory by now, make them. spend resources to make some defenses and upgrades, but KEEP ALL OF YOUR CC'S BUSY! Also, make sure you dont have idle workers. Make new carbon centers closer to the carbon that hasn't been chopped away.
Once you have a small strike force (mechs, fighters, whatever) go ahead and distract the opponent. do a pummel drop on his power core, CC, or military buildings backed up by mechs (or jedi if you like).

By the time you get around 100-120 workers, stop produce until you get the 1000 food 800 nova, then go to T4.
HOWEVER: never go to T4 if you are in a huge battle already and will fall behind by spending the food/nova.

Continue to upgrade and create! CHECK FOR IDLES!

Ok now you start amking units really based on your civ. I will use the GE as an example. What i want to do is start making some more Strike mechs or Mech destroyers, depending on what the enemy has. I want to get a fort up also by now.

I also want to be foward building. That means making your buildings near the opponent to get reinforcements faster. AS you are pushing him back with your GE repeaters, mechs, and anti air mobiles/artillery, keep building foward to claim the land and have more guys coming.
Make an animal nursery if you dont have one yet. Mounties can come in handy.

In T4, you may want to start trading. Unless you see at least 4 nova mines with at least 3 nova crystals in each, or each of your opponents is near extinction, then make about 5-10 trade carts and have them trade with your strongest ally.
Now, let me explain why your strongest ally, EVEN IF HE IS CLOSER. Yes, you wont get as much nova possibly, but if a weaker ally falls, your trade route is going to fall unless you took the time to have half of your army guarding just the route (which wouldnt be too smart). Then your carts will just die, as they cannot fight and cannot run that fast.

You want to upgrade what you will use in your army. First of all, build in the center of the map if you can, then expand to your enemies from there. I WILL CONTINUE TO USE THE GE AS AN EXAMPLE.
I am upgrading my strike mechs and mech destroyers to heavy. I am also getting the extra hp upgrades for them. My war center is busy until i cant research out of it no more (except for grenader training). I have repeater troopers now, and have upgraded at my fort to Dark Trooper phase two. I am using more military buildings to create repeaters, AA MOBILES, Mechs, AA MOBILES, and artillery. I am aware that I said AA mobiles twice, because they are very important. When resources allow, research to heavy artillery and heavy AA Mobile.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Many rookies make the following mistake. They have all the good upgrades and have FU units! Great! But WHOOPS! They actually dont have any units created. They are attacked. Bye bye.
You have to be making the units that you are upgrading while you upgrade. HAVE MULTIPLE OF EACH MILITARY BUILDING!

I am definately attacking someone b now. Lets say im attacking the rebels. He sends fighters, mechs, and troopers to fight. I have my anti air mobiles take out his air, his air retreat and he stops creating fighters. My strike mechs and mech destoryers are taking his troopers and mechs out because his guys are firing at my troopers (hopefully).
At this point in the game, make a nursery. Mounted troopers are very cheap to replace and are fast to make. They are the solution to when your opponent starts hording artillery. Also, keep in mind how easy to replace troopers are. If in a battle you have the choice of sacrificing your troopers or sacrificing your mechs/artillery, have the troopers fight.

As I am pushing my opponent back and destroying his buildings, i am having workers of my own follow my army, continously foward building. The foward buildings constantly are reproducing reinforcements.
In late game because of my trading, i eventually have lots of nova. I have some fun and make Assault Mechs or Sith Masters, as long as they wont be wiped out.

Make sure your home workers keep gathering carbon and farming. Keep making new Carbon Centers near new forests to keep the produce up. Watch your battles, keep your economy going, have a little defense at the alert, KEEP THE OFFENSIVE, and you should be set.

Good luck soldier!

Matt the Great II
My n00bish little underscore will kill you!
Member of the LTR Clan

[This message has been edited by MattTheGreat_II (edited 05-06-2002 @ 03:33 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-04-02 03:41 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Good guide to booming so far Gimli keep up the good work!
posted 05-04-02 05:15 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
AragornStrider, AKA LTR_Gandalf_SW, the guy who taught me how to boom

i owe it all to him, my master. (im his apprentice)

Matt the Great II
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 05-04-02 05:40 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21  

Quote:

i owe it all to him, my master

that didnt sound right

BB Gun
You'll shoot your eye out
PING PONG CHAMPION 2003, 2004

posted 05-04-02 11:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
There are some things about the boom that you forgot to add.

• Unless you want to build another CC or units that cost carbon, each time you get 50 carbon, build a new farm.
  • During late T2 and early T3, go heavy on carbon for more CCs.
  • When you feel that you have enough CCs, take build as many farms as you can with carbon collecters and new workers.

Also, I don't put a power core near my food processing center or carbon processing center... I don't really find that that useful, unless you are going to build military buildigns there.

Anyways, good guide.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[This message has been edited by Annoyomous (edited 05-04-2002 @ 11:32 PM).]

posted 05-05-02 06:48 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
Yep, that is where i put my first military buildings.I'll add that in later when i have more time.

Matt the Great II
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 05-05-02 08:10 AM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
Good job!

Just two little things that are quite important:

1. Always build an AA turret in the place where you will be building a new CC.
If ore permits, build also 1 turret - they are great to take down enemy strikes and infantry that normally come with the pummels.

2. Send 3 Strikes and 4-5 Mounties to near each CC and park them there. If carbon ok, send also 1-2 MD.

This should keep most of your CC safe throughout the game - and certainly in T3, which is when you need them tht most.

I tend to delay the boom with this a little, but it gets you a safer boom in return.

posted 05-05-02 03:14 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
Having units in your base for protection is useful, if the enemy attacks. However, what if the enemy doesn't attack you, and booms? If that happened, his boom would be better than yours.

If I had units like those lying around, I would send them in the enemy's base; having your units in your base for protection is useful, but having units in the opponent's base is more useful.

Also, if you are attacking them with your units, chances are that they will be too busy defending their base and will leave your base alone.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
posted 05-06-02 03:16 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
Qwerty, you have a good point there.... but I think that it only applies to 1x1.

I mostly play 3x3 and in that type of game SOMEONE will always show up at your door (even when you are being successfuly aggressive and kicking butt elsewhere).

Unless you or your team are all or most on the lead, a good enemy will many times "find" you. Also I'm never the fastest guy in the game, so that makes me vulnerable most of the time. Therefore I tend to take home defense seriously. If you can secure a steady resource flow then you can field a good enough army and not worry getting caught with loss of workers halfway getting that "would-be" kick-butt force...

But I agree with you 110% that you don't need that if you (in 1x1) or your team are on the lead.

posted 05-06-02 03:36 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
I am now completed with this.

Its my hope i will no longer have allies with a grand total of 35 workers

Matt the Great II
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 05-06-02 03:52 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
This looks really good. I have to say that learning how to boom properly really improved my game. You put everything good boomers do down into words. Many will give thanks

One thing I have started to do recently in EXTREMELY long (well, not that long... over 30 minutes on Fast game speed )games is have 2 workers start building power cores like you would put outposts. Yes, I know this is a waste of resources, but when you have carbon coming in at the alarming late T4 no resources left to mine stage it's really not a problem.

The reason I sometimes do this is thus: You have pushed into an enemy and destroyed his main base. He has retreated and is building anew. This helps to search out his hidey holes (he still has LOTS of villagers so spies are to expensive) and keeps him from running around behind you to build anew. When you find him, you already have your power cores up so you can just drop a few military buildings and start producing first attacks and back-ups while your military forces move from wherever they are waiting to this new found locale.

The computer AI will build power-cores all over the map, and I began to wonder why, so I started trying it myself when resources no longer became an issue. I know an expert would never do this, but it has worked for me from time to time.

posted 05-06-02 07:36 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
That actually sounds ;ike it could work. Most likely his troops would have fallen in the battle, unless he retreated with the workers. However, outposts do see farther, and pwoer cores dont really take long to build.

Guess i really cant say though until ive tried it

Matt the Great II
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 05-06-02 11:54 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
Due to the localized resources in games like StarCraft, coming here and seeing this technique laid out for me has been very useful. Expanding on StarCraft usually means overproducing peons until you have like twenty extra then shuttling them over to your new expansion when your hall finishes building, and setting them about to gathering resources. The expansion system on GB seems a lot more freeform and, well, "expansionary" than with SC, which has "Localized expansions" that aren't as realistic. But, the skirmishing is a lot faster on SC, and that's one thing I do like about it.

Thanks for the guide.

posted 05-07-02 02:56 AM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
why build an animal nursery in tech level 3?

"lolers! i'm surrounded by lolers!"
Member of CCDM, a non-producing design group, not yet but soon....
posted 05-07-02 03:35 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
So you can make mounted troopers, which are very useful late game because they are so easy to replace.

Matt the Great II
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 05-19-02 06:31 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
trust the boom queen to come up with a guide like this

Find me on MSN Game Zone as _Skythe_ or _SF_Skythe_ typically...
Waiting on the next SW RTS!!!
Only a few more years to go..
posted 05-19-02 07:24 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
Qwerty about not building a powercore I think that would be a mistake.faster wood upgrades means more wood,and you need a powercore anyway.What if your oppenent is planning to air attack you,and you dont have a powercore?AA turrets cost much more than powercores.So you wold either lose your whole economy or waste resources in AA turrets.
posted 05-19-02 02:11 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
i actually prefer the AA turrets because planes stand no chance vs them

10 fighters vs 10 A troops is victory for the planes. not cost effectively, but in the numbers.

Matt the Great II
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 05-20-02 00:01 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
Not having a power core near your carbon processing center just means that it takes about 40 seconds longer to research the technology. When I research the faster carbon collecting, in easly T2, I only have about 10 or so carbon collectors. 10 carbon collectors gather carbon 20% faster for 40 seconds is only 10-20 extra carbon.

I did not say don't build a power core. I just said I don't build it next to my carbon processing center very often. It only gives me 10-20 extra carbon, and I find that building a power core between my base and my enemy's base works better. This means that my military buildings are between my enemy enemy's base and mine, and when my units come out of the buildings, it will be between the enemy and I, so it can intercept any enemy units coming to attack my base.

Besides, most of the time, I forward build, so I can't afford to (and would have no reason to) build a power core near my carbon processing center just so the carbon technology can be researched faster.

Quote:

What if your oppenent is planning to air attack you,and you dont have a powercore? AA turrets cost much more than powercores. So you wold either lose your whole economy or waste resources in AA turrets.

Last time I checked, AA turrets cost less than a power core, and kills aircraft a lot better than power cores do.

[This message has been edited by Annoyomous (edited 05-20-2002 @ 00:06 AM).]

posted 05-20-02 00:04 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Gimli - Bombers can take out AA turrets fairly well once they get up to them. Bombers do 100+ damage to aa turrets, so 10 shots can kill one. Of course, a pummel drop does the job better.

posted 05-24-02 06:25 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
Of course, with the Power Droid, not having a pc at any outlying building is just silly. At 85 carbon, they're way cheaper than a pc, take no where near as long to build, plus can be waypointed to wherever you need them. (And, since they can move, you can just trumble them along behind your workers when they go to a new patch of whatever they're processing. They're really amazing for use with a shield generator in those foward buildings - assuming you have the ore to make them at each staging area. I've played heavy D with TF and my teammate going heavy O with GE. My D on the doorstep to my mates base kept back the hungry tide of Confed and Rebel forces until he swarmed forth with an AT-AT rush. (Course, I laughed when my sith knight converted an R2 which I left alone - it went on working back at the rebel base, gathering wood, unnoticed by said rebels... so, once I discovered my 'spy' I simply quick built a pc, 4 turrets, and a fortress... the reb's never had a chance )

I do appreciate the info - as this weekend, we're going 5 on 1 against a 'master of the game' - self proclaimed Won't he be surprised

Thanks again,

Theo

posted 05-24-02 08:09 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
power droid?

i guess thats some kind of CC unit cuz i have no idea what the heck that is

Matt the Great II
Member of the LTR Clan
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Strategies » How to boom properly.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames