Please login or register

Strategies

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The SHORT Ultimate guide for going from Rookie/Newbie to Inter
posted 08-27-02 04:13 AM EDT (US)   
Ok. The initial minutes are the key.
I repeat: The INITIAL minutes of the game are the key.
maybe you have not understood the full importance of this, so i'll say it one more time, just for you: The first few minutes of the game are the key.

Got that?

Now the SECRET of it all:

YOU NEED A PLAN.

As simple as that.

This simple guide gives you the tested and proved plans put in place hundreds of times every day by all the good players out there in the Zone. You can watch recordings of good games, just to make sure that what I say here is the truth. Also there are some experts posting here, so I trust that they will back me up, in case there are doubts.

The objective of this guide is to give you a head start in picking a good plan, in doing whatever you need to achieve it and to gear you into competitive mind. Or, if you prefer, if you listen to me, you will become a RUSHER. You know, the type of guy that wins games?...

As you read, you will be presented with the more common plans to date (those that WORK). Just pick one to practice, later you will instinctively pick the right plan for the game (as you look for resources, it usually suggests itself naturally, because resources and plans are tied together...)

So, where do we start?...

It also depends whether you are playing SW:CC or older SW:GB. Because things might a little different.

Part One: Getting Workers and Getting resources.

Your primary objective in T1 is to get at least 26 workers (max. 28-30) and enough resources to go T2 as fast as possible, preferably before 12 minutes (game time).

Keeping nerfs and banthas in animal nurseries only works well in CC.
It would require a power core in GB. Do it in GB only for EXCESS nerfs/banthas (in GB excess nerfs/banthas are those over 10) and use the power core of the Trop Center to maximize their food intake. This will delay your T2/T3 time, which can be fatal, so only do this if you are swimming in food!...)
As for CC, anything in excess of 1/2 nerfs/banthas is good for the nursery. 4 or more nerfs/banthas in a nursery are a HUGE difference in regards to food. Even 3 are quite noticeable improvement.

Now, the key is to follow this preference order for food:

SW:GB:

1) Nerfs/banthas: EAT THEM!!!
2) Hunt (if bundled, else only if nothing else)
3) Shore fish (many maps give you as many as 3 fish patches at the reach of a single food processing center!)
4) Berries (watch well where you place the FPC, or your workers will spend more time bumping into each other and making detours than harvesting!)

SW:CC:

1) Nerfs/banthas: Garrison them in animal nurseries!
2) Hunt (if bundled, else only if nothing else)
3) Shore fish (many maps give you as many as 3 fish patches at the reach of a single food processing center!)
4) Berries (watch well where you place the FPC, or your workers will spend more time bumping into each other and making detours than harvesting!)

So, what's the difference? Garrisoning nerfs/banthas of course. In GB you eat them all - in CC you eat only the first one or two to start producing workers without delay.

Part Two: Military Strategy.

The primary objective of your strategy is to attck first and stronger.
In other words: You want to RUSH.

I purposedly ignore here any considerations on defense - AU_Skythe has already explained that well in another thread on this forum - go read it if you will ever need it.

As for the rest of your strategy, it depends also on the various types of games.

Again, there are 4 different strategies, 2 for CC and 2 for GB.

SW:GB

1x1

As quickly as you can, attack with Troopers and do a nice Turret push (explained already in this Forum, so... no need to enter details here).

Team 2x2

Individually do the same to your man.

Team 3x3 or 4x4:

If you are in aisle, do the same.

If you're pocket you can go fast T3 and use Fighters or Strike Mechs.

SW:CC

1x1

As quickly as you can, attack with Troopers. Turrets (due to their long building time) are not an option in CC.

In an high food map (20+ Nerfs) go with a Mountie Rush (T2, fully upgraded).

Variant: Use 3 Mounties in T1, go disturb his Carbon (or kill a power coe, if you see one already!). Then, follow up with Troopers. Usually works very well, even in low food maps!

Team 2x2

Individually do the same to your man.

Team 3x3 or 4x4:

If you are in aisle, do the same.

If you're pocket you can go fast T3 and use Fighters or Strike Mechs.
In this case, Strike Mechs will do a lot better, since in GB Fighters kill workers less efficiently and Strikes have been bolstered for Worker killing.

Part Three: Special Resource arrangements in T1 and T2:

You will always adjust resource gathering to the type of military strategy that you are pursueing!

Give utmost priority to FOOD! (regardless of strategy)

Next priority is CARBON. (regardless of strategy)

Adjustments:

Regulate carbon: Carbon just enough for buildings and Troopers - UNLESS you plan to T3 with Strike Mechs, in which case do increase carbon share in resource gathering.

Nova:

Really, really ONLY give importance to it if you plan to go Fighters (I simply ignore the Jedi option, have yet to see it work).
Normally just put 1 or 2 at the end of T1 on it and maybe 1-2 more in T2.
If you are going fast T3+Mechs, you can even sell some extra food to get the Nova that's missing. remember, mechs only need Food+carbon (lots of Carbon).

Ore:

Maybe 2-3 guys on Ore AFTER you start to go T3. Ore is essential to make the first pair of Command centers and start your T3 "Boom".

Final hint:

Be FOCUSED in resource gathering to get the resources needed for your military plan.

Part Four: Booming

Independently from the Military strategy that you are carrying, when you reach T3 you also need to BOOM.

Booming means crate Command Centers and take your worker population to about a 100 in T3 (you will make more workers in T4, but make it an objective to have about a 100 in T3).

Why?... The answer is obvious: To create a good army with good upgrades you need resources. And WHO gets you those resources? And who builds the military buildings? WORKERS!!!
So, you need Workers - lots of them and Quick!

How to get Workers Quick?... From MULTIPLE Command Centers!

Now that you know the full logic of booming, go ahead, make extra CC near resources always carbon + nova or carbon + ore and make sure that near every CC you make some 7-8 farms as you go.

Precaution and Hint:

Never queue more that 2 workers at eaxh CC. For every Worker coming out of a CC follow this order (change if you need to, but try to keep this pattern):
2 to carbon
1 to farm
1 to Nova/Ore

For every 4 Workers coming out of a CC repeat the pattern.
This will give you ample stuff to make military AND Workers at the same time!

Now, you won't be a Rook anymore after you do this consistently in your games.

Beyond this, the Sky is the limit.

Note: I will post another topic, after this one, with TACTICAL tips. In other words, I will try to help with micromanagement of both workers and military, in order to help you gain advantage with your economy and in the battles. Those will only be an assortment of tips that the Inters++ use on their daily games. NOT the whole stuff.

Finally, I will post some TEAM STRATEGIES that I have seen in the Zone (only a few, because I do not know about that many...).

[This message has been edited by Paralyticus (edited 08-27-2002 @ 06:10 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-27-02 06:19 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6  
Hey pretty nice book, I mean post lol.

Matt the Great II
My n00bish little underscore will kill you!
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 08-27-02 07:02 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6  
When he finishes college some day and starts a career, Paralyticus will probably be writing game guides for the games that exist then. He likes to write long posts. Tisk, tisk, tease, tease....
posted 08-27-02 07:09 AM EDT (US)     3 / 6  
Now this is the kinda stuff we need! A Short guide which sums up all the useful points of a game! nice post particituculus guy (whats your zone name)

Find me on MSN Game Zone as _Skythe_ or _SF_Skythe_ typically...
Waiting on the next SW RTS!!!
Only a few more years to go..
posted 08-27-02 09:32 AM EDT (US)     4 / 6  
Thanks, guys.

Any of the Inters in this board can (and HAVE done so) beat me to a pulp. I like to consider myself an extremely good Rook - some people like to call me Inter, but that's exageration, I think.

My zone name is TS_Wise_Max and I probably played with most of you before (I remember taking great lessons from Nazgul, 11th Fool (this guy rocks!), KnighlyJedi, Gimli, the good xX...Xx of old, many Mechs, Siths, Jorts, AU's, and what not.

All of them beat me in this or that way, causing me to learn a bunch of stuff in the process.

That's what I try to pass on to the Random Map Rooks, so that they can (in turn) beat me, LOL!

Because, despite the fact that you CAN learn a lot, it does not follow automatically that you CAN DO that lot, LOL!... That's my case: I know a lot, but I can't make it....

posted 08-27-02 09:39 AM EDT (US)     5 / 6  
Oh yea ive seen you around a bit. Know a few TS's , Spart, um... Spart etc.. i used to have the same probelm. i used to lag so much i couldnt play 1 vs 1 without PSYCOTIC lag! so i used to read and watch rec games all day and write big strategies like i do now on this game )

Find me on MSN Game Zone as _Skythe_ or _SF_Skythe_ typically...
Waiting on the next SW RTS!!!
Only a few more years to go..
posted 08-27-02 04:27 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6  
ic so ur wise max....ive played with u

im _MeGa_JoRt_

Obi Wan Jabroni
Zone Name: _iMeGa__
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Strategies » The SHORT Ultimate guide for going from Rookie/Newbie to Inter
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames