loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Continuous Screenshot Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10  Next Page »
posted 11-30-07 12:10 PM EDT (US)   

Thanks to The Real Bryl for this

Welcome_one_and_all_to_the_The_Continuous_Screenshot_Competi tion

____-_How_it_works_-____

First, I will choose a mapdesign catagory. Then, everyone who participates will have to take a screenshot of scenery from the specified catagory. After 5 days, the current competition will close, and no other entries will be accepted. The people who did not participate will then vote for who they think took the best screenshot. After another 3 days, the votes will be tallied by me, and a winner will be chosen. The voted winner will then choose a catagory for the other designers to take a screenshot from. The winner will be voted for, and will select a new catagory. Then, the system repeats itself continuously, hence the title.

____-_Rules_-____
  • No catagory may be used twice.

• You may only enter one screenshot per catagory.

• The previous winner cannot compete in the competition he/she set the catagory for. (For that person would of had an advantage otherwise)

• No pasting pictures into your screenshots of anything(text is an exception).

• When it comes to editing your screenshot in a program like Paint, you can remove toolbars/change them to a new border for decoration, but you may not use effects or the program to edit the base of your sceenshot. Any text or effects must not interfere with the screenshot, and these will only be added for presentation, for example giving your screenshot on a wide-screen background would only add to presentation. Voters are reminded the content of the screenshot is what is being voted on, not editing it afterward in a paint program.

• No mapshots. (In other words, no using a full map shot of an entire scenario/map)

• No modpacks or ANY FORM OF MODDING UNIT GRAPHICS

• The definition of “new unit” for the sake of this competition is that a unit that does not use graphics that are not including ingame, using the game data to access hidden units is acceptable. For example, the Death star is allowed for it is included in game, just hidden. But if you used a new unit you modded yourself, for example a mounted a new type of hero or jedi, though both unit graphics are in game, you would be combining them to make a new unit that had not been shipped with the game. If you have question on this part of the rulings, or you are unsure if your unit is allowed, please feel free to get into contact.

• No taking screenshots from campaigns/scenarios that you did not create.

• This is an open competition. No need to sign up, just post a screenshot that abides to the selected catagory.

• Screenshots must be made only for this competition. No using screenshots previously taken for any reason. You may, however, take screenshots from your campaign in the works that you have announced, but it must be taken specifically for this competition.

• Comptition and voting statuses will close at 11:59AM forum time on the designated deadline.(Maybe later it depends if i am online)

• Cropping Images to remove the game toolbars IS allowed. (You can remove where it says "Tech Level 2" and where it displays the minimap")

• The previous winner and the selecter of the catagory MAY vote.

• All votes must be formated as such:
    [b]Vote: forumer you are voting for[/b]
  • If you are participating in the current competition, you cannot vote for fellow contestants. (If this rules was not in place - tatical voting may occur, thus spoiling the system)

• No editing of your screenshot once it has been posted as an entry for the competition (no editing the content/scenery). However Editing typos/spelling errors in text included with/in your screenshot IS allowed

• If you are caught trying to make smurf accounts or getting people to sign up to SWGBH so they can vote for you, and they never post and they only use their registration to give you a vote, you will be disqualified from the week, and for a further length of time based on my discretion . Trying to fix the ballot is a very serious rule, and any attempt to break this rule will have serious consequences.

• No flaming to other forummers. Critism of people's work must be contrustive

• Don't whine if you did not win, better luck next time

• Do NOT suggest a theme to the winner, this be via email, MSN or the thread, if you do you will be banned from entering for set period of time. (we are doing this because the person would have an advantage if they new the category already before ot was announced.

• Have fun, and try hard!

• ____- Useful Info -____

• To take a screenshot, press the "Print Screen" on your keyboard - the picture will be then saved In your main SWGB folder (My Computer -> Progam Files -> Lucas Arts -> Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds -> Game -> Screenshots)

• F11 removes the game time from view

Some image hosters that DO NOT require REGISTRATION:

• http://xs.to/

• http://imageshack.us/

Some image hosters that DO require REGISTRATION:

• www.putfile.com/

• www.photobucket.com/

Hall_Of_Fame
    Category - Winner - No Votes
    A city scene - thepunkguy - 5
    Disaster - Darth Bandon - 5
    Best Famous Star Wars Moment Recreation Screenshot - Revan - 5
    Desert Scene -Delta2203 - 4
    Space Station - Noobo - 3

Most_wins:
    The punk guy 1
    Darth Bandon 1
    Revan 1
    Delta2203 1
    Noobo 1

• Satus: Open(closes on the 25th )
    Category:A Dream

Current Competitors:
    Selur
    Noobo

Thread nicked from AOKH

[This message has been edited by Epic Commander (edited 03-24-2008 @ 07:00 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 11-30-07 01:59 PM EDT (US)     1 / 279  
    uploading my image now... Give me a second and I'll update this post with the image for my entry.

Edit: Here's my entry.

[This message has been edited by Orrion Carn (edited 11-30-2007 @ 02:07 PM).]

posted 11-30-07 02:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 279  
    I like the screen Orrion.
    posted 11-30-07 02:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 279  
    Thanks, after all this time of failer campaigns... I've worked on improving my skills... Nothing to facy as you can see...

posted 11-30-07 02:43 PM EDT (US)     4 / 279  
    Hopefully we can make this a contest by getting more entrants

[This message has been edited by EPIc Commander (edited 11-30-2007 @ 02:46 PM).]

posted 11-30-07 07:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 279  
    Lol, no one. just like my comp

in00b
    posted 11-30-07 08:24 PM EDT (US)     6 / 279  
    Lol, no one. just like my comp
    Something tells me the inactivity of SD wasn't really the reason behind no one entering your "comp".
    posted 12-01-07 02:34 AM EDT (US)     7 / 279  
    Come on guys!

We want to make this into a competition, not one guy entering and winning
    posted 12-01-07 07:19 AM EDT (US)     8 / 279  
    Best of luck with this, but, sadly, most past competitions that have been run were run by the most well known and 'best' forummers, yet they still failed.

Still, good luck.

Theo
    Last.fm Twitter

"Shut up Herr." - Arkhane
    posted 12-01-07 07:24 AM EDT (US)     9 / 279  
    Why do you not enter?
    posted 12-01-07 07:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 279  
    We want to make this into a competition, not one guy entering and winning
    NO! LET ONE MAN WIN! lol.

posted 12-02-07 00:12 AM EDT (US)     11 / 279  
    This thread would've been hugely successful 4 years ago.

Generalissimo TCP | FREE SYRIA!
    Xaph's Forumer of the Year '08, Best Thread and Most likely to be sigged, '08
    "I think George W. Bush is closer to being the single greatest president in US history" - Merai
    posted 12-02-07 02:39 AM EDT (US)     12 / 279  
    Thank you, but this is not 4 years ago, has designing/people playing SWGB/being bothered to take a screenshot really got this bad?
    posted 12-02-07 06:49 AM EDT (US)     13 / 279  
    Yes.

Four years ago the forum would have a full page of active threads, all red folders.

Theo
    Last.fm Twitter

posted 12-02-07 12:29 PM EDT (US)     14 / 279  
    Id really like to see something like this take off, so here are a few suggestions:

a) Get a smaller and more professional looking banner, maybe request one in the bitmap request thread or if your really desperate I might make one for you.
    Sometimes just a simple yet bold title over the thread background pattern can look most effective.

b) Refine some of your rules:
    GeniED can be used (But with restrictions)
    To what extent? This is very vague perhaps supply some examples
    The definition of “new unit” for the sake of this competition is that a unit that does not use graphics that are not including ingame, using the game data to access hidden units is acceptable. For example, the Beta Cavalry is allowed for it is included in game, just hidden. But if you used a new unit you modded yourself, for example a mounted throwing axe-man, though both unit graphics are in game, you would be combining them to make a new unit that had not been shipped with the game. If you have question on this part of the rulings, or you are unsure if your unit is allowed, please feel free to get into contact.
    Change the AoK examples to SWGB maybe? (Death star, Star destroyer etc..)

c) I hope you realise that this will probably take a lot of commitment in regards to updating the threads content with votes/previous winners etc? Make sure you know what your doing.

d) You haven't mentioned a deadline anywhere? Id suggest having about 5 days for submitting to keep the contest moving.

Good luck anyway and expect a screenshot shortly

EDIT: Enter Theo you Sissy little bitch

[This message has been edited by thepunkguy (edited 12-02-2007 @ 12:31 PM).]

posted 12-02-07 12:40 PM EDT (US)     15 / 279  
    CBA!

Theo
    Last.fm Twitter

posted 12-02-07 01:03 PM EDT (US)     16 / 279  
    @thepunkguy: Thanks, I am committed to this and i am willing to update it regularly

Lets just hope it picks up.

[This message has been edited by Epic Commander (edited 12-02-2007 @ 01:04 PM).]

posted 12-02-07 01:44 PM EDT (US)     17 / 279  
    Decided to make a banner for you. Just click and copy the code below, and paste it into the main post.
    [img]http://xs322.xs.to/xs322/07480/thishadbetterwork.png[/img]
    EDIT: Dude, center the banner and put the credit to me at the bottom or something.

Mistadobalina
    Don't be sad it happened, be happy it's over.

[This message has been edited by The Real Bryl (edited 12-03-2007 @ 11:03 AM).]

posted 12-02-07 01:51 PM EDT (US)     18 / 279  
    Thanks for that Real Bryl, I've put it up
    posted 12-02-07 01:55 PM EDT (US)     19 / 279  
    No problem. I'll submit an entry in a moment.

Mistadobalina
    posted 12-02-07 02:02 PM EDT (US)     20 / 279  
    Why not !? I am entering too.

-- Revan--

u called down the thunder...
    ...now reap the whirlwind !
    posted 12-02-07 02:35 PM EDT (US)     21 / 279  

Mistadobalina
    posted 12-02-07 02:57 PM EDT (US)     22 / 279  

The "Smuggler's Moon". Nar Shaddaa's docks.

(On a second view I could have done it more "full"...

PS - Bryl : Nice but add some trees/plants man !

-- Revan--

u called down the thunder...
    ...now reap the whirlwind !

[This message has been edited by Revan (edited 12-02-2007 @ 02:59 PM).]

posted 12-02-07 03:13 PM EDT (US)     23 / 279  
    That's awesome Revan.
    PS - Bryl : Nice but add some trees/plants man !
    *sigh* Too late now.

Mistadobalina
    posted 12-02-07 06:54 PM EDT (US)     24 / 279  
    Good job Bryl and Revan. I may join too, but maybe in the next category. Except if we can change the deadline from 4th to 6th of October...

:| Darth Bandon |:
    :| Free Lance |:
    posted 12-02-07 08:07 PM EDT (US)     25 / 279  
    @Bryl: Is that screenie from a campaign or did you just invent a story for it?

Proud Bearer of the Imperial Legion of SWU's Distinguished Newbie Award
    < o >
    Someone needs to get a hold of Ocelot and put the NJO Mod Project back on the road.
    "Your right, we should just unban everyone and let them go crazy. Who needs a orderly and friendly forum society when you can have total anarchy, eh?"-Blackmoon
    FREE TIBET!
    posted 12-03-07 02:19 AM EDT (US)     26 / 279  
    Updated, nice shots Bryl and Revan
    posted 12-03-07 11:02 AM EDT (US)     27 / 279  
    @Bryl: Is that screenie from a campaign or did you just invent a story for it?
    Heh, no. Although, I have always wanted to create some form of Naboo themed scenario.

Mistadobalina
    posted 12-03-07 12:53 PM EDT (US)     28 / 279  
    Get your entries in

Voting is to commence tommorow.
    posted 12-03-07 06:03 PM EDT (US)     29 / 279  
    Woohoo! AoMH stole it as well. I will make screenshots for you on a regular basis if you direct me to the right tools. I'll need something to hide the UI, hide unit outlines etc.
    Or are those even available? I'm too used to the scenario design haven of Age of Mythology.

EDIT: Epic Comander you should enter a screenie! ;p
    You ruined that rule. The maker should be allowed to compete, but he can not win.

You also forgot some good rules. One for instance is, No suggesting the next theme to the winner. This can get out of hand sometimes and turn the thread into spam.

I never asked for this.

[This message has been edited by Nitro Tractor (edited 12-03-2007 @ 06:15 PM).]

posted 12-04-07 00:47 AM EDT (US)     30 / 279  
    That would be good if you entered Nitro

The only thing you need is the map editor for SWGB and off you go (obviously some more stuff i think its 5AM and i am dead so...)
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10  Next Page »
    SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » The Continuous Screenshot Competition
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames