You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How To Make Your Very Own Text Crawl!
posted 10-05-02 09:45 PM EDT (US)   
Text crawls: you've seen them in campaigns, but just how exactly do you make your own? This guide is dedicated to getting you familiar with how text crawls work and how to create one yourself. A text crawl is time-consuming, difficult, and frustrating, but once finished it is a very rewarding component of a scenario.

Step 1: Your Text

Text crawls typically consist of the Star Wars logo (text only, a logo is impossible in Galactic Battlegrounds), the title of the campaign/movie, and three blocks of text, two or three sentences each. At the end of the last block of text, an ellipses (. . . .) is used. And of course, there is the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . ." line preceding all of this.

First, of all, before you start your text crawl, write/type out exactly what you want the text to be. Try to make each block approximately equal length.

Step 2: Preliminary Construction

The background of the screen should be black. The text, in blue: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . ." In the Display Instructions dialog, find the "Number" box and enter the value "2." This makes the text appear in the middle of the screen. (The lowest you can go in Galactic Battlegrounds). Now, the spacing part is really tricky. You need your text to appear in the center of the screen, but unfortunately, there is no auto-centering option. You have to experiment with spaces until you get it right in the middle.

Step 3: The Text Crawl Begins!

After a 10-15 second pause, the famous Star Wars logo shows up on the screen. All you can do is type in "STAR WARS;" you can't make an actual logo. Again, type "2" in the "Number" box. Since the "STAR" is on top of the "WARS," you need to align the "STAR" in the middle of the screen the same way you aligned "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." Then, you need to skip a bunch more spaces until "WARS" is exactly beneath "STAR." Pressing "Enter" does not work! If you recall, the "STAR WARS" logo recedes into the background in the movies, so your next line, the title of your scenario, should replace it instead of appearing below it. This line is fairly straight-forward; just type in the title and align it with spacing. (Don't forget to type in "Number: 2.")

There are two other things you need to do at this step: change to a starry background, (with a Map Revealer 8; since Map Revealers cannot be placed in space, you'll need to Map Copy one from Ykkrosh's Visible Starfield Template and use a "Change Ownership" effect.) The other thing is the famous Star Wars Main Theme. You can copy the Main Theme from your Sound/Stream folder into your Sound/Scenario folder, or use one of the 10+ other recordings of the Main Theme. (My personal favorite is Take 18 of the A New Hope Main Theme.) Remember, you'll have to time your blocks of text so that the text crawl ends at the same time the music does.

Step 4: The Body of the Text Crawl

It gets trickier now. You want your first two or three lines of your text crawl to appear underneath your title, since the words scroll upward. How do you do this? Well, type in your new line of text (more on this in a second) and type "Number: 2." Then, copy and paste your title from the previous trigger, but type "Number: 1" in. This will make it appear above the line below it. Now, for the line below, a lot of trial and error is required. Often this has more than one line of text, so you have to align it and get the line below it to match up (again, all you can do is type spaces.) The two or three lines of text all need to be the same length, so you'll have to adjust the spacing of your words; double-space them, even triple-space them, alter your text so it fits better, whatever it takes.

Step 5: Wrapping Up

The next two blocks of text use the same concept. Remember to set the "Number" value of the previous block to the number before it until the text has gone off the screen (Values - 0, 1, 2). Because timing can be really tricky, you need to use "Clear Instructions" effects once new text stops appearing and the remaining text scrolls up. Once the text crawl ends, the view gradually scrolls down, and then the scenario begins.

You're now done...

Happy Text Crawling!

Chook | Galactic Battlegrounds Heaven
"I can't think of a better way on earth to build public favor than [the marriage equality movement], other than of course rounding up the Jews." - Sarthos
"Long story short, our goal is love and tolerance." - Sarthos

[This message has been edited by Cerrabore (edited 01-26-2003 @ 11:52 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-05-02 10:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
Cool! I think I'll use it. Thanks for showing us that Cerrabore!

|Darth Vushum|
|EDOTMWH|
|n00b|
posted 10-05-02 11:19 PM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
I'll have to use that in AST. Thanks!

Man, I hate using spaces to center things. Especially if the text box isn't the same as when it shows up! It's soooo time-consuming! Oh well...

Cerrabore, if you really want people to like you then you should tell them (Approx.) the number of spaces that the opening line and STAR WARS should have to look good!

~} Admiral Piett - Gold Edition! {~
~} The deranged leader of SEDM {~
~} A Proud Member of Galactic Battlestar {~
~} "If men evolved from apes, why do we still have apes?" {~

[This message has been edited by Admiral Piett (edited 10-05-2002 @ 11:21 PM).]

posted 10-05-02 11:44 PM EDT (US)     3 / 29  
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...: [61 Spaces]A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

STAR WARS: [92 Spaces]STAR[147 Spaces]WARS

Keep in mind these may not be exactly centered.

"I can't think of a better way on earth to build public favor than [the marriage equality movement], other than of course rounding up the Jews." - Sarthos
posted 10-05-02 11:46 PM EDT (US)     4 / 29  
There's your answer Piett.

|Darth Vushum|
|EDOTMWH|
|n00b|
posted 10-06-02 00:15 AM EDT (US)     5 / 29  
Wow, I didn't think you could do that so soon! Nice job!

posted 10-06-02 00:53 AM EDT (US)     6 / 29  
Think u can do that for my campaign
posted 10-06-02 01:35 AM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
I already had that information on hand since I'd made my own text crawl - I'm not going to figure out the number of spaces for every piece of text. You can figure out the spaces on your own.

posted 10-06-02 01:39 AM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
It is also possible to make the bullet text like the military movies where it gives the time and location as if someone were writing it out on a keyboard .

|Yehoshua Yisraél|152711297|
|Hashém yevarékhet Yisraél|
|SCN Punk| |SWGB Punk|AoM Punk|
|The Color of Justice|Previous Accomplishments|
posted 10-06-02 11:14 AM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
Yoshi, didn't you use that in Dark Rising? I was recently playing it and could have sworn I saw something like that!

[This message has been edited by Admiral Piett (edited 10-06-2002 @ 11:15 AM).]

posted 10-06-02 11:19 AM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
Cool! And Yoshi, how do you do the bullet text? What does a map revealer do?

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 10-06-02 11:22 AM EDT (US)     11 / 29  

Quoted from Moff Yittreas:

What does a map revealer do?

It points you to the Editor Guide

Wok?
posted 10-06-02 01:31 PM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
Yes Yoshi! How do we do bullet text?

Corran Horn
archangel@bresnan.net
"I bow to no one and I give service only for cause."
-Boba Fett
posted 10-06-02 01:33 PM EDT (US)     13 / 29  
I should imagine that you just display several sets of instructions, each with one letter more than the previous one. For example:

H
He
Hel
Help
Help!

Wok?
posted 10-06-02 06:46 PM EDT (US)     14 / 29  
Chook, I believe that in the movies, the Star Wars text was like this:
Star Wars

not:
Star
Wars

¤~{Tantive}~¤
¤~{Proud Member of CCD Masters}~¤
¤~{Founder of SWS Reviewers}~¤
¤~{Road to Rebellion}~¤
¤~{"Now I want to go everywhere, before,}~¤
¤~{I didn't know there was an everywhere.-Fredericka}~¤

[This message has been edited by Tantive_IV (edited 10-06-2002 @ 06:47 PM).]

posted 10-06-02 07:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
Hey! I thought that looked weird!

*Sticks tounge out at Cerrabore*
j/k

posted 10-07-02 03:58 PM EDT (US)     16 / 29  
I always wondered how to do that.

Scenario Designer and DM player.
My AotC campaign is gonna kick ***!!!!!!
brandon_stoner0.tripod.com best SW site on the web
DL my new campaign= Padawan's Destiny Part 1-Dark Enterprise
posted 10-07-02 04:30 PM EDT (US)     17 / 29  
Actually, Tantive, the Star Wars text in the movie does indeed display as:

STAR
WARS

[This message has been edited by Cerrabore (edited 10-07-2002 @ 04:30 PM).]

posted 11-20-02 01:31 AM EDT (US)     18 / 29  
Why do I post in a topic that has expired?
posted 11-20-02 08:36 PM EDT (US)     19 / 29  
Hey thanks, maybe I will use this in my Star Wars: Shadow Guardian project. Wish this topic was a sticky, then it wouldn't go away.
posted 11-23-02 06:25 PM EDT (US)     20 / 29  
Nah. You can't make everything sticky, and it should be official threads only. Anyways, I might update this soon if I can figure out how to create an actual Star Wars logo using the Scenario Generator. More on this later.

posted 11-28-02 01:47 PM EDT (US)     21 / 29  
Chook, may I use this for the RTSDM Editor Guide?

My signature.

Because everyone else has one.
posted 11-28-02 02:23 PM EDT (US)     22 / 29  
Isn't Star Wars together in the begining of the scroll?

"No reward is worth this!"
[Zone name]SU_Tango_Fett
posted 11-28-02 04:47 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29  
*cough, cough*

Generalissimo TCP | FREE SYRIA!
Xaph's Forumer of the Year '08, Best Thread and Most likely to be sigged, '08
"I think George W. Bush is closer to being the single greatest president in US history" - Merai
posted 11-28-02 08:47 PM EDT (US)     24 / 29  

Quoted from Tantive:

Chook, may I use this for the RTSDM Editor Guide?

Yeah, of course.

The stupid logo thing is going nowhere in the Scenario Generator. By comparison, it might actually be better to mod a building into a Star Wars logo.

[This message has been edited by Cerrabore (edited 01-26-2003 @ 11:40 AM).]

posted 01-24-03 08:16 PM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
Quote from Cerrabore:
"with a Map Revealer 8; since Map Revealers cannot be placed in space, you'll need to Map Copy one from Ykkrosh's Visible Starfield Template and use a "Change Ownership" effect"
End quote:

What do you mean by using the change ownership effect, how do you use it? one more thing, how do i keep from being defeted as soon as the map starts?

Thanks!

"No reward is worth this!"
[Zone name]SU_Tango_Fett
posted 01-24-03 08:33 PM EDT (US)     26 / 29  
Or, instead of that, one could simply put the revealer on standard terrain, then replace the terrain with Starfield.

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 01-26-03 04:23 AM EDT (US)     27 / 29  
Okay, so I don't have anything to add on HOW to do it, but I felt that I should add a couple of points as to how it should be done.

To make it look authentic, your crawl has to be _three_ paragraphs long and all important nouns are capitalized.

i.e. (and this is not a quote) Imperial Forces are chasing the ship, TANTIVE IV in order to capture PRINCESS LEIA and regain the plans to the DEATH STAR battle station.....

Sorry to be picky...but something in the back of your brain won't accept it if you ignore these lucasfilm conventions.

posted 01-26-03 08:43 AM EDT (US)     28 / 29  
Look again. You don't need to capitalize every important noun, only some for "Dramatic Emphasis."

I, Personally, just use Windows Movie Maker to put together a bunch of painted files, add SW intro music (folder: Lucasarts/Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds/game/sound/stream/OPEN.mp3), and put it all together. Then I put in the readme the order in which to watch certain movies and play the campaign.
For Example:

First, play SWIntro.avi, then play all the way through the campaign. Once beaten, play SWClosing-credits.avi

Campaign Masters!!!
SWGB
StarCraft
WarCraft III
AOE II

[This message has been edited by JTReese (edited 01-26-2003 @ 08:46 AM).]

posted 01-26-03 11:45 AM EDT (US)     29 / 29  

Quote:

What do you mean by using the change ownership effect, how do you use it? one more thing, how do i keep from being defeted as soon as the map starts?

You'll have to change ownership of the Map Revealers if you don't want the space where they are to be explored when you start (e.g. from Player 2 > Player 1). If you don't mind it already being explored, just copy Map Revealers for Player 1 from the Improved Visible Starfield Template.

Quoted from JTReese:

I, Personally, just use Windows Movie Maker to put together a bunch of painted files, add SW intro music (folder: Lucasarts/Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds/game/sound/stream/OPEN.mp3), and put it all together. Then I put in the readme the order in which to watch certain movies and play the campaign.

That would be the best way, but consider the file size of the AVI...

SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » How To Make Your Very Own Text Crawl!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames